Adding a stable mate to my railway

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Adding a stable mate to my railway

Post by artfull dodger » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:49 am

I sold some stuff I had for sale, which gave me the funds to pick up a second engine. Since even before I got my Argyll, I have had my eyes on this Merlin Mayflower that is on ebay on my side of the pond. Nobody was biting at his price, I thought it was a fair price once you research what it costs to get a similar engine from the UK and ship it to the states. While she hasn't steamed in many years, was his late fathers. He looks to be in good shape from the pics and I have a friend that can do most repairs that are above my skill set if needed. I have, since I got into live steam and was exposed to the pictures and stories from the Longlands and Western and Tag Gorton, I have had a love of the little Mayflower. I have always hoped that RH or Accucraft would remake him. Some of the generic Accucraft engines have the spirit but look to chunky to my eye. So I paid the piper, rolled the dice and bought a Merlin. I did speak privately with him and he remembers his dad running it and that it ran well. He is incorrect on the brand of the RC, its not Futaba, but a KO Propo which was a high end radio system back in the day. Still looking for a complete vintage set to put back in my old RC10 car. A good polish of all the brass is one of the first tasks. Here is a pic lifted from the auction, will take more and a video of the first steam up in over 25 years once he arrives. Mike the Aspie.
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:53 am

This engine lacks the factory RC controled whistle. How did Merlin control the whisle and can it be added to an engine that lacks it? I have a Regner whistle that I could mount below the boiler, but till I get the engine in my hands, I do not know where, if possible, to get steam from or how to control it. Just curious how it was done on models that had that feature vs ones that lack it. Mike

Killian Keane
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Killian Keane » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:03 pm

All the best of luck with her, a real looker there :D I hope she won't give too much trouble getting her back into steam ;)
Blokes with tea can build anything

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:10 pm

I am going to try and shoot a cell phone video of the first steam up, pass or fail. The engine doesn't look abused by any means. Anything Merlin is hard to find over here and to get one from the UK is as much as a new RH engine time exchange rate and shipping is factored in. I was on the fence to get this or another RH engine. But, the old Mayflower was to much to resist having been one engine I have always wanted. Thanks Mike the Aspie

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:15 pm

artfull dodger:122064 wrote:This engine lacks the factory RC controled whistle.  How did Merlin control the whisle and can it be added to an engine that lacks it?  I have a Regner whistle that I could mount below the boiler, but till I get the engine in my hands, I do not know where, if possible, to get steam from or how to control it.   Just curious how it was done on models that had that feature vs ones that lack it.   Mike
The whistle was an option on a few of the larger loco not the Mayflower. I have a Major and there is a servo controlled piston valve in the chassis that operates the whistle.

These locos have the minimum boiler bushes to finding a place to fit a whistle valve is not easy. You would have to make a fitting to go on the pressure gauge or level plug bush.
Cheers, Steve

Killian Keane
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Killian Keane » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:16 pm

Im really hoping you wont need any spare parts!  ;) there like hens teeth even over here, unless you have machine tools to manufacture parts yourself of course

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:20 pm

I've turned into a bit of  Merlin collector as they were the locos I dreamed of when a teenager. The mid period locos with the revering valve seem to run well if stored dry for a long time, once you have cleaned off the old dried up oil. Ones which look well used can be a problem if bits are worn. There were also a few ones with manufacturing errors in the early and later periods. I have an identical Mayflower to yours and it runs great as does her larger sister.
Cheers, Steve

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:22 pm

I am friends with Jim Sanders of WeeBee loco works fame, he helps me take care of my engines and can fix or machine most items I might need.  I know spare parts are super rare.  If the cylinders take a crap, I am guessing replacement with RH ones is the best route.  I have my RH Argyll as my main engine, so I am not relying on the Mayflower as my primary engine.  That is why I didnt buy it before the holidays.  I wanted atleast one engine that has good parts availablity.  The Mayflower is more of a nostalgia engine, to be run on passenger specials and till I get RC into the Argyll.  My line demands RC to be safely run with live steam.  Right now its 3'F with wind chills around -14'F, so the railway is asleep for the winter.  I just steam up on blocks indoors right now to get my steam needs filled.  I make my whole little train room smell like a steam engine!    Mike the Aspie

Killian Keane
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Killian Keane » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:23 pm

funandtrains:122071 wrote:I've turned into a bit of  Merlin collector as they were the locos I dreamed of when a teenager. The mid period locos with the revering valve seem to run well if stored dry for a long time, once you have cleaned off the old dried up oil. Ones which look well used can be a problem if bits are worn. There were also a few ones with manufacturing errors in the early and later periods.
I too fall into the 'smitten by merlins' club! :lol: merlin collectors are much like alfa romeo collectors, we have many so that at any given time theres a good chance that one is in working order!

