16mm membership query

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
listerboy
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

16mm membership query

Post by listerboy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:18 pm

Hi is there an email address to confirm membership of the 16 mm association from Warners? Thier website isn't working in the contact section.

Thanks

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:19 pm

I emailed 16mmNGM@warnersgroup.co.uk about a subscription query and got a reply.
Rheilffordd Moel Rhos: blog - photos - videos

listerboy
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by listerboy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Thanks, I hadn't heard from them yet. I don't want to add to the list of rejoining woes!

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:43 pm

I sent an email to that address this morning to get my details updated and they replied within the hour. I guess I must be a member because I have never received a proper notification or a receipt/invoice when I renewed.
Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

listerboy
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by listerboy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:35 am

No reply as yet! [/u]

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:30 am

sstjc:117527 wrote:I sent an email to that address this morning to get my details updated and they replied within the hour. I guess I must be a member because I have never received a proper notification or a receipt/invoice when I renewed.
Barry
I asked the Membership Secretary at the Peterborough show about acknowledgements and he said there will be an acknowledgement of membership renewal with the next issue of SMT.
Regards Graham.

listerboy
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by listerboy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:29 pm

Whilst the renewals were done voluntarily, I would understand a list in SMT. What I have a problem with is paying Warners, who seem unable to respond to an email.

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:50 pm

Much easier to phone them. Very polite on the phone and they can sort it very quickly.
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:24 am

I agree with listerboy which is why I asked the questions I did at the AGM. I had a terrible time trying to get a response from them by email and when I did get one they rarely answer the question asked. Its ok for Laurence to say phone them but as I explained at the time my work situation did not allow me to phone them when their lines were open. We don't all live 9 to 5 lives anymore.

Even the board and Warners have to acknowledge that in this day and age most business is conducted over the internet and it is a feature that most people expect. They do really need to up their game on this.

I am also one of those that dislikes and distrusts Warners. The way I and others have been treated and had our emails ignored is appalling and in my view reflects very badly on the Association. However, in being fair and honest, I also have to repeat what I posted previously that they were very swift in replying to my last email so maybe there is some hope but I still do not trust them with my money and I dislike dealing with an organisation I feel like that about.

I have already voted with my feet and was very tempted by the £9.99 offer for 6 issues of GardenRail but because it meant giving Warners my bank details I walked away from it. I never did get a confirmation of my payment when I renewed my Association membership which went wrong other than eventually getting an email from a member of Warners staff saying that they had received my payment after Alan intervened but I I never got the formal invoice that I should have got. I usually claim my membership against tax but won't be able to this year.

The upshot of all this is that as it stands I will NOT be renewing my membership next year. Warners had their chance and failed as far as I am concerned and have failed to provide the invoice that I am entitled to !

Sorry Laurence the Association has been a great organisation and I praise it where its due as I have praised and defended the show and its organisation but I can't support that which is wrong !

Barry Loraine
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

GardenRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by GardenRail » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:49 pm

While I cannot be *rsed to change my login - and indeed people will speak as they find, I should first of all say that I am now nothing to do with Warners or indeed SMT - however.... Experience tells me that Warners were the best option for Atlantic Publishers (GardenRail) after changing from two other suppliers - the level of complaints dropped significantly. There will always be some of course, mostly through finger trouble taken overall, but there were odd ones to be sorted out. First year is always slightly problematical and adjustments for each type of magazine need to be done and I understand from the 16mm AGM that the chairman is addressing these issues.

Warners print and publish for over 500 magazines and periodicals (surprised there were so many) so they must be as competent as Atlantic found them. In terms of the 16mm Association, the first year went reasonably well but with a few hiccups and next year it will be significantly better. Thing is, changing to another supplier will not improve things because they will also go through similar snafu's during the first year - as I said Atlantic changed because we had significant ongoing problems with other suppliers. Anyway 98% of members signed up with no problem and the system will be fine tuned to suit SMT - particularly on the email front, which the chairman said was being addressed.

The Association ain't gonna change whatever - there is no going back because members self evidently are not prepared to do the work. When I was on the board I was voted in (as were my fellow board members) - no need for that now because (as a generalisation) the generation behind ours are not as used to volunteering for things and there are not enough board members to fill the available posts. I can see more aspects of the association being taken over by commercial organisations in future - the show perhaps??

I doubt that many people will leave the Assoc because of these changes, and if anyone does, then is their choice. it won't make a difference to the size of the membership and anyway - there was no choice - no volunteers to do the job!!
Tag Gorton

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:51 pm

First question would be if they publish "over 500 magazines and periodicals" (and yes i'm surprised its so many as well) how is it their systems have had so many problems coping with our members particularly those overseas?... i.e. Are you telling me they didn't send anything previously to the all the areas that had address problems.

