Thomas Land (Drayton Manor Park)

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Thomas Land (Drayton Manor Park)

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:28 am

Not sure if off topic or photo's is the right section for this.

Anyway took my daughter to Thomas Land yesterday & she had a great time. She even let me have a few minutes to take pics of the wonderful layout they have there. Someone said that it was used in some of the episodes of the series... I can't really remember any to know.

Anyway pics...

Shame that only one loco was actually running & I do hate it when they have rolling stock derailed in sidings on these layouts. Just makes it look like they don't look after it.. Aside from that it was superb.
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

George
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by George » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:33 pm

brillient pics, indeed all the models (apart from the thomas and one or two other charactors) where used in the TV series, which is one of the main reasons the layout doesnt really have trains running now as the models wasn't built to run 24hrs a day so they kept failing etc

The town Great Waterton on the layout is from Thomas and the Great Discovery which was a feature length and the very last time it was models only, the series following it went on to have models and CGI faces and then of course full CGI
George also known as Sharky

North Norfolk Railway TTI & Cleaner

http://sandnlr.webs.com/
(\__/)
(='.'=)  
(")_(")

George
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by George » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:40 pm

i think the main purpose of the layout is so people can actually see some of the models used in the TV series rather than having it as a working layout ;)

Although to be honest id rather seen the models gone on display somewhere like the NRM rather than Thomas Land :x :roll:
But at least they didn't get chucked into skip as I believe many people were worried that's what was going to happen when it went CGI

(\__/)
(='.'=)  
(")_(")

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:18 am

Thanks for the info there George, I must admit I only stumbled into the building it was in by accident as it's hidden away in the farm area. I agree that I wish too that it had gone somewhere better, theres a limit to how many times you can hear some knuckledragging person going "ooh look at the train...Chhooo chooo chooo, oh it's stopping at the train station....oh it didnt stop...leaves on the line" etc etc. :roll:

I grew up with the Rev Awdry books (1968-74) editions. Never saw much of the TV series to be fair. There seems to be a hell of a lot of new loco's & other charectors in it these days... Ohh & CGI Thomas!!! Really, is nothing safe!
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:57 am

I was very fortunate as a youngster in that my Dad often had business hiring machines to Shepperton Studios, where the original Britt Allcroft series (none of this HIT entertainment rubbish) was done.  I was a late starter at school so would hang around Dad in our garage where the business operated at the time, and would often get taken to Shepperton.  Business conducted we used to look through the door at "T Studio", so named because "Tugs" (anyone remember that?) and "Thomas" were filmed there.

Eventually they just started letting us in and from what I can remember I will describe to you exactly what it was like to a 6ish year old boy.  There was a main set, where a layout was set up for one location or another.  The studio was very darkly lit but the actual layout was fairly strongly lit.  To the left as you went in the front door there was a model workshop.  This was in a side room with a length of test track on the bench, which was covered in all sorts, from scenic items to rolling stock.  I distinctly remember seeing Bulstrode the barge (see the pics above!) there, and the chap telling us how much fun it had been to sink him!  I remember seeing the Daisy model, which was a pretty massive bit of kit, but the enduring memory I have was being handed a radio control transmitter, being directed toward Henry, and told to waggle the right stick, causing Henry's eyes to do the "confused spin", magic!  I can remember seeing a set for the Skarloey line being filmed, they had Peter Sam shuffling up and down it while they figured out what to do with the scene.  Considering I am coming up to 22, and I was about 6 at the time, and that I cannot remember more than 6 years ago with such clarity, it must have left a serious mark on me.  It certainly made me want to be a modeller.  The one regret was that I never rescued "City Of Truro".  He was only ever in one scene, of one episode if I remember right, and they'd just stuck him in a bin with a load of lens filters.  If only Dad had said something to them, that would have been an excellent souvenir!  The last thing said to us before we left (subsequently the last time, I finally went to school!) was "one day, when we finish filming, we'll connect all the sets up and run the railway".  I've always liked to think that they did!

those were the days!  Its not as fun now as it was back then :(
proudly flying in the face of convention

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:02 am

Tugs scared me as a child, Iv watched them all again on Youtube though, its surprisingly mature.
Hell charactors face the prospect of death and 1 actually does die, pretty tough stuff or a kids show.

I to have a passion for the original Thomas stories and the first 3 seasons of the show, it made me want to model, I would watch the show and be totally engrossed by the mechanics of it all, the sets, the models and how everything worked.
A steam propelled life-style.

George
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by George » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:16 am

bessytractor:55012 wrote:I was very fortunate as a youngster in that my Dad often had business hiring machines to Shepperton Studios, where the original Britt Allcroft series (none of this HIT entertainment rubbish) was done.  I was a late starter at school so would hang around Dad in our garage where the business operated at the time, and would often get taken to Shepperton.  Business conducted we used to look through the door at "T Studio", so named because "Tugs" (anyone remember that?) and "Thomas" were filmed there.

