minor seasonal embuggerances

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Big Jim

minor seasonal embuggerances

Post by Big Jim » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:33 am

Now I am not talking about serious problems here. But has anyone been caught up with one of those minor niggles that you could really do without two days before Xmas.

I only ask as I have been in work since six this morning trying to sort out a knackered propshaft on my land rover that failed with no warning last night. Not a bad job but i could have done without it today.

pskipper
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pskipper » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:20 am

Finding out that the 'solid' Wolseley we bought as our daily car has bodged sills is taking all my spare time at the moment, building points is apparently a lower priority welding and panel beating so that we have a car!

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:16 pm

I sold a steamie (Roundhouse Charles) leaving the D.L.R. with just one Tom Rolt steam loco. The cash is getting eaten! Car Insurance tyres and tax. WAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! Winters are tough.

Mind you the old shelf railway, in the garage, is getting used and with visitors descending from Up country, the steam will billow! and therefore smiles follow. Chuffed to have the cheer a loco can bring, amongst life's woes!

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:30 pm

With the Landy, couldn't you take the defective prop shaft out and lock the central diff! At least then you'd be mobile (if only in 2 wheel drive.........)
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:54 pm

Ah a man who knows his Land Rovers.
Yes in theory I could, however the old girl is currently running as 2wd only due to the failure of one of the Fairey freewheeling hubs (in unlock). So it had to be a new spicer joint in quick time.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:54 am

My first car was a series one Landy. 1954 88 inch with 54 miles on it ex MOD demo for air transportation which was a no no. (the Light weight was developed after my one was trailed) then crated. I brought the bits for £800 and was luckily working at Rolls Royce (cars) we assembled it and I drove it around for about 8 months. Then a guy flashed me down and offered me £1500 I took the offer as I heard stories of adults loosing money on cars. It had the original paint all over on the chassis and was well new as the wiring was replaced and all rubber renewed. We saw it for £4000 in a Land Rover Mag about 3 months later! I was only 17. I had a go in the snow and enjoyed it so good memories.

I brought a rotten MGBGT next, what a come down. Took 3 years and 5K to rebuild it and my brother brought it. He trashed it in a year. By then I was flying and set too to build a plane. Another story.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:42 pm

Sounds like you might be a Derby lad Steamie1 ;)
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:48 pm

Spin off from Jack Barkleys. Royce service and Engineering. They are still going in Betchworth nr. Reigate as far as I know. Anyway we all jumped around in brown suits worked in a very clean garage and new some very odd customers of which only one or two were happy. I would hate to be very wealthy as the happiness curve drops off. Funny but totally skint is hard and totally loaded is hard. I did hear of a survey that said 25k income brings the balance.
I don't do the lottery but if I did, having fun giving it away would be the way for me.
Were you a Derby lad SVL?
Did you get the story about Berkley lads driving the Queen's car through steel roller doors back in the day?