ip engineering gear box

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Big Jim

ip engineering gear box

Post by Big Jim » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:46 pm

I have just acquired an ip Jessica kit. It is lacking it's motor and wheels.

I see ip still do a motor and gearbox set but I am rather tempted to go down the route of bevel gears and an elliptical gear box and motor combo. What are peoples thoughts on the matter before I spend the wife's housekeeping money?

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:45 pm

Don't buy the IP Engineering one - words like "chocolate" and "teapot" come to mind! There is a motor/gearbox unit (whose name escapes me) which comes highly recommended for this use.............
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: ip engineering gear box

Post by ge_rik » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:07 pm

Big Jim:105223 wrote:I have just acquired an ip Jessica kit. It is lacking it's motor and wheels.

I see ip still do a motor and gearbox set but I am rather tempted to go down the route of bevel gears and an elliptical gear box and motor combo. What are peoples thoughts on the matter before I spend the wife's housekeeping money?
Hi Big Jim
I'm not familiar with the Jessica kit but I have built a Jessie (no longer available). Now it might be because I make excessive demands on my rolling stock but I got through two IP Engineering gearboxes and a tailor-made gearbox (which also failed) before eventually sitting everything on a USA Trains motor block. I assume this latter option is not available to you if you are modelling in SM32 v SM45.

There's an account of my build of Jessie + my trials and tribulations with her gearbox(es) on my blog
http://riksrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... my-ip.html

I've also used an MFA motor/gearbox and bevel gear combination to replace another failed IP Engineering gearbox on my kitbashed railbus - see the tail-end of this posting
http://riksrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... m-two.html

Hope there's something helpful in these

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:24 pm

The Coma motor / gearbox combination was what I was talking about!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:50 pm

Thanks every one. I think the coma motor is the way to go. With a decent sized battery pack.

The next thing to do is work out how to assemble the body without screws all over the place. I am quite temped to weld the majority together. The steel is quite thick and I have a decent mig that should be gentle enough.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!