Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:41 pm

That's excellent Peter. I'm really impressed with the half timbering. I'm really looking forward to seeing the progress. It has the feeling of 'weight' and 'substance'.

Keep us posted,

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:15 pm

I painted the front of my cottage today..... but..... it was the one I live in, not the model one! No matter what you say there is no way you can convince the other half that model building should be given priority.
Admittedly the weather was perfect for the task so I can't complain about spending a day in the sunshine and fresh air.
I plan to do some important work this evening so there might be some progress to show tomorrow?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:47 pm

Well I managed to put a few hours in last night and have painted the ground floor entrance with brown timbers, dry-brushed to give a grained effect and put the final coat of white on the panels.

The first floor has also had its primer and is now ready for similar treatment.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:18 pm

Hi Peter,

The painting has really enhanced an already good piece of work. I was impressed with texture of the wood grain when you'd primed it but the work you've done since brings it completely to life. It aso enhances the shape and profile of the timbers and makes then look even more as though they have been assembled from individual elements to form the framework of the structure.

It's another masterpiece already, never mind in the making!

Andrew

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:03 pm

Hi Andrew, you are so kind with your praise and I thank you most sincerely. I am am making an effort with this building as I am testing out new techniques. When finished it will be an important part of my village scene with other structures around it. I have just been searching for a typical country pub design on line, I would like another ancient building with plenty of character but haven't found one yet that ticks all of the boxes.
I have to admit to having plenty of experience of pubs in the past so I'm sure I can create one with just the right atmosphere!
Recently I acquired a Cain Howley engine shed which I intend to convert to a small independent brewery attached to my pub, plenty to be getting on with I think.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:53 pm

A few pages back I showed a low relief structure made from a cut down Pendle Valley engine shed. This was to be another warehouse just to fill in the end of a line of buildings behind my quay area. In the beginning I was not too impressed with the way it looked but I carried on anyway. Now it's finished I think it looks much better than I ever thought possible and it has earned a place in the row of structures....

A shaky start....

And now....

JCSteam
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by JCSteam » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:34 pm

Nice brick effect on the walls :D
Jon

Have fun steaming
Now put the kettle on....sit back and browse my webpage  http://fwpl.webs.com/

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:01 pm

great work peter all looking very good I do love your harbour /beach

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:35 pm

Just beautiful, the window colour, the brickwork, everything. A wonderful job Peter.
Grant.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:04 pm

Another Pendle Valley conversion is nearing the end. This is the crossing keepers cottage which is now fully painted and complete with roses around the porch. Quite some achievement considering the keeper hasn't even taken up residence yet!
The pictures were taken alongside one of my dogs as she is curious to know why her dog towel is being used for another purpose?

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:39 pm

Lovely Peter, absolutely lovely.

I'm not sure which I prefer, the dog or the model. Wait a minute, of course I'm sure - the dog wins hands down, she's beautiful!

It's been remarked by my best mate that the quickest way to turn fourteen stones of platelayer (me) into a big soft gibbering lump is to put a dog in front of me. He knows me too well! :roll:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:36 pm

If you think that one is beautiful, try this one for size....

She is our newest addition to the dog fleet, another Springer bitch, working stock, great pedigree, and enough to melt the heart of any grown man! Penny will be joining us tomorrow, Thursday, and should be a companion to Holly and enjoy playtime, which our older boy is no longer interested in.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Springers & NG

Post by markoteal » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:06 am

Lovely dogs - must be something in the Springer & NG thing here's Lola, my 8 year old English Springer

Always happy to have a sniff at what's going on!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Springers & NG

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:58 pm

markoteal:120842 wrote:Lovely dogs - must be something in the Springer & NG thing  
I do hope so, otherwise regular viewers might think they have tuned in to the Crufts Forum by mistake (if there is one?).
Our two are inseparable, but Dan (Daniel the Spaniel) is now ten and not in the best of health so Holly (3) must have a companion. Holly (the Sprollie) was rescued and is very nervous and protective of her people and household. She needs another dog presence to keep her mind off postmen!

Sorry to non-doggy people for any deviation from railway subjects but there will be garden railway information in the next posting.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:03 pm

I am non-doggy in the sense of not have a dog (spaniel or otherwise) but I wish I did so am enjoying the pictures; I guess that's another data point suggesting a positive correlation with NG!

Like the keepers cottage and the roses are a lovely detail - I trust the keeper will be sufficiently green-fingered to keep them blooming all year round!
Rheilffordd Moel Rhos: blog - photos - videos

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:56 pm

Hi Simon, I do hope the keeper will be able to find time to tend his garden while keeping an eye on the busy railway crossing!
When the building is sited I hope to have something to represent a veg. patch (or similar). I will be looking for suggestions for this so please let me have any ideas from anyone with previous experience.

Meanwhile, in response to an earlier posting about storage, I have now completed my 'under layout' storage system.....

Before...

Storage space....

The finish....

Happy modeller again now I have room to operate without all of my workspace covered in structures.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:00 pm

Hi Peter,

I love your storage idea. Very nicely done.

Penny looks like a superb example of the breed. She's got a really cheeky look on her face, I expect you are in for some fun and games there! She has melted my heart in a glimpse :?

If you were planning on live plants for your crossing keepers garden and wanted to emulate my allotment MYOB would be ideal to represent the overgrown and disgraceful state of affairs I have allowed to develop! :oops:
I'm afraid you cant commit to the sort of work I've been doing in the house garden AND run an allotment - another reason I need to get stuck in and fiish the job!

Please keep us updated with the cottage - and with Penny! :D

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:42 pm

Thanks again Andrew, your MYOB suggestion sounds just right, but.... do you know what the botanical name is for the plant? Last time I was in a garden centre and asked for MYOB I thought I was about to receive a slap! The guy had never heard of it and thought I was taking the p*ss!!!!

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:57 pm

Peter,
From the RHS site:
Mind-your-own-business or baby's tears, Soleirolia soleirolii (syn. Helxine soleirolii) is a creeping perennial with tiny rounded leaves.

However, I'd hazard a guess that at least 50% of this forum have far more of it than they could wish for ( me included) and would be happy to donate a chunk!
PM me your aadress and I'll happily post you some. However be aware that once established it spreads invasively.
Philip

JCSteam
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by JCSteam » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:00 pm

Its Soleirolia soleirolii and its actually considered a weed by some, but as seen on many a garden railway, its great for a natural green scale foliage :D
Jon

Have fun steaming
Now put the kettle on....sit back and browse my webpage  http://fwpl.webs.com/