Merlin locomotive - questions

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Merlin locomotive - questions

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:27 am

I am just getting round to doing a full refurbishment of my Merlin 0-4-2 locomotive. Does anyone know the paint colour code or a source for it? I have tried Halfords but can not find an 'off the shelf' match.

The boiler paint is pretty good so I was just wanted to re-paint the cab and side tanks.
Last edited by Superbiker_uk on Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:35 am

Try light Brunswick Green. I will take a snap of my Hunslet later in the morning and post it.
Regards Graham.

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:28 pm

Images as promised.

I think the number on the tin is the colour number used by my local Car spray matching bod.

Regards Graham.

KNO3
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by KNO3 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:38 pm

Why not repaint all of it in a more pleasant shade of green or the colour of your choice?
The loco really looks like it would benefit from a complete paint job.

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:25 pm

If you want any inspiration for a complete paint job then take a look at the options on the Lightlines website.
http://www.lightline16mm.com/manufacturer.html
A variety of possibilities are shown under a variety of loco model manufacturers.  Its them that did my latest RH purchase.  Their service isn't cheap but the website might give you some ideas even if you go for a DIY job.

Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:04 pm

Matching old paint can be a major issue (just ask any car body shop)
Halfords have their uses but mix to order paint is not one of them.
If you want to match the colour find yourself an auto paint factor and ask to use their colour chips, there are a number of paint schemes out there and you will find one that matches the colour as it is now, rather than the colour it was when new. They can then mix up what ever you like.

Failing that find the closet match you can in a premixed can and as long as the old and new paint don't meet on the same plane (ie don't paint one part of a tank side.) most people wont notice.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:15 pm

Last edited by TonyW on Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:30 pm

Thank you all for your helpful replies - this gives me some things to think about. I will see if I can match the paint. Light Brunswick Green does look quite similar. Thanks for the picture Gralyn - that is a very nice looking loco and an excellent plaint job :)

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:30 am

I originally started this thread to ask about paint colour but now have another question: on stripping down the heavy duty brass frames and buffer beams, I noticed that these parts are hand stamped with '94'. If it's not a daft question is that likely to be the year or something else?

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:52 pm

Superbiker_uk:117354 wrote:I originally started this thread to ask about paint colour but now have another question: on stripping down the heavy duty brass frames and buffer beams, I noticed that these parts are hand stamped with '94'. If it's not a daft question is that likely to be the year or something else?
Any ideas about the 94 stamped on both frames and buffer beams?

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:11 am

Superbiker_uk:117691 wrote: Any ideas about the 94 stamped on both frames and buffer beams?
More likely to be a serial no. than a date.

It could be the 94th model of that type, or the 94th model he made, or ......

Regards,
Graeme

paullad1984
Fireman
Fireman

Post by paullad1984 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:42 am

I'd say build number due to number of Beck looking parts used on it. Just a hunch.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:41 pm

How did you get on with the repaint?

I repainted my Maestro but found that the red paint had faded in some places and not others (or seen extreme heat it), so I had a perfect match on one part of the boiler and was way off on another. It doesn't really matter as the boiler and tank are far enough apart not to matter when viewed from a few feet away.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:52 am

GTB:117703 wrote:More likely to be a serial no. than a date.

It could be the 94th model of that type, or the 94th model he made, or ......
paullad1984:117704 wrote:I'd say build number due to number of Beck looking parts used on it.  Just a hunch.
Thanks Graeme and Paul - I did think it more likely a production number - thanks for your feedback on this one which is much appreciated.
Big Jim:117706 wrote:How did you get on with the repaint?

I repainted my Maestro but found that the red paint had faded in some places and not others (or seen extreme heat it), so I had a perfect match on one part of the boiler and was way off on another. It doesn't really matter as the boiler and tank are far enough apart not to matter when viewed from a few feet away.
Hi Jim - the refurbishment has gone really well and the engine runs brilliantly! I am really pleased with it. I am not quite ready to show it on the forum yet but it will not be long now :) I decided to leave the boiler paint 'as-is' to keep some originality! In any case it is not too bad condition. The boiler is in very good order so I opted to leave it. Like you I have not got an exact match for the paint but when watching the loco run round on ground level track you can't really notice it anyway.

I have got used to the simple movement by hand of the outside slip eccentrics to change direction and I have to say it works really very well indeed :)

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Fri May 06, 2016 1:41 pm

I have posted an update about this loco here http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about10424.html

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri May 06, 2016 1:50 pm

You have made a superb job of that, it looks brilliant, and good to hear you are well pleased with its handling too! Well done..... worth the wait.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Fri May 06, 2016 1:53 pm

Peter Butler:117863 wrote:You have made a superb job of that, it looks brilliant, and good to hear you are well pleased with its handling too!    Well done..... worth the wait.
Thanks Peter - it's not bad for an old'un :)