Early Merlin 0-4-2 'Heritage' Loco SM32

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Early Merlin 0-4-2 'Heritage' Loco SM32

Post by Superbiker_uk » Fri May 06, 2016 12:58 pm

I am not sure if this qualifies as 'heritage' or not but it's fairly old (I think!) and is an example of a Merlin 0-4-2 locomotive. I purchased it during the 16mm NGM annual show, the last one held at Stoneleigh back in 2011. I have recently completed a sympathetic restoration.

The loco is fixed at 32mm with outside frame slip-eccentrics. When I 'stripped' the frames I left the wheels on the axles and found that this is one of the examples that looks like it was converted from 45mm or was made from parts originally intended for 45mm gauge track. The hole positions that were present for the attachment of the front and rear beams confirmed this. I am sure some Merlin experts can chip in with some information as I do not know that much about these loco's. The frames were also stamped with the number '94' which could well be a sequential serial number of model number or similar.

I used spray paint (acid etch undercoat) for refurbishment of the black parts other than the roof which is satin black powder coat. I like to use powder coating for bodywork where possible as it is so resilient to heat, fire, oil, knocks etc. However, this does make it difficult to match colours unless there is a comparable RAL code available. I confess that I could not find a suitable code for the green so went for the closest match which was RAL6002. I did not want to strip the original paint off the boiler so found a good enough match to do the body work. Anyway, when looking at the loco running round on a ground level track it looks pretty good - to my eye anyway!

The boiler on the loco is of brass construction and it is in super condition. The loco cab was originally made of 3 parts cab front/sides, cab rear and roof and when I acquired the loco this was soldered in once piece. It had been hacked about a bit with the replacement of the original roof mounted gas tank (gas knob sticking out the cab front) and an upright tank had been inserted by opening up the seam of the cab on the offside rear. The loco roof also had some extra holes in it including the ones added for re-gassing and operation of the replacement gas tank. The burner looks to have also been replaced at some point with a later Roundhouse one. I decided to make the cab of bolt together construction and I repaired/covered some of the unsightly holes in the body parts prior to powder coating. The side tanks are solid metal blocks and add quite a bit of weight.

The loco runs very well indeed and it seems to be quite powerful - it is also a heavy loco!

I have taken some shots of the overhauled engine to compare with the pictures of the engine a week or so after the 2011 show.

Image Image

Image Image

Here are some more pictures in a slightly better light:

Image Image

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Fri May 06, 2016 2:52 pm

These were made from part finished Beck Anna G scale loco or later models left over parts. The 32mm versions have the frames moved in and axles shortened (with variable skill!). There is also a saddle tank version which was the first Merlin Monarch. The 32mm manual versions often (but not always) have a rear trailing axle added which fills in the hole that Merlin removed for the R/C version's battery pack.

If anyone has one of the brass dome covers as on this loco I'm looking for one that has gone missing from one of my Merlins.
Cheers, Steve

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Fri May 06, 2016 2:58 pm

funandtrains:117865 wrote:These were made from part finished Beck Anna G scale loco or later models left over parts. The 32mm versions have the frames moved in and axles shortened (with variable skill!). There is also a saddle tank version which was the first Merlin Monarch. The 32mm manual versions often (but not always) have a rear trailing axle added which fills in the hole that Merlin removed for the R/C version's battery pack.
Thanks for the info Steve. I thought the wheel arrangement was original. There is one other of this type that I tracked down to a collector in Japan but with square side tanks:

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/beat/non/loco/locoN1/index2.html

......so from that I deduced that the wheel arrangement was probably original.

Thanks again for the extra info and good luck with tracking down a dome cover.

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Fri May 06, 2016 3:15 pm

Superbiker_uk:117866 wrote:
funandtrains:117865 wrote:These were made from part finished Beck Anna G scale loco or later models left over parts. The 32mm versions have the frames moved in and axles shortened (with variable skill!). There is also a saddle tank version which was the first Merlin Monarch. The 32mm manual versions often (but not always) have a rear trailing axle added which fills in the hole that Merlin removed for the R/C version's battery pack.
Thanks for the info Steve. I thought the wheel arrangement was original. There is one other of this type that I tracked down to a collector in Japan but with square side tanks:

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/beat/non/loco/locoN1/index2.html

......so from that I deduced that the wheel arrangement was probably original.

Thanks again for the extra info and good luck with tracking down a dome cover.
I have 2 of the saddle tank versions:
The green one is a 45mm 0-4-0 and in parts and missing burner and tank, the red one is an 0-4-2 32mm conversion which has been converted back to 45mm and has r/c retro fitted.[/img][/img]
Cheers, Steve

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Fri May 06, 2016 3:45 pm

Thanks for the images of your loco's Steve. I hope you do not mind me uploading them here so they are easier to view.

I can see now the modification done to the square hole in the cab back sheet on my engine so as to accommodate what I think is a Roundhouse poker burner.

