Easter Monday at Butterley

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Easter Monday at Butterley

Post by laurence703 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:45 pm

Easter Monday was spent at Butterley. My theme for the day was Bowaters and I think I nailed it!

Superior and Leader were the locos of choice for me. This being Leader's first steaming in my ownership.

Leader, Soon to be named Excelsior and suitably Bowaterised, ran rather well! I swapped the locos over after each run.

Doug was also in attendance with Cadno and Swordbreaker.

Boxy also came along for a run! Dunna dunna dunna dunna dunna dunna dunna dunna BOX CAB!!!!

No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:56 pm

Nice photos, the Bowaters train looks excellent. The Leader formerly belonged to Barnacle Bay Charlie and was named Petteril (as his first reliable loco before it inevitably went on ebay....), it is good to see this loco in safe hands.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:36 am

Ah, the pictures work then! :P

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:30 am

I love the Bowaters train - an interesting and refreshingly different choice of prototype :)

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:04 am

Yeah, for what was a massive system very few people actually model it which is surprising really.

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:31 pm

Love your Superior, will do that to mine one day. I could do with a proper set of buffers for it. You've done a good job on the rolling stock. They have some interesting hoppers up there.

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:36 pm

I'd love to take credit for the stock but I can't. The two hoppers and the coach came from eBay and the pulp wagon frames were built by resurgam on here and the bogies are whitegates... Only thing I did was add the decking! Superior is a great runner, I can set it and leave it and it'll quite happily pootle along for 45mins easily.

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:51 pm

well done on finding that stock, just aswell I wasn't doing a bowaters search that week. I do have some of the really nice resin pulp wagon kits to make, which should have been built by now but you know how things go. I fancy making a couple like your slatted one as they have both kind. From then onwards it should be easy to make a coach as they are very basic. I would like to see some more pics of the hoppers please.

Are you going to repaint your Leader, green or red?

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:53 pm

Leader will become Excelsior and will go green to match Superior.

Only other photo I have of them really. Its too dark to get a decent one now :/

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat May 03, 2014 6:50 pm

Were you aware that the Bowaters bogie stock was built at the Butterley Co's Codnor Park Ironworks, around 2 miles east of Butterley?
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat May 03, 2014 10:44 pm

I never knew that Brian! I had assumed they only built standard gauge stuff.

I ought to be able to remember the works but I can't. Do you know how big it was or the dates between which it was in production?

The abutments of the bridge over the Erewash Valley line which led to the works (and beyond!) are still known as 'the Butterley Bridge' on Network Rail.
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sun May 04, 2014 11:39 pm

Yup!

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sun May 04, 2014 11:51 pm

Soar Valley Light:100272 wrote:I ought to be able to remember the works but I can't. Do you know how big it was or the dates between which it was in production?
I'm afraid not - it had all gone by the time I moved here in 1977 ("here" being Golden Valley, one field away from the Midland line.........)
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon May 05, 2014 6:46 pm

I remember your cottages well Brian. You must have been one of the first to move in after they were restored. It's a shame the Newlands Inn is in such a state, I remember some very nice lunch time ham salad cobs consumed in there when I was track patrolling (and nipping into a pub for lunch wasn't against the law!)

Is anything left of the crossing gate posts where the Butterley company line used to cross where your road meets Golden valley hill. I know it was a standard gauge line but it had a lot of the charm of a NG line. Probably why the GVLR looks so good running along it further up. I don't remember that section being open but can vaguely remember track still being down at Ironville where it crossed the road to Codnor Park station.
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Mon May 05, 2014 11:26 pm

We WERE the first to move back in - had the Duchess of Devonshire to visit when the Official Opening was held.............. The crossing gates amd SG track was long gone, but it's nice that the GVLR trackbed off site, to the point where Newlands Inn-bound trains take a wigglr onto the new formation, are actually running on the oldest piece of railway infrastructure on site, as it pre-dates all the MR works.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html