Bruce Bates Birdwater tribute loco

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Bruce Bates Birdwater tribute loco

Post by Crackingjob » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:00 pm

Looking at building a tribute loco to remember the late Bruce Bates of Bridwater and Raspberry railway fame...thought of something like this

For those who don't know...he is best remembered for producing kits of small locos and often in a whimsical style...recently passed away in December 2015
http://www.bates-r-us.org/birdwater/

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:48 pm

My efforts to date....Lima chassis, jelly tots tube (big sort from Christmas great for 16mm G scale boiler), oval card box, mounting card, drink straws, pen top etc....all slots over the Lima chassis.

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:42 pm

Loco is almost there and ready for priming and final fit...then on with rolling stock
3/4 shot

Rear view

Cab area. Fortunately the Lima forward/reverse switch works so just need a big throttle leaver. Also need to fit dials and when painted , coal in the hoppers

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:10 pm

Like It. :D :D
Regards Graham.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:05 pm

Wonderful. Is the rear buffer made out of a board game piece?
Also how will you go about painting it, must be difficult to come up with a scheme from a black and white drawing.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:57 am

Hi the buffers are golf tees ...big bag from Tescos of varying sizes..rivets are stick on gems from a craft shop..as for colour...from what colour photos I have seen black or Crimson seem favoured colours....everything is from scrap ... I scrounge and save any pen and bottle tops, broken toys, card etc .....will put up pictures soon of the rolling stock later.

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:30 pm

Quick update started on the rolling stock.....ketchup truck on scrap Hornby truck, Binnie wheels, and cheap magnetic notice board pins from Tescos, also start of the guards van

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:02 am

I'm watching this project of yours with great interest. I like a little whimsey to be included with my own railway modelmaking too.
What has Reality done for you lately?

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:08 pm

Update re rolling stock...using various odds and ends including charity shop finds. The whisky is for sustenance of staff, and the tomato is transport for Ken Chups sauces. The buffers are golf tees or magnetic pin board pins. Chassis are either balsa wood or a Hornby Meccano base with Binnie plastic wheels...re the wheels fitted the wrong ones on the whisky wagon but the height differences is quirky.