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Fri May 06, 2016 4:06 pm

http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/ftop ... -asc-0.php

we have had several similar loco discussions on this forum before.
Cheers, Steve

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Fri May 06, 2016 4:09 pm

Thanks for the link :)

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Fri May 06, 2016 4:16 pm

I've been meaning to check myself but do you think the windows are Mamod items?
Cheers, Steve

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Fri May 06, 2016 4:21 pm

funandtrains:117871 wrote:I've been meaning to check myself but do you think the windows are Mamod items?
The spectacle rings are smaller diameter than Mamod ones. I was lucky to find one that was very close to the size of the other 3 to replace the one that was missing. At some point someone had hacked away at the rear cab sheet (upper right window as you look from the rear). I am guessing that this was to accommodate some other form of gas tank with a knob that stuck about the back? I repaired the rear cab sheet and like I said was lucky to find a brass spectacle ring to install which sorted it.

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Fri May 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Superbiker_uk:117872 wrote:
funandtrains:117871 wrote:I've been meaning to check myself but do you think the windows are Mamod items?
The spectacle rings are smaller diameter than Mamod ones. I was lucky to find one that was very close to the size of the other 3 to replace the one that was missing. At some point someone had hacked away at the rear cab sheet (upper right window as you look from the rear). I am guessing that this was to accommodate some other form of gas tank with a knob that stuck about the back? I repaired the rear cab sheet and like I said was lucky to find a brass spectacle ring to install which sorted it.
You can probably see that my broken green one is missing one spectacle rim. I've not decided what to do with these as the green one needs a new boiler, burner and gas tank but is otherwise factory standard. I was considering swapping the chassis over although that would mean taking apart a working one.
Cheers, Steve

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Fri May 06, 2016 6:13 pm

I also have one of these but as an 0-4-0, quite powerful little things although sadly mine does have a tenancy to wobble around a lot although no frame erosion is present. I dont think theres a lot i can do though due to the wheels being fixed on the axles. Also the water gauge on these locos is a nice addition despite being a bit out of scale.
Steam is highly under rated

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Fri May 06, 2016 7:22 pm

Joe:117875 wrote:I also have one of these but as an 0-4-0, quite powerful little things although sadly mine does have a tenancy to wobble around a lot although no frame erosion is present. I dont think theres a lot i can do though due to the wheels being fixed on the axles. Also the water gauge on these locos is a nice addition despite being a bit out of scale.
The 45mm versions are better the early Merlin chop jobs to 32mm gauge were often far from accurate. The original Beck 45mm gauge locos are very well made.
Cheers, Steve

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Fri May 06, 2016 8:23 pm

A very nice restoration of an early loco. When you put it alongside a modern loco, it just shows how far we've moved on.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sat May 07, 2016 8:50 am

Superbiker_uk:117868 wrote: Image

I can see now the modification done to the square hole in the cab back sheet on my engine so as to accommodate what I think is a Roundhouse poker burner.
Here is a picture showing the longer burner now fitted to this Merlin loco and the rear cab sheet modification that appears to have been made to get it to fit:

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sat May 07, 2016 8:55 am

Joe:117875 wrote:I also have one of these but as an 0-4-0, quite powerful little things although sadly mine does have a tenancy to wobble around a lot although no frame erosion is present. I dont think theres a lot i can do though due to the wheels being fixed on the axles. Also the water gauge on these locos is a nice addition despite being a bit out of scale.
Hi Joe - yes I have seen your loco - it looks great. I think the addition of the trailing axle reduces the wobble. I run mine on Mamod track and it looks OK. I will have to get some video sorted at some point.

Here is a closer look at the rear wheel set. The steps are not standard although I assume it had steps originally. I didn't have a matching pair but you can't notice when running:

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sat May 07, 2016 8:58 am

funandtrains:117876 wrote:
The 45mm versions are better the early Merlin chop jobs to 32mm gauge were often far from accurate. The original Beck 45mm gauge locos are very well made.
Hi Steve - the driving wheels on my loco look made for the job rather than being cut down. The gauge is fine and they are press fitted onto a splined shaft. They are in good condition and there is no significant wear on the frames what with the axles running in non-bushed frame holes:

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sat May 07, 2016 9:01 am

MDLR:117878 wrote:A very nice restoration of an early loco. When you put it alongside a modern loco, it just shows how far we've moved on.
Thanks Brian! I think I will have to take a picture of the Merlin next to my Ragleth for a comparison shot.

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Sat May 07, 2016 12:56 pm

Cheers I look forward to the video and I do like the trailing wheels , I take it they were fitted by Merlin ?

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Sat May 07, 2016 2:24 pm

heres a vid of mine working on my raised section of line, as you can see they are nice little runners:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0ecsnRMRlQ

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sat May 07, 2016 5:56 pm

Joe:117890 wrote:Cheers I look forward to the video and I do like the trailing wheels , I take it they were fitted by Merlin ?
Hi Joe - Steve posted this info earlier in the thread: