Computer nightmare!

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:00 pm

Hi Rik,

SMART is a monitoring system included in most modern drives to detect imminent failure so get anything you need off it asap and replace.

As the machine has already been upgraded with Win10 save yourself some money and rebuild with a SSD hard drive, it will run like lightning!

If you need any help let me know.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:17 am

Thanks folks

Presumably, a backup would enable me to retain all the licences for my software such as Office etc., yes? What about the OS?

If, instead of getting a new drive, I opted for a new laptop, would I be able to transfer everything across to the new machine - in this case I'd not need the OS.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:45 am

Google " how to move to a new pc "

Anything I had where the licence didn't transfer was solved by an email to the software company who provided what was needed but most things worked straight off.
Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

Enginehouse
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Enginehouse » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:19 pm

ge_rik:120186 wrote:A couple of months ago I succumbed to the nagging and installed W10 as a free upgrade from W7. I didn't like the interface but was prepared to put up with it.

Sorry, Grumpy Old Git whinge over.

Rik
Still running a geriatric XP here, but from within Linux. Never ever had a crash of any kind. Used occasionally for updating the navigator maps and updating one or two other pieces of ancient electronics. We run our own mail and web servers here running FreeBSD which is the core basis of the Apple operating systems. Win 10 runs fine from within Linux but is very bloated so takes up a fair bit of room. I loaded it to sort out an elderly gents machine which had upgraded from 7 and then once investigated, I dumped it.

I have never understood the fixation for paying for software and indeed agreeing to the nonsense associated with its use. Cheap machine, cutting edge operating system, data security, vast repositories of free software and a community that provides both support and solutions all for free. But the best bit is being able to use old machines for longer and buy the past expensive but now outdated laptops for peanuts. Great fun.
Cheers

Roy H