ØVJ at the moment...

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:09 am

The whole summer has gone. I haven´t had that much time for playing with trains, but yesterday I got home early from job and the weather was perfect, so I fired up and let some trains  have a bit of exercising

At the bottom of this pic you can see the 7/8 rw (under construction)

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:43 pm

lovey looking line great pics

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:27 am

Hello to everybody. It´s been a long time since I made an update on this thread.
Here it comes:
An evening with  driving on the 7/8 line. The loco is my newest, Orenstein & Koppel, and I´m still learning it´s personality, as its heavier and bigger than my other locos. Anyway, my 8-year old son Edward have learned to drive it (rc) And that makes me the photographer.

The loco is always a bit tricky in the beginning of the running time. The gas flame is very unstable and goes out a few times before the loco is properly warmed up. It can take 7-8 minutes before it is stable. I think it has something to do with the weight of the loco, as it needs quite a big steam inlet to get it moving in the beginning. Anyone have some advice to make the start easier?
Regards to all

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:46 pm

Autumn.
After a long wait, and slow building I got a chance to test my new building, a mill. There is still a lot to do, but the exact placement is very important, as the backside will have working silos
There is tracks on the backside so a train should be able to fill a pair of wagons with grain (or M&M´s)

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:19 pm

St.Michael:120412 wrote:There are tracks on the backside so a train should be able to fill a pair of wagons with grain (or M&M´s)
I would think M&M's would be infinitely preferable! (and a bulk bag wouldn't be THAT expensive)(but not for use in the summer - imagine a silo filled solidly with M&M's which had melted together and then set........)

The mill looks very good, as well!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:37 pm

That is an impressive structure and looks well on your railway.
Lovely loco too!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:00 pm

Good to hear from you, and once again a very atmospheric looking industrial building. I'm sure Edward will be taking a keen interest in loading trains.
Grant.

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:25 pm

Hi friends.
Thank you for kind comments. And also some important thinking about M&M´s
My idea is to use some kind of plastic bottle with the opening pointing down, over the wagon. The bottle shall be easy to lift out, or even exchanged into a new (if I have a serious chocolate meltdown) :blob3: :blob4: :blob5:
And of course, it will be hidden inside the silo you see on the pics.
Just need an idea for a locking mecanism to shove over the opening when the wagons are filled up.
Regards to you all (ps: I´m afraid Edward chooses computer games in favour of the garden railway)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:05 pm

St.Michael:120437 wrote: (ps: I´m afraid Edward chooses computer games in favour of the garden railway)
Yes.... there's a lot of it about!!!!!

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:58 pm

This evening I have worked with the silos on the backside of the mill. I´m indoors now, not shure I will be able to work on the railway until next spring, but still lots of things to fix and repair (all thru the winter for shure)
Pic comming later

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:11 pm

Image[/img]
:)

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:07 pm

Maybe this should been posted under the "project" heading, but as I started to show the mill here, I´ll continue:

The hatches will be two of the most important parts on the whole mill, in order to be able to load wagons.
I´m also finding out that I will be ruined if I try to fill up the silos with candy.
Hope it will work....

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:38 pm

Great Industrial Light Railway atmosphere created on your line. Some parts remind me of Peter Jones' Compton Down

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by big-ted » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:14 pm

Interesting that Norway has those pesky Robertson square-headed screws. I thought only Canada used those!

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:11 pm

big-ted:120601 wrote:Interesting that Norway has those pesky Robertson square-headed screws. I thought only Canada used those!
Hi. The fact with all those different screws is that they are bought in cheap, big sets, and I suppose are made in China or other places in Asia.
No square headed though. They are sexagon and crosshead. You also see some (pop?)rivets in use.

And I would like to say thank you, for all your kind comments :wave:

And now for something completely different. The evenings are really getting dark now, and that inspired me to try my Ikea-battery lights on my Chaloner, and inside the coach. It got really dark, and the pic is taken with my mobile. I like the graphic roughness. Hope you do so too..

Regards from Michael

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:58 pm

I´ve been working on the backside of the Mill. This part of the building has developed to be a far more detailed and complicated add than I had imagined (but I´m having fun...) On the bottom there is a portal for the wagons to pass through to get under the silos for loading.
I´m kind of getting to the end of this project, but still lot´s of small details and signs to be added.
How strange it might seem, this building has a role model in real life. But it has no railway connection. On the original there is a loading portal for tractors and lorries nearly at the same place. And I have also cut away a third extension witch is far more modern than my version.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:06 pm

I love it Michael, that building has great character and you have used a good variety of materials too!
The paint finish is just right and shows it is a well used structure.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:57 pm

I'm very impressed Michael, it's a first class piece of work.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:46 pm

As Peter and Andrew have said great work, and I too like the mixture of materials, so typical of a real building.
Grant.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:41 pm

some great buildings on your line some lovly pictures too love all the rusty bits