Loco-Boxes?

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
vc10rocks
Cleaner
Cleaner

Loco-Boxes?

Post by vc10rocks » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:54 pm

I have been trying to contact Loco-Boxes (Cambridge) for nearly a month now, have emailed, phoned and left numerous message, does anyone have any news of them, I was hoping to buy a couple of boxes. thanks

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:51 pm

Oh dear, lets hope its not another one on the big list of closing :(
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

vc10rocks
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by vc10rocks » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:15 pm

Hoping they are just on an extended break and that they are ok, website was last updated on 17 Nov, have sent 3 emails and left several messages on the answerphone, fingers crossed,

It is alarming the number of cottage industries that have disappeared recently

robyholmes
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by robyholmes » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:34 pm

I received a loco box for Christmas and I do know they can be very busy. Hopefully you will hear back soon.

vc10rocks
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by vc10rocks » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:36 am

Thanks Roby, at least that's a good sign but still rather odd that 3 emails and as many phone messages have gone unanswered in nearly a month, tried to leave another last night and answerphone was full.

Was your box a present or did you order for yourself, my first email was sent on 15 December

maxi-model
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by maxi-model » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:07 am

I ordered a carry box for my K-28 nigh on 3 years ago, with an added feature of an adjustable stop so I could use it for my NGG16 or 2 smaller locos. Several e-mails and numerous assurances when pressed at 2 consecutive Peterborough shows and a load of platitudes and still........nothing. Not so much as an apology for mucking me about for such a long time.

I really wonder why they seem to be so highly regarded and still in business. My experience goes beyond what would raise the understandable "on extended holiday/unspecified illness" concerns. I have now given up on them. Can't work out what the problem is. Always been polite when pressing for a commitment. Anybody else had this treatment from them. Max

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:58 am

Well after hearing that, not only wouldn't it be a surprise if they did go under, but also understandable, that's majorly disgusting. Personally never had any dealings with them all all, spoke to him once at a show and he just seemed a little up himself, but thought no more of it as I never judge people on a first chat, especially under show conditions.

vc10rocks
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by vc10rocks » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:34 pm

Does not make sense to ignore potential customers, while I could probably find an alternative solution for the box, I do need some rolling road units (Hog Hill) which they now own. I never expect a next day service from cottage industries but IF they are simply ignoring me I am reluctant to place any order
Last edited by vc10rocks on Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:45 pm

vc10rocks:115592 wrote:Does not make business sense to ignore potential customers, while I could probably find an alternative solution for the box, I do need some rolling road units (Hog Hill) which they now own. I never expect a next day service from cottage industries but IF they are simply ignoring me I am reluctant to part with any cash
Either way, its not the way to run a business is it. I certainly would never use them in the future, no matter what, but your experiences have put me off them. If it were me, I would find someone else for a rolling road and make my own box, lol :lol:

vc10rocks
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by vc10rocks » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:50 pm

I feel a visit to B&Q coming on LOL

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:07 pm

vc10rocks:115594 wrote:I feel a visit to B&Q coming on  LOL
This is a box I made for a friend of mine a short while ago. 4 bits of MDF, a bit of clear polystyene, one bit of hardboard, some screws and a small knob, so to speak, lol. Oh and a form of handle. Very simple, yet very effective.

http://www.16mmforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18

Steve

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:46 pm

With some basic workshop equipment it is a simple matter to construct stock boxes, as simple or complex as the mood takes you.
I make a wooden (6mm ply) box for every item of stock so that they are all protected for storage or transport to exhibitions etc. Each one is glued at the corners, glued and pinned to attach top and base, hinged and fitted with a catch. After painting they can be fitted out inside to protect delicate items and lined with felt.....
Mass production....

Samples of finished interiors....

The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:16 pm

Delightful Peter absolutely delightful :D
What has Reality done for you lately?

vc10rocks
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by vc10rocks » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:19 am

Yes indeed , lovely boxes Peter and they look very well made too. I would prefer an off the shelf solution as I don't have a lot of spare time at present. My first steam loco, that I aquired from ebay and probably paid a little over the odds for is currently resting on the kitchen table and needs more permanent storage.
Its really very frustrating that Loco boxes just seem to be ignoring me. Their answerphone is now accepting messages again so I guess they are listening to them. All I want to know is availability, shipping costs and a realistic delivery time,
I don't mind waiting as long as the supplier sticks to what they have said. Thanks to everyone that has replied

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:32 am

Its worth considering these type of boxes as they make great display cases too, as I said, very easy to make.

http://www.16mmforum.co.uk/download/fil ... &mode=view

http://www.16mmforum.co.uk/download/fil ... &mode=view

vc10rocks
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by vc10rocks » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:48 am

I can appreciate the display case aspect, but how do you access the loco inside, from what I can see from the images you kindly posted, you need to remove the Perspex front each time?

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:09 am

vc10rocks:115603 wrote:I can appreciate the display case aspect, but how do you access the loco inside, from what I can see from the images you kindly posted,  you need to remove the Perspex front  each time?
No sorry, crap pictures. One end has a drop in screw from the top that stops the side falling off, pull that out and then the end comes off using the little knob on the end. All those at the club that have seen them, love them.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:16 am

Is this any clearer, as I said, terrible pictures. ON the bit that comes out, at the bottom, there are just 2 screws part screwed in, heads cut off, and they are just used as locators for putting it into place, at the top, just a drop in screw. I use these for up to 0-6-0 live steam, very strong, look great on display, and I use the for carrying to club meets and house meets. Couldn't be happier with them. Original design by my father, I liked it that much I started making them too and have made them for others as well as gifts.

Note the screw in the top, just lifts out and drops in, you don't need any tools to open and close this box.

vc10rocks
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by vc10rocks » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:19 pm

Ah I see how it works now, yes another good idea, and a display option as well.

I did ring loco boxes again today and to my surprise I got an answer, Chris explained that they have been away over Xmas and have had a family bereavement, only getting back a couple of days ago and slowly going through a mountain of emails and messages. so we discussed my order and will see how it goes I guess, Will let you know how it works out

vc10rocks
Cleaner
Cleaner

Loco Boxes update

Post by vc10rocks » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:19 pm

Since my last post I received one email confirming my order on 15 Jan requesting my shipping address and saying my order would be a week and since then (1 month) nothing despite 3 emails requesting an update. Loco boxes do seem to be hard work!!