Speaking out against quirky figures

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:42 am

The degree of realism one pursues is very much in the YMMV category. Personally, I do not like anything too cartoonish, but a bit quirky will get through.

In some respects my philosophy with 1:20 is not a lot different to that with 1:76. Selective compression is needed to fit the space available, trains are shortened somewhat to match, and the general idea is to convey the spirit of the prototype rather than get into a p***ing contest over the number of bricks or rivets. That way it looks "real" - or at least plausible - but stays fun.

I think one does have to set some rules. The major consideration for me is that I like to operate a railway, rather than exhibit fine scale models. Provided things look basically right, I am not too fussy about detail - basically things are a bit Triang era ''OO" when it comes to detail. A bit like Weland Wagner's (in)famous 1950s production of Parsifal I like to leave the imagination with a little work to do.

Cheers,
Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:28 am

IrishPeter:101683 wrote:The degree of realism one pursues is very much in the YMMV category.  Personally, I do not like anything too cartoonish, but a bit quirky will get through.  

In some respects my philosophy with 1:20 is not a lot different to that with 1:76.  Selective compression is needed to fit the space available, trains are shortened somewhat to match, and the general idea is to convey the spirit of the prototype rather than get into a p***ing contest over the number of bricks or rivets.  That way it looks "real" - or at least plausible - but stays fun.

I think one does have to set some rules.  The major consideration for me is that I like to operate a railway, rather than exhibit fine scale models.  Provided things look basically right, I am not too fussy about detail - basically things are a bit Triang era ''OO" when it comes to detail.  A bit like Weland Wagner's (in)famous 1950s production of Parsifal I like to leave the imagination with a little work to do.

Cheers,
Peter in AZ

Just wondering if there´s any scenery at all on your line (see Wieland Wagner ....) :shock: But I believe in operating a railway too, but ´teewn the Wars, rather than 1951, though I´ve yet to develop a Wagnerian pyschological schema for the whole thing ...

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:47 pm

When it comes to scenery I let what was already there do the work. Most of the garden to this house is a low ridge covered with pine trees, so trying to manipulate that too much was out of the question. The lower half of the railway runs along a ledge half-built and half "found" along the lower edge of the ridge. The upper, and less scenic half of the railway is a straightforward dash along the garden path.

I leave psychology to the birds, though I am developing a neurosis about the derailment abilities of certain types of pine needle. ;)

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:07 pm

IrishPeter:101694 wrote:When it comes to scenery I let what was already there do the work.  Most of the garden to this house is a low ridge covered with pine trees, so trying to manipulate that too much was out of the question.  The lower half of the railway runs along a ledge half-built and half "found" along the lower edge of the ridge.  The upper, and less scenic half of the railway is a straightforward dash along the garden path.

I leave psychology to the birds, though I am developing a neurosis about the derailment abilities of certain types of pine needle.  ;)

Peter in AZ
That´s not neurosis, but panpsychism, where the belief is that inanimate objects have a life of their own. Mostly found in early stages of childhood, and what garden railwayman isn´t still there? But it´s now mainstream and offers a solution to the otherwise intractible mind-body problem. Don´t knock it. It works for the K&NWLR, as last night a hammer blow to one part of the line caused something else to fall off on the other side of the cellar. It´s going to be difficult to fill out the insurance form though, as they don´t have a box to tick for "panpsychism".

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:16 pm

[/quote]where the belief is that inanimate objects have a life of their own

You mean that they don't

I drive a 1960's Landrover and a 1980's Jag and believe me they do have a life of their own. :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:31 am

And don´t get me started on keeping Regner vertical boiler locos lit. If that´s not proof, I don´t know what is.