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:26 pm

Killian Keane:122073 wrote:
funandtrains:122071 wrote:I've turned into a bit of  Merlin collector as they were the locos I dreamed of when a teenager. The mid period locos with the revering valve seem to run well if stored dry for a long time, once you have cleaned off the old dried up oil. Ones which look well used can be a problem if bits are worn. There were also a few ones with manufacturing errors in the early and later periods.
I too fall into the 'smitten by merlins' club!  :lol: merlin collectors are much like alfa romeo collectors, we have many so that at any given time theres a good chance that one is in working order!
There are some people who like to bad mouth their reliability but I see a lot more 1980's in nice running condition that Roundhouse locos from the same period. Plus the Merlins look way nicer!
Cheers, Steve

Killian Keane
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Killian Keane » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:33 pm

funandtrains:122074 wrote:
I too fall into the 'smitten by merlins' club!  :lol: merlin collectors are much like alfa romeo collectors, we have many so that at any given time theres a good chance that one is in working order!
There are some people who like to bad mouth their reliability but I see a lot more 1980's in nice running condition that Roundhouse locos from the same period. Plus the Merlins look way nicer!
They do look far better! (well maybe not the beck) I would far sooner buy a 25~30 year old merlin than a new R/H any day, it was a one man band operation though, so I think he can be forgiven any reputation for being 'problematic', to be wholly honest Ive never had any first hand experience of merlins so can't confirm any reputation, apart from that there gorgeous! :D

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:49 pm

They(Merlins) just do not show up for sale often over here in the states.  I do have a collection of very early Garden Railways magazines that feature ads with the Mayflower and the Mustang engines in them from a couple of the early importers here in the States.  Much like Lionel and thier electric trains dominated the post war golden years of toy trains here in the USA, LGB with thier electric drive also domintated the garden railway scene in the USA.  So the early live steamers are very uncommon over here.  My RH runs flawlessly, even on manual control.  So I cannot fault the brand and thier parts and support are second to none.  Much better than any of the Asian produced engines in the long term IMHO.  Nothing wrong with the Accucraft but I think you will be in the same boat in 20+years if you need cylinders or valve gear for and Edrig ect.  I would have gotten this Merlin back before the holidays but I wanted my first engine to be one with excellent parts support since I put lots of run time on my trains once warmer weather arrives.   Now if I could just source some of those wonderful Welshpool Pottery and Tuxcraft buildings on this side of the pond affordably!  

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:53 pm

Killian Keane:122075 wrote:
funandtrains:122074 wrote:
They do look far better! (well maybe not the beck) I would far sooner buy a 25~30 year old merlin than a new R/H any day, it was a one man band operation though, so I think he can be forgiven any reputation for being 'problematic', to be wholly honest Ive never had any first hand experience of merlins so can't confirm any reputation, apart from that there gorgeous!  :D
I actually like Becks too - the German made ones! You can still find mint ones as they made so many Some of the Early Merlin-Becks were rather crude hack jobs though especially those cut down to 32mm gauge. I also have Pearse locos and although more detailed and better build quality I find the Merlins easier to run.

I bought my Major on ebay from Germany and it looked to have not been fired for at least 20 years. The oil had turned to glue but once this was removed with spirit and re-oiler the only other thing needed was fixed the gauge as it had spread a bit, then it ran perfectly.
Cheers, Steve

Killian Keane
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Killian Keane » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:58 pm

I should point out that modern locos arent ugly as such by nature, indeed they can be 'prettied up' quite well, however I think no manufacturer will ever match merlins streak of extremely beautiful locos, little wonder, mayflower, monarch, minstrel, major, maestro... The list goes on and on :)

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:05 pm

Merlin certainly had an eye for engines, you've got a lovely looking loco.

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:41 pm

I found out that the Bachmann 3 axles coaches that are for Emily, do not like LGB radius 1 curves(600mm), of which my railway has several. So that set is heading back to the shop I got it from to get traded for more LGB coaches that I can run. Coaches that bind in the curves serve me no good. Waiting on the post man to bring the package as I have to sign for it. Then its off to the big city to visit my wife who is still in ICU. Will steam up tonight when I get home. Mike