Bank engine used to slow down Live Steam loco

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Bank engine used to slow down Live Steam loco

Post by dewintondave » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:08 am

I had a brain wave the other day, I've been thinking of all sorts of complicated ways to slow down my Kiso Forest Baldwin. It's only got small cylinders, and the valve gear is pure gauge 1, set for speed and economy. I like to run slow!

Our battery diesel was used as a banker engine. It actually started the train, and then was mostly towed around our line limiting the speed of the train.

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WZRvFSYFHHw?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WZRvFSYFHHw?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Best wishes,
Dave
Best wishes,
Dave

Alan P
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Alan P » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:22 pm

Great video Dave. I do like your line and the Baldwin, a very nice loco.
Alan.

The Milford Hill Light Railway

TMHLR http://www.alspcs.com/TMHLR.html

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:04 pm

Looks good - the only possible problem would be if the banker at the end of a long train went so slowly that the wagons would be pulled off the line on a sharp curve.

This is certainly the way to run double-headed steam: a manual loco on minimal throttle, "controlled" by an R/C steamer which does most of the work.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:29 pm

nice film Dave.

Have you thought of possibly restricting the exhaust steam as a way of regulating the speed? I know this was used as a way of taming some oscillating engines. And a badly made and fitted spark arrestor was the cause of sluggish performance of a friends 7 1/4'' loco.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:19 am

Thank you chaps.

I couldn't bring myself to modify the loco, and it needs the exhaust to draw the meths flames.

The Baldwin's voice is enhanced I think with this set-up. Starting the train is simplified, no more pushing the loco. The electric pushes the whole train along and then I open up the regulator and hold a tissue over the exhaust to catch the gunk, then the loco picks-up and pulls the whole lot around the circuit.

I was running in reverse so that I could see the gauge glass and bypass valve. I think my circuit runs the wrong way around, I think the gauge 1 guys run clockwise.

Best wishes,
Dave
Best wishes,
Dave