Trainee Driver

Post by SLRmidge » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:34 am

A unicycle on rails.... :D
Ian of the SLR(N)

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:05 pm

well its been three years, time to pick this project up, not sure why its taken this long, what you see below was done in about three days.  As you can see I've soldered the cab to the running board and added the splasher tops.  These were annealed and then rolled around a Pritt Stick before being soldered (hi-temp, 243 degree soft solder) to the splashers and running board.  I have tried to use the high temp stuff for most of it as its such a small machine it will get pretty hot.

The roof was brass annealed and rolled round a paint pot, and the little stanchion thingies are just brass wire bent up and soldered to the rest of the cab (again with the 243).  I just need to put some little bits on the cab (seal up those holes which are now redundant) and that end of the engine is finished.

Most importantly the Dream Steam cylinders have had their stupidly tight O rings corrected so it will actually run now!

Smokebox next  :D

proudly flying in the face of convention

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:19 pm

That looks Brilliant.
I can't wait to see it finished and running. I know this Emmet 'design' has been modelled with electric power before (By Peter Butler) but never thought anyone was unhinged (in the nicest sense of the word) to try this in live steam.
Go for it!
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:57 pm

thanks, I have heard reference to this electric model, has anyone got a picture? I remember thinking back in 2011 that Mamod mechanics would probably do for it, so designed it as a fag packet drawing around a scale drawing of effectively half a mamod chassis. That led to a scale drawing of a boiler which dictated the rest.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:42 pm

How I've managed to miss this thread beats me..... I am always on the look out for Emett modellers and this one looks to be amazing!
I can't do a live steam build, but my plasticard electric version does work on my garden line, carefully balanced by its tender which houses the motor.

The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:12 pm

More please. from all participants. Can´t wait to see the live steam Version progressing ... and pics of the electric loco would of course be delightful.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:40 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:59312 wrote:Brillient, looks slightly like neptune from the far tottering railway...
Neptune was in fact a 4-6-2 built by Harry Barlow to Emett's design. It was internal combustion, tender driven and carried passengers at the Festival of Britain 1951. Hero was never built and only existed as a cartoon by Rowland Emett.

This is the original Emett drawing which the loco was built from.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:49 pm

At the recent Rowland Emett Society Convention held in Birmingham, the grand-daughter of Harry Barlow brought along the original brass name letters, 'Neptune' which are still in her collection (pair). Nothing else is known to remain of the locos built for the Festival Railway

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:23 am

That's awesome Peter thanks for sharing. Have you found any ride issues with the single axle arrangement? Also how did you do that spark arrestor? Ive got a model trumpet for the chimney cap!

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:34 am

Love this build, although only just catching on. :)

What sort of firing are you going to use? I can't help thinking that a small, short combustion chamber would be of some help? I don't think it would take away its original looks too much, but would help with maintaining steam.
YouTube ChannelImage

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:41 am

ace:106518 wrote:Love this build, although only just catching on. :)

What sort of firing are you going to use? I can't help thinking that a small, short combustion chamber would be of some help? I don't think it would take away its original looks too much, but would help with maintaining steam.
Hi Ace, just a two or three wick burner, with an under slung meths tank on the tender. To be honest there's no room for one, the loco is literally tiny, the chassis, splashers and low slung boiler make up for it. I'll take a photo of it with a mamod loco and you'll see what I mean.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:41 am

ace:106518 wrote:
What sort of firing are you going to use?

My guess is that this refers to your build, Bessytractor!. Firing my plasticard locos would surely end in disaster and no forward movement at all!!!!! (sorry Ace... couldn't resist)

In answer to your question about staying on the track..... it does so very well. There is some interesting wobble from side to side but never any indication it wants to fall off. The tender guides it into the curves and hasn't failed once.
Spark arrestor is from a craft shop and is designed for DIY jewellery making. I find a lot of useful parts from this source

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:43 am

Thanks Peter I shall hunt about!

I can't help but think a hanging basket should be in the cab......

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:51 am

bessytractor:106530 wrote:Thanks Peter I shall hunt about!

I can't help but think a hanging basket should be in the cab......
I do have a hanging (working) lantern in the cab of a slightly curious loco, which makes it fun to watch as it wobbles around the track. I found it on a dollhouse website, and it runs off a battery, so no worries about wires or similar.

Haven´t got round to a hanging basket yet, but I do have some which I bought from the ex Perfect World range. Have to be a big cab though.

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:11 am

bessytractor:106528 wrote:I'll take a photo of it with a mamod loco and you'll see what I mean.
Thanks, I look forward to that. :)
YouTube ChannelImage

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:37 pm

ace:106582 wrote:
bessytractor:106528 wrote:I'll take a photo of it with a mamod loco and you'll see what I mean.
Thanks, I look forward to that. :)
as promised!  Its a bit smaller than your average Mamod, but quite a bit taller, as befits its origins! Smokebox parts are on order at the laser cutters.

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:33 pm

i now really want one of these locos. looks really interesting, and its really well made
'Professional Bodge artist '

steam4ian
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by steam4ian » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:53 pm

You may find this clip which includes the Far Tottering Railway interesting.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/film ... ge_fil.htm
Ian

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:40 pm

Maple:107451 wrote:i now really want one of these locos. looks really interesting, and its really well made
You are too kind lol. Ask me nicely and I might make the files available to people.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:20 am

bessytractor:107460 wrote:
Maple:107451 wrote:i now really want one of these locos. looks really interesting, and its really well made
You are too kind lol. Ask me nicely and I might make the files available to people.
Pretty please :D