'Isle of Anne' Roundhouse Loco - 'Vixen'

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
dougrail
Driver
Driver

'Isle of Anne' Roundhouse Loco - 'Vixen'

Post by dougrail » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:43 pm

As I had let the cat out of the bag earier this week on SylvainTennant's thread...

TR 150 saw a lot of great action, both on the 16mm and large railway. It also saw a five year dream realised - the acquisition of a working, reliable Roundhouse locomotive.

Yup. Paid for with a ton of overtime from work - money specially set aside for 'new engine', plus the entire of my work bonus points account flushed out into cash to go towards it. This was a treat to myself for surviving 6+months and passing my probation period with NX in what is a very stressful but reward proper job.

Selection Process
Originally, I had been gunning for an Accucraft Lawley - big, green, chunky and rare as well as looking grand, in my opinion. It seemed odd that I'd prefer this over the traditional RH Lady Anne. However a modern Lady Anne just didn't appeal to me.

Mechanically, it's superior. Noone can dismiss the fact that Roundhouse's mechanics are made with finer quality and the fact they run test them before releasing them from the factory. Respect to them.

I just didn't like the look though. Lack of running plate, slanted cabback, extended sidetanks, it just didn't look right to me.

The Lawley looked as a hypothetical 'what if' of if Swindon had directly built narrow gauge [as opposed to inherited]. So damn attractive.

Putting out the call across Facebook and diving through Google however proved mixed reviews. Some swore it was altogether better than the Lady Anne. Others however warned of poor performance on gradients.

Choice, choices.

But just what managed to supplant the proposed Lawley?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday night of TR 150 after a great afternoon running and chilling saw this bought down in a box - being delivered to Simon Whenmouth of AnythingNarrow Gauge.

Why not?
In that stormy dusk, ruminations started. It was an 0-6-0, it was Roundhouse Lady Anne, but didn't look knobbly. Infact, the low-pitched boiler worked on this engine along with the curved Manx cab, footplate and clean, streamlined form as a whole. :) Add in that it is a unique engine, also detailed and lined by Berry Hill Works and we are looking at a rather unique locomotive. It ticked all of the boxes. :cool:

After a night of deliberations, I'd decided I would make serious enquiries - service history, origins, modifications, age of the chassis etc. The following morning I was able to examine her in better light too.

Some discussion with Matt Acton and Simon W started - pestering them only once I made sure I was going to seriously consider this attractive little loco.

[feel free to correct me if needed SirH]

The chassis, cylinders, motion and boiler and gas are all standard Roundhouse parts, with a custom body of tanks, cab and running plate. The best of both worlds.

It transpires that the engine was originally a half-built kit of parts. The original owner had wanted an Isle of Man Beyer Peacock style loco. He had built the custom bodywork, but added a meth-fired pot boiler. With the bodywork, there was going to be insufficient vent space.

The chassis was the most modern [and regaugable!]of the rareish 0-6-0 slip eccentric range; but had not been run prior to the final build and test runnings at Berry Hill Works I believe. So a brand new chassis just about. Fantastic news.

The original meths boiler was replaced, with a modern boiler and smokebox, and fitted a proper RH gas burner and tank to the engine - result, a working engine. Gas fired - yes please. :)

Furthermore, more observation showed that this 'old model but new age' slip eccentric chassis had up to date Roundhouse cylinders, motion and thicker-axled driving wheels. Pretty much a 'new' engine but in a heritage configuration. A bonus - pretty much a brand new engine therefore.

With this in mind, and knowing its build history - plus knowing the final builder [SirHaydn/BHW] and assured of their quality I went for the plunge. A 'bank loan' was secured and the credit card duly handed over.

By midday of the Saturday, I was [and am] the proud owner of this maroon little engine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday Celebrations

....well, actually, Sunday started off somewhat soggy. Most of us were taking shelter inside the Llechfan garage for the wet and damp morning :lol:

Then around 1pm, suddenly the skies cleared as if a light switch had been flicked and it was blazing warm with blue skies :shock:

Out came the engines...

And came the maiden steaming. After an hour's tuition of where to oil, what to look out for and how to run a slip eccentric loco courtesy of MRFS [Marquid de Carabas] the engine was steamed up.

Every Silver Lining...