Eventually they just started letting us in and from what I can remember I will describe to you exactly what it was like to a 6ish year old boy.  There was a main set, where a layout was set up for one location or another.  The studio was very darkly lit but the actual layout was fairly strongly lit.  To the left as you went in the front door there was a model workshop.  This was in a side room with a length of test track on the bench, which was covered in all sorts, from scenic items to rolling stock.  I distinctly remember seeing Bulstrode the barge (see the pics above!) there, and the chap telling us how much fun it had been to sink him!  I remember seeing the Daisy model, which was a pretty massive bit of kit, but the enduring memory I have was being handed a radio control transmitter, being directed toward Henry, and told to waggle the right stick, causing Henry's eyes to do the "confused spin", magic!  I can remember seeing a set for the Skarloey line being filmed, they had Peter Sam shuffling up and down it while they figured out what to do with the scene.  Considering I am coming up to 22, and I was about 6 at the time, and that I cannot remember more than 6 years ago with such clarity, it must have left a serious mark on me.  It certainly made me want to be a modeller.  The one regret was that I never rescued "City Of Truro".  He was only ever in one scene, of one episode if I remember right, and they'd just stuck him in a bin with a load of lens filters.  If only Dad had said something to them, that would have been an excellent souvenir!  The last thing said to us before we left (subsequently the last time, I finally went to school!) was "one day, when we finish filming, we'll connect all the sets up and run the railway".  I've always liked to think that they did!

you luck..... :lol: i would of loved to seen seen all that :(
i might be 18 but the model series still interests me a great deal, non of this CGI rubbish - i saw one clip of it where the animater had though emilys safety valve was another funnel so there was smoke chuffing out of it! so much for him saying "if its preserved i go to the uk take pics etc and research into he history to get the loco right" :x

(\__/)
(='.'=)  
(")_(")

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:44 am

George:55017 wrote:
bessytractor:55012 wrote:I was very fortunate as a youngster in that my Dad often had business hiring machines to Shepperton Studios, where the original Britt Allcroft series (none of this HIT entertainment rubbish) was done.  I was a late starter at school so would hang around Dad in our garage where the business operated at the time, and would often get taken to Shepperton.  Business conducted we used to look through the door at "T Studio", so named because "Tugs" (anyone remember that?) and "Thomas" were filmed there.

you luck.....  :lol: i would of loved to seen seen all that  :(
i might be 18 but the model series still interests me a great deal, non of this CGI rubbish - i saw one clip of it where the animater had though emilys safety valve was another funnel so there was smoke chuffing out of it! so much for him saying "if its preserved i go to the uk take pics etc and research into he history to get the loco right"  :x
research fail :lol:
proudly flying in the face of convention

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:38 pm

A fascinating model - almost enough to make me want to go to Thomas Land! They obviously went to some trouble when filming the early episodes, but when Allcroft & co. started writing their own stories, that was the end of Thomas as Awdry knew him.

I think it's a real shame that the modern TV series hasn't stayed true to the spirit of the original Railway Series. Awdry proved that you can make real railway operations interesting and accessible for children, but the stories that are being written now are just silly. For example, I gather that a new, Japanese loco has been introduced - supposedly the first engine on Sodor. That's the reverse of real railway history - the first engines in Japan were British! It annoys me that they now feel the need to include foreign characters to appeal to international audiences. As a child, I sat through programmes that were quite obviously set in America or Australia - why shouldn't we return the compliment?

But then, to be fair, being brought up with the original Railway Series books has left me with a rather old-fashioned mindset...perhaps this is why I struggle to understand modern childrens' television? :roll:

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:49 pm

I'd agree that it is a shame that it is now CGI and nothing how I even remember it. However my little brother watches it all the time and to a five year old I don't think it really matters to him whether it is it model or CGI. I think over the years childrens tv has changed and this reflects it.

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:01 pm

taliesin001:55034 wrote:I'd agree that it is a shame that it is now CGI and nothing how I even remember it. However my little brother watches it all the time and to a five year old I don't think it really matters to him whether it is it model or CGI. I think over the years childrens tv has changed and this reflects it.
yeah, the problem is that it's changed for the worse.  The stuff that was on in the 90's whe I was growing up was far better than what's on now.  back then there were things like 'Play Bus', 'the animals of farthing wood', and 'The Demon Headmaster'.  Now it's all anime, and american cartoons.  what had happened to children's tv :cry: ?

Getting back to Thomas, word on the web is that there's going to be a big screen film released next year.  don't know much in the way of details, but's it's going to be live action, with the company that does the SFX for films like 'Lord of the rings' providing the CGI.  if so, hopefully thomas and his friends will look more realistic than in the current CGI series.

edit: more info. It's being written by the guy who did the shrek films, and is apprently going to be set in WW2 :?:
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:09 pm

Lookis good that set! ;)
Childrens TV is rubbish now, even in the last few years, (I'm only 15!), there was thomas, tugs ect.. Even with CBBC there was shows such as Ghost Hunster and others which were actual people playing the, not forgetting Byker Grove and Grange Hill ;) Now its all these rubbish game shows where you don't actually win anything, and pointless shows thats generally relate to nothing!
ANyway, the Thomas set looks good, never really seen static pictures of it, looks interesting!
Thanks
Jack

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:57 am

Great photo's Shane - and that harbour scene was exactly what I had in mind for your line! :D ............. are you gonna be using the pics as reference????????????? ;)

Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Post by Hancockshire » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:06 pm

I must say seeing those pictures remind me on how I used to love Thomas as a kid. I also have to say the lighting on that layout looks ace. Plus you have the high levels of detail on the actual sets. One of the episodes I remember best was the one with Rheneas returning to the narrow gauge line & the other engines were chattin'/ slaggin' him off behind his cab back :lol:

SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SpudUk » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:00 am

Just found all this, has made my day!!

Anybody know what gauge the original sets are?
Chris Auckland