The DDCLR

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
DrevenVonGlivenburg
Cleaner
Cleaner

The DDCLR

Post by DrevenVonGlivenburg » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:26 am

Hello
The Dreary Dirt Co. Light railway has been an ongoing project of mine, and I decided it was time to post it in some way. It's not a typical garden railway, so read my introductory article for a short description. http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about10001.html

So here are some recent photos of the majority of the line:

Looking down the line from the station.

View of the turnout with siding, shed, the two carts and plenty of junk.

Cart No. 5 in the workshop.

Not the most well-planned shed, still lacks a roof and other essentials.

The latest project is making a locomotive, this is the frame so far:

That's mostly it for a start.
There will be updates regarding the locomotive soon, since it is quite the project on its own and still is a work in progress.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:22 pm

If only I had the room. I do like what you're doing there as I find I am getting more and more drawn to the industrial side of railways. Keep the progress pictures coming and good luck with the loco.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:46 pm

I actually loved the picture of the points you made that you didn't post up on here, really impressed with them. Cracking work and well done :D

merlin2
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by merlin2 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:09 am

Fantastic; how green am I?
When I looked at the first two pics, it didn't immediately register what I was looking at, it wasn't until I looked the 3rd one, the wagon in the shed, that I realised that I was looking at a 'real' railway! Good luck with the loco project - looking very business like already.
Merlin

DrevenVonGlivenburg
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DrevenVonGlivenburg » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:30 pm

Took some updated photos showing the switch in detail. The points are made of simple angle iron, and the frog joint is just bent out of the rail, not cast or anything.
These pictures also give a better look at how the track is actually put together.

Turnout with lever in the foreground:

The points and linking bar beneath:

From downhill side, showing the frog joint and guard rails:

I have some time to begin working on the sheet metal housing for the loco, so there should be something new with that soon.

DrevenVonGlivenburg
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DrevenVonGlivenburg » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:14 am

The locomotive is beginning to take on the form I planned, good to have started covering the frame with its sheet metal housing after so long. There is still much to do in terms of the whole body, not to mention painting.
The photos are as of this weekend, but I may post some earlier pictures to show the process.

Beginning of the engine shroud with only top panel:

Later work with one side panel for the engine shroud and the control console installed behind:

And finally, a plan for the paint scheme and finished look:

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:34 pm

this is great more photos please all looks brilliant

DrevenVonGlivenburg
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DrevenVonGlivenburg » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:47 am

I will either be working on the cab or front plate of the engine housing soon, and hopefully I can begin to mount some controls in the panel before long.

DrevenVonGlivenburg
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DrevenVonGlivenburg » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:47 am

More progress on the locomotive, despite lack of time.

The first switches and buttons have been installed in the control panel, still not wired to anything, but that will be coming.

The engine housing is almost completed with it's new grill plate, but it still needs sheet metal on one side.

While the cab has yet to be put together, one side panel is done and the metal is cut for the other.

I clamped together a rough estimate of where the cab panel and wooden decking support would be, so it's working its way toward something more than just a bare frame.

Next order of business is to get 5/8 and 3/4 inch drill bits to finally get the drive sprockets onto the axles and wheels.

Nomis
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Nomis » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:49 pm

Great stuff!

Keep the updates coming ;)

DrevenVonGlivenburg
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DrevenVonGlivenburg » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:37 pm

I have been working on another cart, the first design looked something like this:
(Cart in foreground)

It is a side dump cart, which can tip to either side and open.

Lately I decided that it would be better if the two cart's height lined up, so the chassis was renovated. Angle iron pedestals were added and one axle now has suspension, similar to the other cart.
Raised and renovated cart:

Better cart linking and buffering could be made now that the frames lined up.

There's still much more to be done, but on top of cart construction, the rails are in need of some clearing now that autumn has come.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:06 am

I think this line and what you are doing is fantastic.

It must be great to be able to work in such a large scale ;)

A vertical boiler logging steam train would finish it all off with plumes of smoke everywhere!

DrevenVonGlivenburg
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DrevenVonGlivenburg » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:47 pm

It sure would be nice to have something steam powered, like a De Winton or a Heywood locomotive.

I saw a listing on Discover Live Steam for a 10 inch diam. 3 foot long boiler and single cylinder engine, but there wasn't any frame or wheels included, so I don't know if it would be worth the work of making a whole chassis for it.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:34 pm

what great fun that all looks