Lineside Delights Hut - Nearly Finished

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
Chris
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Lineside Delights Hut - Nearly Finished

Post by Chris » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:40 pm

I had a bit of free time today so I spent it doing some painting. I haven't painted a model since I was a kid (and then very very very badly), so feeling rather pleased with myself.

Just a bit of tidying up to do then it will be finished.

Now I have practised on this one and worked out a few better ways of doing things I might get a cottage kit next time.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:48 pm

Looking very good, though I must get round to painting my station building which has been waiting for months!
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:13 pm

that looks great Chris I think I need to do something about building on the aclr

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:00 pm

Very nice Chris.

The brickwork on the chimney has come out very well.

Chris
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Chris » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:02 pm

ACLR wrote:that looks great Chris I think I need to do something about building on the aclr
I can't compare with other manufacturers as this is the only one I have used, but generally I would recommend lineside delights. Prices don't seem too bad. The kit was easy to stick together but did need some trimming, and I should have done some filling at the corners to improve it.

Thought I would start with one of the cheapest kits to see how it went.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:08 pm

aye reet grand Chris lad! Well dun.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:11 am

Just had a look at this model on Lineside Delights.
Lineside Delights wrote:To add to the railway charm the door and window lintels are moulded as railway sleepers.
That is a nice touch which you have picked out in your painting Chris.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:35 pm

I've read lots of stuff about painting brickwork, but I've not had the courage to do so yet, you've done a great job but I was expecting it after I'd seen your staithes!

Chris
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Chris » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:53 pm

SillyBilly wrote:I've read lots of stuff about painting brickwork, but I've not had the courage to do so yet, you've done a great job but I was expecting it after I'd seen your staithes!
I'm really pleased with the brick work. I started by painting the whole model in watered down (with white spirit) humbrol enamel ochre colour (83). I did this with a small piece of sponge dabbing on the runny paint so that it got into all the gaps. Then to do the brick I used red brown colour (100) with a brush, I used very little paint on the brush (by rubbing some of it off on a piece of spare plastic) and gently brushing over the paintwork so that the bristles didn't go down the gaps in the bricks (if that makes sense). Much easier to do than I expected.

I used humbrol dark slate (224) on the roof (painted before sticking it on), and coloured some of the stones on the hut with humbrol mid stone (84) and some with the various colours mixed together.

Lintels painted with natural wood (110), and the door and window frame with mid green (131).

(humbrol colour codes in brackets).

It is remarkable how far the paint in those little pots goes.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:34 pm

As long as your local shop has any in stock! I've been trying to get some silver to finish a loco lamp for my IP Jane, but they have still not got any Humbrol or Revell Silver in stock.

Chris
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Chris » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:51 pm

CCairns wrote:
As long as your local shop has any in stock! I've been trying to get some silver to finish a loco lamp for my IP Jane, but they have still not got any Humbrol or Revell Silver in stock.
The model shop I went to seemed fairly well stocked but I couldn't get all the colours I wanted. Seeing as I have to travel to town to get the paint which costs £5 on the train or car parking I'm just going to order on the internet next time.

Chris
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Chris » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:10 pm

My Christmas present from my wife arrived today, so now I have a frustrating wait until December to get my hands on it!

I was very happy with my little hut from lineside delights, so we ordered the crofters cottage:

LD025 Crofters Cottage Kit
http://www.linesidedelights.co.uk/useri ... ocart3.htm

Opened it to check it all all there, and looks like a great kit. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:48 pm

Very nice, I need one of they!

made-in-england
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by made-in-england » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:41 am

Very nice mate! When i finally pull my finger out mite have to get one of thoes haults!
Passengers are reminded not to tease the engines