Telephone box red

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Simon
Cleaner
Cleaner

Telephone box red

Post by Simon » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:02 am

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know what red in the humbrol, tamiya or even halfords rattle can matches telephone box red? Have a Pola one to reprint from yellow.

Thanks

Simon

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:10 am

The problem that you have is that there is no true standards for Post Office red as iI has changed over the years due to different suppliers etc.
However Hycote Paints (rattle can, available from motor factors) list XUK481 Post office van red.

The BS381c paint code for PO Red/Cherry Red is 538
The RAL code is RAL3000

I would have thought that the closest Humbrol Paint would be Insignia Red 153

The problem you have is that red is a complete pain to match and it is a very 'thin' colour, that is its final shade is very dependant on what it is being painted over.

I know the local GPO stores here in Carmarthen used to get their paint from the local paint factors who were notorious for getting things wrong.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

philipy

Re: Telephone box red

Post by philipy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:19 am

Simon:105302 wrote: Does anyone know what red in the humbrol, tamiya or even halfords rattle can matches telephone box red? Have a Pola one to reprint from yellow.
I've used "BMW Bright Red" in a rattle can. It gives a pretty much perfect match to the colour of the official Post Office pillar box models, which I assume are correct!

My can is from our local car spares place and branded "Hycote" but again I'd assume that since it is supposed to be a BMW match, the Halfords version should be the same ( and of course the actual colour does vary depending on weathering and fading).

Philip

Simon
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Simon » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:42 am

Thanks for the help, I thought there would be no firm answer but want to get it roughly right.

As you say it all depends on weathering etc. To be fair the telephone box itself won't be quite right so colour should be least of my worries ;)

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:58 am

As long as it looks right, it is right.
I have just been up to our local post box with a set of paint chips only to find that the GPO have removed it. (apparently it was in a dangerous location.)

The one in the next village is a close match to BS381c 538 on one side (out of direct sun) and almost pink on the other.

So as long as it is vaguely red it should be prototypical.

(The things you do when dangerously bored and stuck at home on Drs orders!)

I see from your info that you model Gauge 3. Do you have any pictures of your line?

If I won the lottery then a gauge 3 model of Harpenden Junction would be the way I would go. The recently announced steam model of LMS Coronation is enough to make me think about selling the wife.

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:31 pm

Being a philistine I use Hammerite Smoothrite bright red for everything thats vaguely red. I'm not recommending this course just saying its what I do because its easier and cheaper to standerdise on one make of paint for everything from houldhold chores to larger model engineering projects and the smaller 16mm stuff.
Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

Simon
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Simon » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:55 pm

Well my line is gauge 3, and I will post pics when I get a chance. It's early days and nowhere near complete! I've got a kingscale GWR 14xx on order, anything bigger won't get around my curves and telling the other half I'm spending 2.5 k on an engine is one thing but 5k..... I think it's fair to say the answer would be no. :(

Thanks again for all the help.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:03 pm

and telling the other half I'm spending 2.5 k on an engine is one thing
The simple solution is don't tell her!

This is where us freelance NG modellers have it easier than anyone modelling a prototype, we can name our locos after the wife or kids!