Goods traffic on the PLR

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Goods traffic on the PLR

Post by ge_rik » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:10 pm

Having just spent a couple of weeks sorting out the revised version of my freight handling program, I decided it was time I put it (back) into action.

Manning Wardle 0-6-0T, Harthill, delivers the stock to the various locations at the start of the session.

Then returns light to Beeston Market

She then takes the Down pickup goods. Departing Bulkeley station

Then returns with the Up pickup goods - departing Bickerton

Approaching Peckforton

Shunting into the Mill Siding

Approaching Beeston Market

The afternoon Up mixed with barclay 2-4-0T, Beeston, in charge, approaching Bulkeley ......

...... before arriving at Beeston Market

Harthill ends the day by collecting all the stock to return to the storage yard (the labels remind which stock goes where)

I find that using a semi-randomised program to generate the traffic gives me some interesting shunting problems to solve down the line and provides me with some train formations I may not have otherwise considered.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:02 pm

Sounds fun! Great photos too...

I came up with something similar last year, dubbed my "Shuntomatic System 3000" (!!!) by my kids, who also enjoy using it. Mine involves rolling an adapted die to select the number of wagons that will make up the train, drawing numbered cards to decide which they are, and then tossing a coin to determine which station they're destined for - either the intermediate station or the other terminus .

It works pretty well, and like you say, it creates shunting puzzles and interesting formations, but it still needs a little tweaking - I can end up with all the wagons at one end of the line. More wagons would help there, but I don't have the sidings to put 'em in... And I've not tried it with a steam engine yet...

Does yours work along similar lines?

Cheers,

Andrew.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:06 pm

So much lovely scenary - the wooden bridge caught my eye - a bit like the low bridges on the Snape Branch. Any info on it?

With regards wagons and shunting - I tend to spend longer planning the movements before hand setting the wagons up in places then the time the engine is in steam can be best spent without time wasting head scratching.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:50 pm

Andrew:109993 wrote: I came up with something similar last year, dubbed my "Shuntomatic System 3000" (!!!) by my kids, who also enjoy using it. Mine involves rolling an adapted die to select the number of wagons that will make up the train, drawing numbered cards to decide which they are, and then tossing a coin to determine which station they're destined for - either the intermediate station or the other terminus .

It works pretty well, and like you say, it creates shunting puzzles and interesting formations, but it still needs a little tweaking - I can end up with all the wagons at one end of the line. More wagons would help there, but I don't have the sidings to put 'em in... And I've not tried it with a steam engine yet...

Does yours work along similar lines?
Cheers,
Andrew.
Hi Andrew
I started off with a die rolling approach on my indoor 00 layout but, because I have 5 stations and two additional sidings (for the mill and the copper mine) I found it was getting a bit complicated - so I opted for a similar sort of approach using an 'intelligent' database program (Livecode).

The database stores info about the seven locations and also about each wagon. Each wagon then has information on the % likelihood that it will travel from and to each location

This timber wagon, for example, has a 40% likelihood it will travel from Beeston Market (BM) to Peckforton (PK) as there is a timber yard at Peckforton. But it will never travel from PK to CM (the copper mine).

Using these data, I can then generate trains of whatever length I want. I can keep generating randomised trains until I see one which looks interesting and then, when I "Accept" the train, the database updates by moving the relevant wagons to their new locations.

I created the first version about ten years ago, but it would only run on Windows XP - this version not only runs on Windows 7 (not sure if it will run on 8 or 10 yet), it will also run on Macs and if I do a bit of tweaking I can get it to run on Android tablets and phones. Not found out how to do it on iPads and iPhones yet.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:51 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:109995 wrote:So much lovely scenary - the wooden bridge caught my eye - a bit like the low bridges on the Snape Branch. Any info on it?
Similar, it's true. As a former East Anglian (hence the GE bit of my moniker), I have a great affection for the East Suffolk line and its tributaries. This particular bridge is based (loosely) on the bridge over the Blyth near the Mill Siding on the Southwold railway - http://riksrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... estle.html I say loosely, because I couldn't get the right cross sections of timber in oak, so had to compromise a bit.
Mr. Bond of the DVLR:109995 wrote: With regards wagons and shunting - I tend to spend longer planning the movements before hand setting the wagons up in places then the time the engine is in steam can be best spent without time wasting head scratching.
To be honest, one of the main reasons all my stock is battery powered is because I love freight operations and the logistical problems of shunting. I gave up on track power because of the fag of track cleaning and the frustration of erratic operation. For me, battery power is ideal - snailpace running, no faltering over dead spots in the track, and absolute precision in control.

My lifelong ambition has been to model a complete railway system - nearly there......

Rik
Last edited by ge_rik on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
------------------------

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Wow, I'm impressed! I like your idea of a complete system too, and always have done - have you ever tried a session with multiple operators and trains? I like those old stories of group of mates (or chums, in those days) getting together to run a clockwork version of Crew or whatever, with the air filled with clanging bell codes and pipe smoke...

