A change from making model locomotives.

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Tony Bird
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

A change from making model locomotives.

Post by Tony Bird » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:56 pm

Hi,

A photograph of a closed Welsh Chapel taken in the early 1990's from a carriage on the Ffestiniog Railway.

Since I was a lad I have always made models of some description in 1984 I started playing with 16 mm scale garden railways having previously made 5" gauge locomotives and being involved in making 18" gauge electric trams.

By 1987 I had made a 16 mm scale demonstration layout know as Rhydypenau Light Railway during the next 18 years it was exhibited in 90 + model exhibitions both in the UK and mainland Europe. During these years scenery was added to the layout making it more of an exhibition layout. Most of the decoration and finishing of the scenery was due to the efforts of my wife. All of the buildings on the layout were based on actual structures, when the layout was sold to finance or present layout the buildings went with the layout.

The new owner of the RLR used it as a basis of a larger layout known as Westfields. Over the years we saw Westfields at various exhibitions and my wife said to its owner that if he ever sold the layout she would like to buy the Chapel. Earlier this year Westfields was put up for sale and at the Peterborough 16 mm AGM the very generous owner presented my wife with the Chapel.

Our present layout Rhydypenderyn will be at Llanfair Garden Railway show at the end of the month so we have been adapting the Chapel to fit the layout. Most of our buildings are Silhouettes varying from 1" to 3" wide. The chapel as built had only one decorated side its back being plain all our other buildings are decorated on both sides, so it was decided to alter the Chapel.

The Chapel when a few years old, the photograph is dated May 1998.

The Chapel as it is now.

Instead of texturing the back of the Chapel my wife decided to open it up.

A few seated and possibly standing model people need to be added, which will possibly be bought at Llanfair.

Regards Tony.

tuppenced
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by tuppenced » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:13 pm

Very atmospheric, Boyo.

I had an excellent holiday in a converted chapel of that style on Anglesey maybe ten years ago. It was positively luxurious and a great venue for a family party.

I slept in the vestry, which still had a few Welsh hymn books in a cupboard. On a damp summer night like last night I can still smell them.

Dafydd 1/2d

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:14 pm

Looking forward to seeing it at Llanfair.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:44 pm

Having seen it on Westfield whilst it was in Long Eaton (and out on the road) it's nice to know that it's gone home!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:41 pm

That's a really nice scenic addition to a layout and beautifully made.... however, that poor man in the front centre of the picture on top of the steps doesn't know what he has let himself in for!

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:57 am

Peter Butler:103121 wrote: however, that poor man in the front centre of the picture on top of the steps doesn't know what he has let himself in for!
...whereas the vicar, judging by the look on his face, has a very good idea indeed!

Tony Bird
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Tony Bird » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:41 am

Hi Andrew & Peter,

It would be good to meet both of you and any other members of the forum at Llanfair or anywhere else come to that.

We are off to drink beer and play trains at the Talylyn until Monday.

Regards Tony.