Jackson's Miniatures 'Signal Cabin'

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
clive_t
Cleaner
Cleaner

Jackson's Miniatures 'Signal Cabin'

Post by clive_t » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:49 am

Hi all

One of my recent mini-projects was to build and generally 'tart up' a Jackson's Miniatures signal cabin. As you can probably see for yourself from their website, the building kits are pretty simple, and are made from 'exterior grade' mdf - although it is recommended that additional waterproofing be applied if the building is to remain outside in our lovely British weather...

The windows and doors are provided, and are very well moulded with crisp detail. The walls however are devoid of any 'relief' or texture, so it's really down to your own imagination as to how you make it look - brick, wood, or stucco or whatever takes your fancy really. I went for the 'delapidated ship-lap timber clad' look, as befitting a somewhat sleepy terminus with a minimalist approach to facilities!

Here's how it looked once built:

The walls are clad with strips of thin wood veneer, as used in marquetry/parquetry/whatever it's called. The roof is covered with a small amount of roofing felt which was salvaged, ironically, from an old shed dismantled before!

The building was coated with thinned wood preserver, and painted. It was then mounted on a 'brick' plinth made from Milliput:

A signal box interior detailing kit was obtained from Back2Bay6, as well as a Preiser figure for a signalman:

Cheers

Clive

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:50 pm

Thats looking great.

Even nice interior detail

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:40 pm

That's really lovely.

Chris
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Chris » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:04 pm

Fantastic, well done.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:12 pm

Fantastic, I shall have to find a signal cabin for my line, so I may give one of those a try.

clive_t
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by clive_t » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:28 pm

Thanks all, for your kind comments. I should have added that:

The guttering was some semicircular section plastic rodding (plastruct I think) the downpipes were plastic straws (the bendy end!)

The corner 'planking' is the same as that of the wall cladding on the interior - coffee stirrers. The floor-boards are ice-lolly sticks. The steps leading up to the doorway originated from a Pola kit (I think it was the small 'Shell' fuel depot kit)

Oh, and it has interior lighting mounted on the underside of the (removable) roof, courtesy of a battery-powered down-light - as this regrettably poor photo attempts to show!

Cheers

Clive

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:14 pm

thats looks great mate