Finally.. construction of the Tycroes Narrow Gauge Railway!!

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
gamma
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by gamma » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:18 pm

Stunning work! bravo! ;)

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Stage 2 Block work completed

Post by kandnwlr » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:04 pm

DickH:101375 wrote:Hi everyone, managed to get stage 2 (final stage at the moment) of blockwork laid today.
This shows the overall additional track bed

The first area will be where the station complex will be - main station buildings at the back and additional platform in between the two rails

This area is for two sidings both with return loops so we can bring rolling stock in, park and then bring the diesel back out. If the weather holds in the next few days should have the finished line laid by Thursday evening!! The siding passing loops are almost 2.5 meters long, the perspective of the photos tends to shorten the view
Great to see things moving ahead so fast. Trains, please :D

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:23 pm

Nice work Dick...... So glad you found trustworthy and experienced railway builders in your area. Good to know the Brunel family are still in business there!

DickH
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by DickH » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:25 pm

Peter Butler:101384 wrote:Nice work Dick......  So glad you found trustworthy and experienced railway builders in your area.     Good to know the Brunel family are still in business there!
Hi Peter,

they are actually my local landscape gardeners - first time they have ever built a railway foundation but they listen and take orders!!
Retirement has its benefits if only I can afford the railway!

Andrew

Re: Stage 2 Block work completed

Post by Andrew » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:01 pm

kandnwlr:101383 wrote:
Great to see things moving ahead so fast. Trains, please  :D
Ditto to both comments, fantastic progress and a lovely looking line - now it just needs some trains!

All the best,

Andrew.

DickH
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Track laying finished

Post by DickH » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:13 pm

Managed to finish laying the sidings to day

Left hand siding is passenger siding with the shorter return loop. Right hand side is for goods wagons

At the end of each siding there will be loco sheds, with water towers and coal shuts etc. At the start of the sidings there will be a signal box complex.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:13 pm

looking very good keep up the good work and keep us posted you have planed your railway out very well im very impressed

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:14 am

That´s going to be an impressive terminus, as we can all see here in the pics. Looking forward to the next progress report :shock:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:45 pm

Very impressive long run you have there Dick.
I have just been looking back over your posts to see whether you have a crossover to change running to the opposite direction and allow trains to drive forward into the storage sidings and run-round.
You might prefer to reverse into the sidings, in which case your line is now complete.
Looking forward to your first Open Day.

DickH
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by DickH » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:23 pm

Peter Butler:101567 wrote:Very impressive long run you have there Dick.  
 I have just been looking back over your posts to see whether you have a crossover to change running to the opposite direction and allow trains to drive forward into the storage sidings and run-round.
 You might prefer to reverse into the sidings, in which case your line is now complete.
 Looking forward to your first Open Day.
Hi Peter, did a lot of thinking about that and the only way the layout works is to drive clockwise around the loop and drive forward into the sidings. As there is no turntable (yet!!) I will drive into the loco sheds and reverse out of the shunting yards.
I would like to utilise the diesel shunter to pull rolling stock out of the sidings, this is why there is two passing loops on the sidings.
Next step is to now start thinking about ballasting, did you have any luck with the local quarries? If not I will bite the bullet with Swift Sixteen and try and do some bulk negotiating!!
The first two "buildings" will be the two loco sheds and although I would have loved the ones from Treddol, with a 12 - 15 months waiting list I have opted for resin kits from Pendle Valley Workshops. Don't forget you have an open invitation anytime and as I will not start to landscape till later in the year I think the first "Open Day" will probably be 2015!!
See you Wednesday

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:39 pm

All work on the railway came to a halt following recent events (see Off Topic) including the search for ballast.
Life is now beginning to return to normal, I'm just having a problem defining 'normal' at the moment!
I hope to be able to post details of my latest in the series of monthly projects soon. That should be a positive sign.

DickH
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by DickH » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:07 pm

Hi everyone - been a year since my last update but railway went on hold for a while with some health issues - me dealing with prostate cancer during the winter and just as I was being given the all clear my wife had a stroke!
Fortunately everything is good now with no long term issues for the wife. So as the weather improved work has started again so some updates.

Started with 8 ton of stones being delivered to line the blocks to create a planting area once the railway is finished.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

With all of the borders laid and rough top soil done attention has now switched to the buildings. After lots of painting of the various components the station area is complete - waiting to finish additional walls to create rear parking.

The signal box and the station employees cottages in place.

The two water towers, the diesel tank, line side hut, sand box and the first of the two loco sheds in place.

Second loco shed is now ready and will be place and we need to start working on a lot of stone walling before we start ballasting etc. More photos over the next few weeks

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:59 pm

Nice to see you back in circulation Dick and I am glad to hear both you and Mrs Dick are in better heath.

The line looks fantastic, keep up the good work.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:01 am

That is nice Dick and good to see someone else running on breeze blocks although it looks like you've got the space around yours to shuffle buildings around. I have to shoehorn.
Glad to hear you're both well, a bit of lesson for me about "seizing the day", must make some inroads on the layout this summer.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:57 pm

All looking very good Dick..... I couldn't see a reference in your write-up to say where they came from, but for the benefit of others I happen to know they are all Cain Howley Structures, and beautifully made too!
Looking forward to visiting your railway again and seeing some movement on the line.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?