Chalk Quarry

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Howardws
Cleaner
Cleaner

Chalk Quarry

Post by Howardws » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:03 pm

My railway includes a chalk quarry. Now the frosts are gone I want to start rendering the sides of the quarry and incline. I had thought of using of plain cement render and then 'texturing' it when partly set. However I thought I'd ask on here first as it's a mine of information. Has anyone any bright ideas please?
Thanks, Howard

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:10 pm

Wow!!!! I can't offer any useful information on construction I fear, but I am very interested to see how you tackle the project and watch the progress.... please let us see as it grows.
What area will it cover and how high will the incline be?
Sounds just wonderful, and so different.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Howardws
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Howardws » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:56 pm

Details are in 'Projects' under - 'More station, less circuit'. It's not much changed since the last photo as I've spent the winter inside (the workshop mainly) but I aim to restart outside work soon.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:15 pm

Hello!

I've never tried it, but do you think pressing chalk dust into the render as it dries would work? I just had a look at some chalk pit pictures - I reckon I'd try to leave some little pockets for planting...

Good luck,

Andrew.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:04 pm

mix up your cement/render put a little pva in it to help fatten up the mixture put it on the surface and let it start too go off and it will hazel off a bit then you can add a little chalk dust bits if chalk /etc or put texture in too the surface .hope this helps

Howardws
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Howardws » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:12 pm

Thanks for that. There are a couple of videos of a quarry railway over in the 16mm Facebook page and the chalk faces look very much like a section of a rough rendered house wall with a few thick coats of masonry paint on it. I might try a few small sections with various ideas and see how they come out - I can always chip them back off!