I do reckon that your sort of operation would be pretty tricky with live steam, particularly manually controlled. I tried it to a limited extent yesterday - just adding a couple of wagons to a pick-up goods at the intermediate station, running around and swapping the guards van to the back at the top terminus, then dropping another couple of wagons on the way back down. Even that simple sequence on my short line took quarter of an hour or more, although that's partly because lack of space dictates that my line's awkward to run with manual locos. Good fun, but you need to be in the mood for it - I think my wife thought I'd really lost the plot...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:55 pm

Rik, Andrew,

You're speaking my language here. A railway has to have a reason in my book and the reason behind every railway is the traffic it was built to carry. Remember the opening lines to the BTF film "Fully Fitted"?

I quite understand that some people's garden railways are there to run their engines and rolling stock on but for me it's the complete railway that is the interest. There doesn't even have to be a train there, if it's done right the railway itself can be a joy to behold, there are plenty of examples of that on here.

Operating realism gives a purpose to running a train and that brings another dimension to the railway. Doing it the way you do makes that process as realistic as possible. The data base sounds a canny idea, is it commercially available or something home produced?

Most of all, please keep up the postings. They are a real pleasure to read.

All the best,

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:15 pm

Soar Valley Light:110003 wrote:Rik, Andrew,
The data base sounds a canny idea, is it commercially available or something home produced?

Most of all, please keep up the postings. They are a real pleasure to read.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew
No, it's not commercially available - but if you (or anyone else) wants a copy just PM me. I'm happy to share it.

Rik
------------------------

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:19 pm

Lovely pictures Rik.

Can you be arrested for tweaking in Macs? Sounds a professional approach, still working towards more sustained running here let alone working what trains to run. One for the future.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:45 pm

bazzer42:110005 wrote: Can you be arrested for tweaking in Macs?
Or should that be twerking? :lol:

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:54 pm

Andrew:110001 wrote:Wow, I'm impressed! I like your idea of a complete system too, and always have done - have you ever tried a session with multiple  operators and trains?
Not yet, no - but it would certainly save the legs. After a running session following each train around all day I've probably walked half a marathon.
Andrew:110001 wrote: Good fun, but you need to be in the mood for it - I think my wife thought I'd really lost the plot...  
Cheers,
Andrew.
Fortunately, my missus is extremely tolerant and understanding. She sometimes even feigns interest. At least she knows it's keeping me out of mischief... ;)

Rik
------------------------

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:48 am

ge_rik:110010 wrote:
Andrew:110001 wrote: Good fun, but you need to be in the mood for it - I think my wife thought I'd really lost the plot...  
Cheers,
Andrew.
Fortunately, my missus is extremely tolerant and understanding. She sometimes even feigns interest. At least she knows it's keeping me out of mischief... ;)

Rik
Actually, I'm doing mine a dis-service - she was a little bemused as she sat on the swing sofa (the trains go underneath) and watched me fiddle about with three link couplings and dodge the blasts of a lifting safety valve, but once I'd reverted to R/C battery power she even asked to have a go... I'm considering her request to convert the line into a continuous run so that she can watch the trains go past more frequently...

Andrew.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:02 am

fantastic photos and lots of nice bridges too

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:58 am

Some very appropriate & atmospheric images there Rik.

Thank you for sharing them with us.

Chris Cairns

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:07 am

Thanks chaps

The railway is out of action for a few days while I try to eliminate a couple of R1 curves from the raised section of the main line. Turning out to be a greater civil engineering feat than anticipated.

Rik
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:32 pm

Andrew:110001 wrote:I do reckon that your sort of operation would be pretty tricky with live steam, particularly manually controlled.
The SSP slomo allows prototypical operation with live steamers now as Chris Bird demonstrates:

https://youtu.be/fSVsm1SCHSk

I sent Terry pictures of my SL and coal fired Lady Anne so I am hoping he is going to be able to make the Lady Anne version of the slomo fit these locos as well.

Your line looks brilliant Rik, great effort.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:49 pm

Slow running aside there is a problem with duration of run with most gas fired live steamers, it is very easy to spend more than 30 minutes shunting about at each station and only get one return trip in even on my line.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:37 am

tom_tom_go:110105 wrote:
Andrew:110001 wrote:I do reckon that your sort of operation would be pretty tricky with live steam, particularly manually controlled.
The SSP slomo allows prototypical operation with live steamers now as Chris Bird demonstrates:

https://youtu.be/fSVsm1SCHSk

I sent Terry pictures of my SL and coal fired Lady Anne so I am hoping he is going to be able to make the Lady Anne version of the slomo fit these locos as well.

Your line looks brilliant Rik, great effort.
Thanks for that tom-tom
That's the most convincing video of a live steam loco in operation I've seen. I'd be almost won over but ...... for the cost of one Slomo unit, I can build two battery locos including the batteries and the r/c and still have change to spare. I'm afraid, on my pension, it's a bit of a no-brainer.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:52 am

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:110106 wrote:Slow running aside there is a problem with duration of run with most gas fired live steamers, it is very easy to spend more than 30 minutes shunting about at each station and only get one return trip in even on my line.
I hadn't realised that. I recently got more than five hours continuous running on one charge with my latest battery conversion - http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/sutr ... php#109145. It's seldom I'd need to run for five hours continuously; except maybe when gardening and I want something pottering around in the background. - even then, five hours gardening!!?? But I do sometimes have a complete running session where I operate a full day's timetable - eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzTkOCPQKmo . But, because I have at least three locos 'in steam' plus the railbus, none of them would be running for over five hours during the day. So far, I've never yet had to recharge a loco during a complete day's running.

Rik
------------------------