questions about building in the garden

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Yoda
New User
New User

questions about building in the garden

Post by Yoda » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:05 pm

Hello,
I am thinking of building a single line around three sides of my garden, but this has raised a couple of questions

What is the minimum radius i could use?
what is the maximum gradient i could get away with?

I am thinking of using the small 4 wheeled locos from IP Engineering or HGLW.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:12 pm

Hi Yoda, and welcome.

If you are only going to run small 0-4-0 battery loco's then you can get away with set track 2ft 6" radius curves from Peco.  I would not attempt to try and curve track yourself down to this radius as it's too tight.  Gradient wise the IP/HGLW locos are light so you would need to go easy with rise/fall of your line.  I would suggest buying the locos first and then testing what they can cope with.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:27 pm

tom_tom_go:104297 wrote:If you are only going to run small 0-4-0 battery locos then you can get away with set track 2ft 6" radius curves from Peco.  
.................... and if you fit them with 2 axle drive, they will go around Faller E-train 14" radius curves - see my exhibition layout at www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html or at Elsecar next weekend!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:12 pm

hglw loco get the twin axle chassis as they pull a lot more(mine pulls 8 mamod wagons ok even on peco set track and even on my slight hill on dry track,greasy wet track is down to 6 mamod wagons, remember peco wagons arent light
I did add 50gramms of stick on wheel weights to mine plus it has 4xAA batterys powering the rc gear which adds a bit of weight and the loco has been abused a bit now pulling stuff really to heavy for it. and its sat up against the buffers flat out with both axles spinning.. 4 year old controller dont help but does show its ok..