Chassis Advice

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
daveyrd11
Cleaner
Cleaner

Chassis Advice

Post by daveyrd11 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:31 pm

Hi,

Im looking at using a commercially produced chassis kit and making my own body to fit.

I like the look of the Huston Gate Loco Works 4wd chassis, it looks like it makes up into a strong unit. Im not too bothered about haulage capacity as I only have a very little line and trains are usually no more than a few wagons.

Does anybody have any experience of these chassis? would you recommend them?
Also, does anybody know the wheelbase and wheel diameter?

Many thanks in advance,

Dave
Put that light out!

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:42 pm

I would whole-heartedly recommend the HGLW chassis in 4 wheel drive form - the one I have performs very well on Flagg Fluorspar (gratuitous plug)(soon to be seen at Warley) (end of gratuitous plug). I'd also recommend the IP EZee range, but these NEED to be four wheel drive to get round the corners on my layout. However, couple up two or three (like I do at the end of the show, when I can't be ar$ed to change the batteries) and they'll haul a decent load.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:40 pm

Make sure that when you build the chassis have no sideways movement on the chassis wheel set that has the drive cog. Also that  there is a fag packet paper gap between the worm and cog. Secure the motor so this gap is constant. Gear mesh and placement are worth getting right or the gears wear. With help some 9 year olds built the HGLW chassis at school so it is simple, but care still needed.

daveyrd11
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by daveyrd11 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:07 pm

Cheers guys, it looks like a good buy.
Does anybody have one to hand and could measure the wheelbase and wheel diameter please? I might have missed it but I couldn't find the info on the website
Put that light out!

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:29 am

Definately the HGLW. Its a fair price for an excellent product. The IP chassis is good but IMHO doesn't compare to the HGLW version. And get the 4x4 version. It all goes together very easily and accurately. Use their body kits, the steeplecab is excellent, or make your own but the chassis is an excellent product. Its one of those 'I wish i'd thought of that' products !...
Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:27 pm

The HGLW chassis is excellent (but I have to say that as I designed it). If David hasn't changed the specs it has a 54mm wheel base and the wheels are 26mm outside diameter, app. 22mm tread.

Alan P
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Alan P » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:49 pm

I agree, a superb chassis and i don't think you can beat it for the price.

daveyrd11
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by daveyrd11 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:10 pm

Thanks all for the info, looks like I'll be making an order!
Put that light out!

pskipper
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pskipper » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:35 pm

If you want a different wheel base I understand they will do custom lengths if you contact them!