Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:56 pm

brilliant yet again well done

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Fri May 02, 2014 8:29 pm

SLRmidge:99844 wrote:Lying down on the job, Isles!
You can talk. It is obvious from the state of your railway that you have been lying down on the job for the past 8 years. However, I had concluded my inspection and was therefore utilising my own free time. I recommend that you use your free time to rescue your railway from its own disaster rather then hiring itinerant lawyers and moaning.
I am now entering my final weekend in the North West Area. On Sunday, I will finally be visiting the very well known Pine Tree Light Railway, at its busiest time of year as well, the gala event "PTLR fest". I am extremely apprehensive, as the ambitious timetable gives much potential for operating incidents without very close control, which I believe is sadly lacking. The ANLR will be sending two locos I believe, the Millie class "Gwydion" (which stillappears to be lacking vacuum brakes, and Lady Anne class "Urien" which has just emerged from the works after an intermediate overhaul.

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Mon May 05, 2014 8:32 pm

I have now performed the final inspection of my visit to the North West of England. This was to the Pine Tree Light Railway, during what appeared to be a very large "NWAG" steamup. This organisation has often lived up this the reputation that proceeded them with regard to very haphazard control of trains, and I was extremely apprehensive going into this event. However, it must be said that there was not a single reportable incident, even with SLR midge present. The PTLR itself proved to be a sound railway.
I first arrived at the main hub of the railway, Pine Tree Road. Here, there was a station of slightly shabby exterior condition. The state of the passengers was somewhat shocking, but obviously not a fault of the railway, although at the time I wasn't sure. Later, the local pub serving the infamous local brew "Midgley's Special Disaster" was found to be the cause.

My attempt to find the Station Master was unfortunately futile, (it is believed that he was also in the pub) but several assistants were present on the platform, which was very busy with passengers because of the special event.
The goods facilities and cattle dock looked disused, and the cows looked like they hadn't moved for a while. All trains that were sighted were passenger trains.
I moved on to Sleighton Heathers, a small request stop where a little used branch to Conishead diverges. Although there was supposed to be a passenger service to Conishead, no trains were sighted going there, and the only passengers waiting to go there had no head.... Most odd.
The signal box looked uncared for, and some of the levers were obviously broken. However, the point was obviously locally controlled anyway. Signal where present looked to be there just for show. Standard garden railway then *sigh*
Beyond Sleighton Heathers, the line entered this tunnel, which had greatly limited clearance, but no obvious signage, despite the fact people could walk in from a nearby road (or get mis-directed in by errant sat navs) It is understood that there have also been strange incidents on this crossing, from steam rollers hitting railcars deliberately to trains crossing on the road, and a land rover crossing on the rails....
Coppermill Junction is the last station, here a short branch to somewhere called "The Shed" diverges. The station seems busy despite no local amenities at all.
The Station Master was far too happy and talkative for my liking.
Here, I encountered a loco from the Silverdale Light Railway (North) and I decided that it was my duty to stop the loco from running, having seen the trouble caused on other lines.
However, Midge still tried to depart. Luckily my legs held firm, although it was rather painful. The loco was derailed, but then a big hand took me away and re-railed the loco, which then promptly failed with flat batteries (not sure how this happens on a steam loco)
Coppermill is also where the great "Jubilee Bridge" begins. After my encounter with the tall bridge on the Wigfa and Llanrwst Railway, I decided not to walk over this one. The major failing of an otherwise splendid structure is the lack of parapet walls, indeed trains have been known to fall off this extremely tall structure.
Back at Pine Tree Road, I was able to observe the rest of the day, ready to investigate any accidents that happened. As I mentioned at the start, there were none!
Before departing, I had a look round Pine Tree Road sheds, full of many locos of types I have not encountered before, and I must admit I did find it all quite interesting (much to my own disappointment).
Overall, the PTLR is a well engineered line, with some dodgy operating practices, and I really recommend walking if you have vertigo. The viaduct should have a maximum speed limit of 10 mph, and trains should stop running should the wind speed exceed 30mph. Signage needs to be improved, and the chief engineer (I believe he goes by the name "Cecil") should stop running trains to bad operating practices just for some cheap laughs on a Youtube video.
Since my time here is drawing to an end, I would grudgingly like to thank the Afonglas and Nant Llywyd Railway for looking after me for the past 4 1/2 months, and also thanks to the railways I visited to allow me to inspect them (apart from the SLR North, who should be avoided by everyone at all costs). I believe that I am next off to Lincolnshire, and the Lindsay Joint system. I hope I should be as well looked after there!