There was one small issue with the gas burner mind. The loco was cooled and SirHaydn was asked to inspect the engine. I was extremely pleased with Matt's assistance - swift, certain and professional throughout. Definitely has got me giving Berry Hill Works a great thumbs up 8) 8)

A complaint? Not at all. As said, the minor issue was sorted in 10mins plus, silver lining, allowed me to see how the loco came apart for maintenance and tweaks and/or small jobs without needing to seek future assistance. It's all good :)

Take Off
With that, we soon had a head of steam....

The first run was a few laps, light, running round the main line. The second fill saw the loco trot around in reverse - and then go rescue the train of a modern Laye Anne which had ran out of gas and water. :cool:

When oiled up properly, she runs like a sewing machine. :D

Did very well for itself that Sunday afternoon indeed.

"So, welcome to the shed, young'un..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No regrets. :cool:

'Isle of Anne'? Not the engine's name - but a new class name, one could say, with the appreciable pun put in there. I hope to be able to bring the engine to Butterley some point soon as well as give her a good run with the 'Premier' bogie coaches [still awaiting repainting but...]

~

There was one last 'Sod's Law' incident which made me chuckle though. Two days after, travelling home, Narrow Minded of this parish posted up a link on a couple FB groups - yes folks, Ebay had produced a plain green Accucraft Lawley. For a few seconds I considered my options.

Then I shrugged it off - I believe I chose the better option in the end. :cool:

New nameplates are to be ordered, along with transfers for the bufferbeam and some RH cylinder covers which will be painted and lined to match the engine. I'm also pondering a builder's plate.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:13 pm

I'll look forward to seeing that at Butterley.....................

Now here's a question - who are you going to put on the builder's plate? Would you believe that the additional plate on the restored Ashover coach (Restored GVLR 2014) was the cause of more arguments than the rest of the restoration?
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:32 pm

I intend to use the design of the firm that ultimately rebuilt the engine design to a fully working state and which put the 'box of bits' together into a full locomotive. If they have a worksplate design.

As for Butterley? I am thinking perhaps a midweek visit.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:36 pm

PM me for the visit and I'll pop over!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:45 am

Fantastic loco! Both because its got a bit of an interesting history, but because its also no longer just another Lady Anne! Got to admit to being a tiny bit biased towards a Lawley though.....

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:13 am

Brian - will do! Don't know when will be though.

Pippindoo - ayes, I don't blame you, a Lawley was my original target :D Had it not been for this little interloper, Im would have certainly gone for the Lawley...

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:23 pm

nice to see someone running something different to the standard roundhouse stuff, very good :)
'Professional Bodge artist '

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:33 pm

It's certainly different - it's also a perhaps unique hybrid of Roundhouse mechanics, I reckon. The slip eccentric 060 I don't mind but am very pleased it's a modern gas fired boiler. :)

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:23 pm

That is a smashing looking engine you have there.

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:12 pm

very very nice, im tempted to get a lady ann and do a similar (but not the same thing) looking forward to seeing it at the paddock
Steam is highly under rated

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:26 pm

Nice loco, something unique :thumbright: Good report too
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:40 pm

Big Jim:112112 wrote:That is a smashing looking engine you have there.
She's a beaut - product of Berry Hill Works, which built her from a box of bits. :)
Joe:112117 wrote:very very nice, im tempted to get a lady ann and do a similar (but not the same thing) looking forward to seeing it at the paddock
For maximum flexibility/creative room, you'd probably either have to get an older slip eccentric chassis, or, work a way to fit your custom bodywork around the tall elbow of the modern valve gear. I shall be there next Sunday 26th all going well. :)
Dannypenguin:112119 wrote:Nice loco, something unique :thumbright: Good report too
That's what I like about her :cool:

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:38 pm

Lovely loco you've got there Doug, looks a lot better than a standard Lady Anne in my opinion. 8)

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:17 pm

MDLR:112099 wrote:Would you believe that the additional plate on the restored Ashover coach (Restored GVLR 2014) was the cause of more arguments than the rest of the restoration?
Yes. Having worked with volunteers for many years at a number of different railways, I'm afraid that doesn't surprise me at all... :roll:

Anyway, I'm glad you're pleased with your engine Doug, it must be very satisfying to have something that stands out from the crowd :)

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:42 pm

She reminds me quite a bit of NSB Class VIII - a pair of 2-6-0T built by Beyer Peacock in 1874. They were somewhat in the same line of development as the 2-4-0Ts, the B&L bruiser 2-6-0ST, and the Tasmanian Railways C Class Moguls, which also were a tender version of the same design.

Cheers,
Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.