Secondly if they are such a professional organisation how comes there were so many problems and they can't deal with emails effectively from the outset, as previously explained. And are you suggesting that it is an acceptable teething trouble that an organisation that publishes "over 500 magazines and periodicals" can't provide me with an invoice for my membership payment. Come on !

And yes it was reported to Alan who I believe it was who got them to eventually send an email stating I was now a member but they never corrected the invoice issue and to be honest I gave up because they are just too much hard work.

I would remind you that I actually gave Warners a chance and when the board received some criticism, when this was first announced many moons ago, I supported them for all the reasons you quote and stated I believe that Warners were a professional company in my opinion with a lot of experience. It is actually Warners that have proved me wrong.

I don't envy the board being in the position they were/are and I have no reason to doubt that the board have acted in good faith but Warners themselves have done the damage as far as i'm concerned and this has all left me feeling that I can't trust them. But that is my right and my loss when I don't renew my membership next year.

I have to say that despite others posing the question at no time has the board offered any information about what we are paying Warners and how long the contract with them is and this lack of clarity is concerning to me.

This is not just a witch-hunt against Warners. I don't use other companies I don't like or trust and for similar reasons have recently changed my isp and others. Won't be going back to Plusnet again even if they are the cheapest.

The saddest part is that I foresee the day when the board has to be outsourced or the Association closed but that does not mean that regardless of my own inability (i'm sure I will be accused of laziness and lethargy but hey-ho) to take on an active role that I should just say 'yes thats fine' when i'm receiving poor service.

I see the Association at a turning point but I admit I have no idea where that will lead it.

The fact as it stands is if there are no volunteers eventually the Association will go to rack and ruin or will become a purely commercial enterprise. I fear the future is not bright but i'm not brave enough to take on what has become a Business and I 'm sure other feel the same. Basically the board have actually done the job too well maybe.

Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

GardenRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by GardenRail » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:02 pm

'So many problems'? I don't see too many. Perhaps I am looking from the other side of the fence because having dealt with three different subscription companies with Atlantic, I don't see hat this is something other than needing tuning – which I believe (from the AGM) the chairman is doing. It is all to easy to pick up a few complaints on social media and make a case, but I say again that, overwhelmingly, this has passed with minor glitches with very few people and it will be adjusted next time. here are always complaints - even when the system is run in and running well – largely because of computer problems with subscribers. If there were something seriously wrong then social media would be overwhelmed Barry.

This of course is just my opinion based on my experience at the publishing end over quite a few years. You also have yours, but I would be sorry to see you go and I hope you change your mind.
Tag Gorton

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:40 pm

Your comments are appreciated Tag.

listerboy
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by listerboy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Second email sent. I await results!

rebelego
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by rebelego » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:43 am

Maybe this thread should be merged with this one
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about10329.html

I had only a minor issue when renewing online. The 'House name/number' field doesn't suit Norwegian addresses where the house number is placed behind the street address. The field went from optional on first page to required on next, so I had to uncheck the 'use same address' box and retype the whole address. I got a confirmation email and my card was charged, so I guess I am still a member.

That said, I share the concern regarding Warners. I have very bad experience with them doing costumer service for Atlantic Publishers. I ordered a book which I never got. I got an automatic confirmation email and my card was charged. None of my emails were answered. I called three times and each time they said they had to check and call me back, but they never did. My order was marked as shipped, but the book was also marked out of stock and probably had been for quite a while. After more than a month I filed a case with my card company and got my money back. At the time I considered to subscribe to Garden Rail, but dropped it because of this. It is now almost three years ago, but a friend of mine experienced exactly the same when ordering books in December 2015.

Those Norwegians I know who subscribe to Garden Rail say they have trouble to renew every year and have to call to sort things out. I know Norwegian members who have had problems renewing the Association membership online and for some of them calling UK is a barrier. But, I also know a member who had problems renewing by paypal, and because of it just left the Association, so no system fits all.

Anyway, the board has my full understanding outsourcing the membership management, and from what Tag says Warners might be the best option available. Hopefully they improve.

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:45 am

Their online system is pretty poor so the customer experience is not great. Seems like they are not really moving with the times if their best solution is to put more staff on the phones.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:58 pm

It depends on the age group. 50+ folks are more likely to hit the phones when there is a problem; under 50s (or something like that) the email. Of course, there are exceptions. Given the general complexion - or rather hair colouring - that I see at Garden Railway events, extra folks on the phones would make best sense to me.

Personally, I hate the telephone with a passion, even though I am a forty-something. I don't have a mobile, and rarely answer the normal phone at home - especially in election years. I put that down to us not having a phone when I was a kid, so it finally arrived as an unwelcome intruder when I was 13.

Cheers,
Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

listerboy
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by listerboy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:20 pm

I got a confirmation email today. All OK.

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:23 pm

I've just discovered I've been renewed twice and charged twice!! Hmmm.... Do hope they sort themselves out, it doesn't exactly encourage you! :?