CLR footbridge

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

CLR footbridge

Post by andymctractor » Sun May 11, 2014 6:34 pm

I'm designing this model as I go along from bits of aluminium strip from a previously unmade project. I bought a Draper rivetting tool and a range of aluminium rivets some time ago and didn't get on with them. I seem to have got used to them now but they do have their limitations.
I appreciate that UK narrow gauge railways didn't have many footbridges at stations but this bridge is supposed to be the sort of bridge that carries a footpath or a bridleway over the railway rather than get passengers from one platform to another. It's really an excuse to have something for the trains to run under.
From the design perspective I thought the most important factor is the height of the underside so I constructed two trellis style bents a cm taller that the highest I though I would need. These bents are the very poor cousins of some superb examples used on US layouts but they will look ok once finished I'm sure.
Here are a couple of photos.

You can see here that I haven't considered yet how the 1:19 scale footpassengers and horses will get to either end of the bridge but I'll think of something.

In this photo the right hand and the centre track are the passenger lines at Crowfoot Station while the left hand track is the goods passing loop. This location is well clear of the platforms so there will not need to be any steps down to track level except perhaps for maintenance chappies who will have to make do with a vertical ladder.
This project will probably have to wait until the cold weather modelling season begins and will be put away for our 16mm NGM Ass. Open Day on 18th May but I may get it out for others to make some suggestions.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun May 11, 2014 8:20 pm

Like it. I´m something of a footbridge fan, even though as you point out, they´re not so common on the NG :roll: How are yoúr passengers going to get up there?

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sun May 11, 2014 11:21 pm

kandnwlr:100544 wrote:Like it. I´m something of a footbridge fan, even though as you point out, they´re not so common on the NG  :roll:  How are yoúr passengers going to get up there?
That has not been decided but I may build up the scenery at each end to keep the path over the bridge as level as possible. One side is towards the concrete base of the boundary fence but the other side is a raised area around the base of a tree and could be attractively developed.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Mon May 12, 2014 7:42 am

I think it´s really going to add to the line. Looking forward to more pics.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon May 12, 2014 7:53 am

The Isle of Man Railway had a wooden footbridge at St John's built about 1887, and demolished c.1942. It was always a bit of a joke as with the platforms being only about 9 inches above rail level folks used to take the easy route unless they were purposefully herded by IMR employees.

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Tue May 13, 2014 11:29 pm

very good I like it too

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue May 13, 2014 11:44 pm

I'll have to go and check, but I'm fairly certain there's a footbridge over the Golden Valley Light Railway at the Midland Railway Centre, but this is to take a footpath over the line.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Wed May 14, 2014 11:10 pm

Hi,
I did do a little more work on the bridge. I had run out of rivets but ordered some online about 4.30 pm one afternoon and while I opted for the cheaper standard mail they were with me before lunch time the next day. I was so surprised I was encouraged to do a bit more work before stowing the project for a while.
You can see I've added the two out outside supports and started to build up the bank on the side against the neighbours fence.

I hate to upset the footbridge enthusiasts but this does looks more like one of those long industrial conveyor belt structures seen around coal mines etc. but it will probably remain a footbridge.
Regards
Andy McMahon

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed May 14, 2014 11:51 pm

With not too much extra work it could become a canal aquaduct and an excuse to build a narrow boat and basin.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:57 pm

Yes, I was thinking aqueduct too. Either way it looks quite at home at that location.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu May 15, 2014 12:09 pm

I like that! It's made me think that perhaps a Tan-y-Bwlch style footbridge may be required at one of my stations at some point, thanks for the inspiation!

Andrew.

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:33 pm

Done a lot more to the footbridge.  I've still got the scenic work to do on both ends of the bridge.  Not yet decided how the punters are going to get onto the bridge but I'm sure I'll think of something.  
I may put some smoke guards under the bridge over each track.  

This photo makes the bents look bent. :shock: I will give them a tweek but they do look ok from normal viewing angle and distance.

Apologies for the leaves.  My trees are still very confused with the seasons.
Regards
Andy McMahon

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:46 pm

Adding to what has been said about footbridges over narrow gauge lines, what about this one?

http://www.penmorfa.com/Slate/padarn%20footbridge1.jpg
Regards
Andy McMahon

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:04 pm

............... and there's now one over the Golden Valley Railway at the Midland Railway - Butterley...............
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:14 pm

I´ve got two on the K&NWLR .... :D But technically they don´t count as accessories on real heritage lines ... :?