SLR Yvonne First Run - Riverdale Elke

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
robyholmes
Cleaner
Cleaner

SLR Yvonne First Run - Riverdale Elke

Post by robyholmes » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:22 pm

So after months of work she's finally complete. A Roundhouse Billy with Riverdale Elke conversion, SSP Slo-Mo and locoworks detailing. Beautifully lined by LightLine (G Munday).

Still some finishing touches to complete but here you go.
<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9XV95GOnlyo?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9XV95GOnlyo?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

RuneK
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RuneK » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:02 pm

Nice! Manually controlled coalfired loco is one of my dreams in this hobby.

EDI: Thought it was manually controlled, but now I am not so sure...
Last edited by RuneK on Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rune

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:16 pm

Brilliant. Runs nice and slowly.

I've still to finish my Billy off as a manual loco, then convert to R/C, before the Elke conversion (picked up at Peterborough last year). Too many projects on the go at present!

Is that a Regner whistle you have fitted?

Chris Cairns

robyholmes
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by robyholmes » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:06 pm

Chris Cairns:116424 wrote:
Is that a Regner whistle you have fitted?

Chris Cairns
Yes it is, as supplied by Riverdale. Sounds a little high pitched at the moment, wasn't like that until the body was put on so I've moved it a little to try and lower the tone.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:57 pm

I am hoping that when the Lady Anne version of the SSP slomo is finally released I can fit one to my Riverdale Amy.

You have fitted a wooden floor into the cab of your Elke Rob which I have wanted to do on my Amy.  Would you mind advising how did you manage it while still having the ability to remove the body?

Cheers,

Tom

robyholmes
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by robyholmes » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:23 pm

tom_tom_go:116441 wrote:I am hoping that when the Lady Anne version of the SSP slomo is finally released I can fit one to my Riverdale Amy.

You have fitted a wooden floor into the cab of your Elke Rob which I have wanted to do on my Amy.  Would you mind advising how did you manage it while still having the ability to remove the body?

Cheers,

Tom
Hi Tim,

To do the floor I first made a a copy of the stainless steel floor in very thin plastikard. It was made so it could slid in and out from the rear. I then stuck coffee stick steerer's to this template to create the planked floor. I kept making sure it would slide in and out of the cab. I did this so if it ever needed replacing it wasn't stuck to the steel floor.
At the rear I made cut out so it didn't go under the body tabs which sit on the floor. This meant the body can just sit on without being affected.

It does tend to curl up but once you get two burly busy bodies figures on it you can't spot it. It also means coal doesn't chip the floor paint which it did during testing. Its sharp stuff coal.

I will get more pictures put in in my railway thread once its all complete. Hopefully this weekend I can get everything together and take some pictures.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:52 am

That's briliant. The lining job is excellent. I desperately covet a coal-fired locomotive. I'm on the verge of attempting my own boiler, but no more new locos until I have a railway!

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:10 am

A lovely loco and an excellent video.

Um..... silly question, - what is Slo-Mo and how does it work?
What has Reality done for you lately?

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:03 am

Annie:116447 wrote:Um..... silly question, - what is Slo-Mo and how does it work?
It's a flywheel device that improves slow running by adding momentum. Here's the website: http://smallsteamperformance.com.au/.

The videos Chris Bird made of his RH Katie with a slomo are what really got me interested in it: http://www.summerlands-chuffer.co.uk/ss ... 4585810685

But I have gone for a Millie rather than a Katie as my first loco, so will be building a Zach Bond Momentum Van to achieve the momentum effect... (see this thread: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/view ... 67&start=0)
Rheilffordd Moel Rhos: blog - photos - videos

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:38 am

Thanks for the links Simon :) What a clever little device.
What has Reality done for you lately?