PeachBottom
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by PeachBottom » Mon May 05, 2014 8:37 pm

Eeeep!
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

"Peachbottom was reading over my shoulder and has gone a funny colour, and is also in the kitchen where the Very Sharp Objects live" ~TommyDodd

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Wed May 07, 2014 8:39 pm

As it happens, I had one final journey to make before leaving the North West Area, one that the Manager of the Afonglas and Nant Llywyd Railway had told me about. He decided that my exploration of North West lines should end where it started, and so he took me to Ravenglass for another visit to the superb Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway, and this time I managed to experience a ride on part of the line, firstly from Ravenglass to Miteside loop, and then from Murthwaite back down to Ravenglass. The train service was more intensive then when I visited in December, with two locos in steam and a diesel forming 7 round trips from Ravenglass during the day. The ANLR manager was part of a gang of 5 people greasing the fishplates, a practice I have not seen on any garden line. He seemed pleased with the days efforts, over half a mile of track fishplates greased.
Having seen the signal box in December, I was able to inspect the other vital component of the R&ER signalling installation, the Quan Patent point levers and indicators. If the lever covers the red disc, this indicates that the point is set correctly for a train to proceed through at 5mph. The weights ensure that the points set back automatically.
The points themselves are somewhat bigger then I am used to.
The local wildlife is also bigger then I am used to. This one is named Thomas apparently. At least he did not try to eat me.
I then returned to my box, reappearing at another signalling installation, Murthwaite Ground frame, which controls access to a siding.
These are pieces of equipment that most Garden Railway Managers need to be introduced to. Note that the lever to remove the facing point lock is itself locked by a padlock.
I was then left out of my box to enjoy the journey back to Ravenglass. Unfortunately, one of the colleagues of the ANLR manager decided to be a bit silly...
I did not realise that I was wearing the Killer Bunny's anti gravity suit.
It must be said that the scenery was absolutely delightful.
This is the loco that I rode behind, named "River Irt". Unfortunately I did not get a chance to inspect it at close quarters.
So it is that I leave this beautiful part of the country, where the stand out railway is the one that is really big (to me anyway). I understand that the manager of the ANLR will be in contact with the managers of the Lindsay Joint Railways to organise my onward transportation.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed May 07, 2014 8:42 pm

Amazingly upbeat and positive report. Can´t wait for the next one :?

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue May 13, 2014 8:36 pm

All being well, Victor Isle will be leaving the Afonglas and Nant Llywyd Railway on Thursday, to arrive in plenty of time for Summer Solstice at the Lindsay Joint Railway system. I hope that I have demonstrated to the membership just what can be achieved with this project just by taking a few photos, and taking a bit of time to write something imaginative on this topic.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Snailrail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Snailrail » Tue May 13, 2014 9:42 pm

You certainly have, it's been very entertaining. Thanks for your efforts.

Brian

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue May 13, 2014 9:50 pm

With more than 28000 views there is obviously some interest in the subject!
Now the trend has been revitalised perhaps more participants will continue in similar ways?
We hope!!!!!
Well done for your reports.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Tue May 13, 2014 11:21 pm

I agree with peter well done too all and lets carry on the good work

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed May 14, 2014 9:09 am

I've added my name to Victor's list thanks to being inspired by his latest inspections. Worryingly I now find myself appraising developments (or lack of) on my line in "victorspeak"...

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:09 pm

I am not even going to invite him just yet (maybe once my line is more compleate)as my line is out and back with just a passing loop no signals and point control..

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu May 15, 2014 8:35 pm

Victor Isle has now left the Afonglas and Nant Llywyd Railway, and is now in transit to Lincolnshire, and the Lindsay Joint Railways Administration. I await his future reports with great interest!
"What the hell is that?"

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Fri May 16, 2014 8:36 pm

I've been back in my box, and its suddenly become extremely uncomfortable in here. The joys of travel by post, there really must be a better solution.

PeachBottom
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by PeachBottom » Sat May 17, 2014 11:28 am

Victor has arrived! I have let him out of his box to enjoy some of the Sunshine today....

"Peachbottom was reading over my shoulder and has gone a funny colour, and is also in the kitchen where the Very Sharp Objects live" ~TommyDodd

PeachBottom
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by PeachBottom » Sat May 17, 2014 12:47 pm

Oh dear, he's already made a friend....

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sat May 17, 2014 7:52 pm

Is that Victor loafing about in a garden hammock with a female of dubious character? What next...

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sat May 17, 2014 8:19 pm

I see he is already finding life to be very different to that on the ANLR (where he was usually hanging around with a rabbit of very dubious character....) I wonder if SLR Midge's layers have managed to keep tabs on him?
"What the hell is that?"

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Sat May 17, 2014 8:57 pm

invicta280:100728 wrote: with a female of dubious character? What next...
That "dubious character" is an authentic German doll, recruited by Peachbottom as crew for The Freudentalbahn (the LJR's Austrian alter ego) RH Ziller "Rotkopf Madchen". Both Victor and I can confirm (as a result of a gust during today's photo session) that her costume is authentic and respectably modest all the way down.
Well, now we know the buffer-stops work! (Heard at 2013 "Longest Day" solstice steamup)

PeachBottom
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by PeachBottom » Sat May 17, 2014 9:01 pm

You forgot the umlaut. Mädchen.