Mamod Loco Overlay Updates

Announcements on new models and reviews should be posted here
dougrail
Driver
Driver

Mamod Loco Overlay Updates

Post by dougrail » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:54 pm

Hi folks,

A few weeks ago I launched my Mamod/J-class body overlays projects for sale. Thought I would update the forum.

First Update - Tender Loco Kits

The first three commercial kits have been made and will be delivered to their buyers at the 16mm AGM Show in Peterborough. These photos illustrate the deal exactly - how they're sold and what they make up. Shortly after the photos, the 8BA countersunk bolts and nuts were attached into the appropriate holes to ensure they would be delivered safely - with my kits come the nuts and bolts needed to secure them afterall!

As can be observed, this is the final product. The rivet detail is provided as dimples on the interior sides to act as a guide for your own rivet popping. Afterall, you might not want as many rivet heads as allowed for, or, you might want allow for a smooth welded tank look. This option means the buyer can personalise them to their desire - but the rivet dimples provide a guide for you to make a straight, professional job of it.

The final price is £37.00 + post at the moment - I have secured now four orders and am aiming to place new orders on the 20th March with the magic men.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update Number Two - A New Design

Having designed and measured up, I got the CAD work done on a simpler design of rivet-option overlays.

One paper and card prototype later.

I aimed for a simple improvement which left the cab unhindered but added a new presence to the quintessential Mamod/Janet loco by taking away the 'toylike pannier' look.

These are a simpler set-up of two pieces, again from 0.28 brass and simple to set in shape by simply folding the tankfronts. The rivet detail will again be dimples on the insides allowing you to select how much - or if any [welded tanks?] rivet detail you want on the tanksides.

The pieces are held in place by the cab-rails of the standard body.

Both tank sides and fronts are covered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I aim to be placing the next batch of orders for both kit types on March 20th.

The Tender Loco kit will come with six 8BA countersunk-head nuts and bolts and costs £37.00 plus post.

The Simple Tanksides kit requires no new fastenings - holes going over the handrail holes - and will cost £25.00 + post.

Alternatively, I aim to deliver orders in person at Peterborough 16mm AGM Show in April - hence the March 20th order deadline to save postage. Could also do delivery elsewhere say at other shows if people could make it.

Payment preferably by Paypal Gift, please.

Looking forward to receiving orders

All the best

Doug

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:57 pm

There are now four orders for the Simple Tank kits, which means they will now be going into production! ;)

I'll be taking three sets to Pboro Show for anyone to inspect and potentially buy. Looking forward to your custom folks.

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:38 pm

PRE-PETERBOROUGH AGM UPDATE

Pleased to say the kits have arrived - first batch of Sidetank Overlays and the second batch of Tender Loco bodykits are ready for dispatch [most are being delivered at Peterborough.]

The batches can be seen, and the photos also show the Side tank Overlays attached to a locomotive as display proving. They fit snugly - but I would rather that than they slopping off the engine.

5 of 7 Sidetank Overlays have been purchased, there will be two sets still remaining which I would be happy to bring to Peterborough. They are for sale at £25 each.

There are 2 of 7 Tender Loco body kits available which will also be at Peterborough. One is flat pack and will be for sale at £37 as previously advertised. The other is made up of the Side tanks ONLY (no cabfront piece) and can be sold, all set up ready to install for £30, a one-off sale.

All kits have interior rivet-dimpling in order to provide guiding for rivet punching.

Feel free to message me here, private message me or even find me at Peterborough. More than happy to field any enquires and discuss requests - latest is for a bunker kit, so I may seek opinions on what would be the most popular style.

- Doug