Smokey Sophie - A Roundhouse/Riverdale Amy coal fire build

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:10 pm

The copper chimney cap is just to match my SL, however, I do have a OO scale GWR Pannier tank with the same set up ;)

If you have always wanted a pop safety valve for your RH loco Polly Engineering can supply these with the correct thread 5/16" x 32ME although you have to calibrate it yourself.

How or where can I get these calibrated properly?

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:48 am

tom_tom_go:98714 wrote: How or where can I get these calibrated properly?
You normally set them up on the loco, using the pressure gauge as a reference. The safety valve should start to open a couple of psi below the nominal blowoff pressure and be fully open when working pressure is reached.

On a coal fired loco. the pressure shouldn't go any higher than 10% above nominal with a good fire and the blower on full. Known as an accumulation test, it's basically to make sure the valve opening is big enough to get rid of the excess steam.

These little pressure gauges are usually accurate around the middle of their range (needle vertical), but if you aren't sure, fit the new pressure gauge to your Silver Lady and see if the gauge shows 40psi when the safety lifts. Then use it to set the safety on the new loco.

I tested my pressure gauges using my boiler testing rig, which is why I'm confident they work. Kozo Hiraoka has a gauge testing rig in one of his books that uses weights to check the gauge reading and I've been thinking of making one up (when I find my 'Round Tuit').

Anyone that can test garden scale boilers can check the pressure gauge for you and I imagine would help set up the safety valve if needed.

Graeme

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:08 pm

I know it's been a while, so here is the latest.

I didn't get on the with the pop safety valve, it just kept letting off steam constantly.  I have gone back to the RH one and adjusted it.  With experience of firing the loco, you just need to watch the pressure gauge and as soon as it starts getting a bit high you open the coal door to cool the fire.  I have found I am getting much longer runs now as not wasting water (steam) through the safety valve.

Riverdale boilers really are easy to fire.  I even managed last weekend to run it with my gas SL at the same time with my step daughter in charge.  Even after two hours the lubricator on the Riverdale had plently of oil left.

The body is on it's way from Rhos Helgy works where Tony has done a fantastic job building, painting and doing something clever with the roof although I will need to have it in the metal to show you all properly.

Here are some quick shots of it from his workshop though (quality is poor as it was raining outside:

Last edited by tom_tom_go on Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:10 pm

Test fitting the body:

Tony did a great job getting the roof to fit with magnets and filling all the holes that are normally used to fit the RH hinge and battery holder:

The paint finish will soon loose it's matt appearance after a few steam runs.

btiratsoo
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by btiratsoo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:55 pm

Cracking loco Tom. Inspiration as ever.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:07 pm

I believe I have now got all the R/C workings sorted:

The dome needs painting I think to the same colour as the body and the RH safety valve is not up to the job required of the Riverdale boiler pressure of 58 Psi, it wastes steam.

I tried a pop safety valve before but could not get it to work properly (could of just been the quality of the product) so Tony has recommended John Shawe which Santa might bring me for Christmas ;) These also fit the RH safety valve bonnet which is a bonus.

Tony has given me great free advice regarding the set up of this loco so I cannot thank him enough. If you need any work done on your locos/stock he really is the guy to contact, proper job :)

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:31 pm

Looking very neat. Is the pressure gauge reading 10psi or is it a camera trick ?
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:10 pm

DLRdan:105960 wrote:Is the pressure gauge reading 10psi or is it a camera trick ?
No, it had no pressure in it after the air tests for the whistle (although I did check after your comment) ;)

Dome is painted now and drying so onward with the buffer beams and bolting it altogether, about time!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:01 pm

Front buffer beam shortened (as on my SL) with modified Accucraft chopper:

The painted dome looks much better.

I think the smoke box dart needs painting, looks far too clean :)

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:48 pm

Looking great Tom.

We have a double bonus for aspiring coal fired owners like myself at Peterborough next month. A demonstration by Joep Janssen of Riverdale followed by Tag Gorton's demonstration.

Eagerly looking forward to these demonstrations. My Riverdale Elke boiler kit is pencilled in for delivery in January 2016.

Chris Cairns

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:41 am

I can remember waiting for my boiler :)

The new manual damper lever Riverdale has released is a much better design (click on the 'NEW' tab on their site) although I have set mine up for R/C as with the rest of the loco.

I would like an Irene :twisted:

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:33 pm

tom_tom_go wrote:I can remember waiting for my boiler
My waiting time has just got a lot shorter. Due to a cancellation my Elke order was next on the list so picking it up at the Peterborough show now. There goes my Garden Railway budget for this year!

Chris Cairns

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:34 pm

Exciting stuff :D

Looking forward to seeing your build and If I can help let me know.

DKLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DKLR » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:46 pm

tom_tom_go:84172 wrote:So back on topic after my thread was hijacked ;)

I always thought I would only ever have just one live steamer, how wrong was I :)

Molly (the cat) looks annoyed because I sold the diesel chassis that was meant to have her name on it to help fund this coal fired project.
Looking forward to following this project, something I've thought about, but, like you, I only needed one steamer and bought nearly every enhancement for my Bertie. ha! I'm now awaiting delivery from Locoworks of my new Lady Anne. I see you have an Acucraft coupling on the front of yours, is that the Swiftsixteen one?
When in doubt, brew up.
www.dunkittandknibble-lr.com

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:57 pm

DKLR:109437 wrote: I see you have an Acucraft coupling on the front of yours, is that the Swiftsixteen one?
I'll take that as a compliment as my attempt to modify the Accucraft version looks like the SwiftSixteen one ;)

DKLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DKLR » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:28 pm

tom_tom_go:109600 wrote:
DKLR:109437 wrote: I see you have an Acucraft coupling on the front of yours, is that the Swiftsixteen one?
I'll take that as a compliment as my attempt to modify the Accucraft version looks like the SwiftSixteen one ;)
Compliment duly earned, looks good. I'm just starting to experiment with chopper couplings to avoid fiddling with chains when my Lady Anne arrives.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:59 pm

Narrow Planet had a discount on their site a while back so I ordered a set of name and works plates for my Riverdale loco.

Test fitting this evening:

The works plate is brass and the name plate is nickel silver. I thought the works plate was going to be nickel as well, however, I like the fact they are two different colours now I have seen them on the loco (below photo shows the difference brass/nickel)

dizzysteamer
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by dizzysteamer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:01 am

What a lovely thread well done indeed an inspiration for both myself and my partner :D

dizzysteamer :)
Amateur engineer,  frustrated would be locomotive driver😊

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:56 pm

Glad you enjoyed reading about the loco dizzy. It is certainly cheaper to build one yourself if you have the time...

I am finally happy with the whistle and pipe work so did a short video while running in the cold (excuse the quality, as it was filmed on my phone):

You cannot beat the smell of a coal fired engine, I love it!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:09 pm

Chuff chuff chuff :)