Southport Model Engineers do 16mm - a new layout is born

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
railwaygardener
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by railwaygardener » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:59 pm

An update on progress, after a lot of hard work by numerous people, not all of the 16mm fraternity (yet) Phase 2 is nearing completion.

Some photos are here:

http://tinyurl.com/kru6h8a

Derek Pratt

stoker
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by stoker » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:36 pm

railwaygardener:108211 wrote: Regrettably I will probably name it Stackton Trestle.
Ah!

Another ex-inhabitant of Acton Trussell.....

:D
youth is wasted on the young...

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:38 am

Wow, I can see that there has been a considerable amount of hard work involved in building this amazing line. Very interesting construction methods too.

By the way I love the picture of the horse drawn quarry wagon. :D
What has Reality done for you lately?

railwaygardener
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by railwaygardener » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:28 pm

Glad you like it Annie, the horse-drawn wagon is from an Atropos kit that belongs to a friend of mine.

We are now extending the line to include a second return loop, on the eastern side, just because we can and to make multiple-train running that more interesting.

I took a couple more photos of Phase 3 today:

http://www.railwaygardener.co.uk/Garden ... n/Phase-3/

The trackbed had a rather alarming amount of superelevation, now cured by some transverse sections screwed underneath, one of which was fixed to a post sunk in the ground.

If it ever stops raining the next job is to renew sections of the ballast which have come unstuck. Glass-fibre resin has been tested successfully so we may use that as an adhesive.

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:19 pm

Nice work on Phase III. I'm impressed with the flexibility of construction with the use of that PVC board and the PVC pipe supports.
We're supposed to be having Summer here, only the weather has been cold and wet with rain and gales so I'm glad that I'm building an indoor line and not trying to do anything in the garden.
What has Reality done for you lately?