16mm scale Jenbach JW15 loco

Place links to files you have found on ThingiVerse or elsewhere on the web which are appropriate or useful to Garden Railways
philipy

Re: 16mm scale Jenbach JW15 loco

Post by philipy » Sat May 22, 2021 8:39 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Fri May 21, 2021 3:07 pm The running of it is not that brilliant either even with the same motor I think that Steve got, it keeps on moving slightly forward, therefore binding and jamming..
In addition to Rik and Steve's comments, I saw this bit earlier and wasn't 100% sure what you meant but you seem to be saying that the motor is moving within the chassis? In which case, fixing it in position has to be the first thing I'd try. FWIW I had a similar problem with my Wickham Trolley because there is only about 1mm clearance between motor and worm gear and I had to put a second pair of screws through the chassis into the motor mount to lock it.

I also wonder if the heat warping of the body hasn't also affected the chassis, perhaps by twisting it slightly as you tighten the screws? Does it still misbehave with the body off?
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat May 22, 2021 9:17 am

-steves- wrote: ↑Sat May 22, 2021 8:20 am Not sure how this can be binding or what on?

Did you use the 12v motor? Yes I did Steve.

What voltage are you running it on? 9v

Did you cut out all the areas above the worm drives? They weren't there after printing Steve

Have you dropped some cyno down the sides of the motor after ensuring the motor wasn't too close to the axle gears? You can use packing to make it higher if necessary or sand it out to make it lower. Haven't glued the motor Steve...

Did you make sure the axles turned freely before gluing the bushes in? Haven't glued them yet either.

Did you ensure no cyno got inside the bushes? No, has above Steve

Did the axles turn freely after gluing the bushes in? Haven't glued them yet also Steve

That's all I can think of to help out as it's such a simple chassis design. There really isn't much this can bind on. :thumbup:
Hi Steve,

Thanks for all those replies. I have answered your questions like that, it was easier for me. The drive gear is hitting the body floor when it starts up, so I really think I need to glue the motor to the chassis don't I, silly me...... :roll:

I am also thinking of putting some small metal wheels on, so I haven't glued the axles or the bush's for that reason. I am going to try all those things later mate and report back to with a video when this blooming rain decides to stop for a few hours....

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat May 22, 2021 9:24 am

philipy wrote: ↑Sat May 22, 2021 8:39 am
FWLR wrote: ↑Fri May 21, 2021 3:07 pm The running of it is not that brilliant either even with the same motor I think that Steve got, it keeps on moving slightly forward, therefore binding and jamming..
In addition to Rik and Steve's comments, I saw this bit earlier and wasn't 100% sure what you meant but you seem to be saying that the motor is moving within the chassis? In which case, fixing it in position has to be the first thing I'd try. FWIW I had a similar problem with my Wickham Trolley because there is only about 1mm clearance between motor and worm gear and I had to put a second pair of screws through the chassis into the motor mount to lock it.

I also wonder if the heat warping of the body hasn't also affected the chassis, perhaps by twisting it slightly as you tighten the screws? Does it still misbehave with the body off?

Hi Phillip,

The motor is moving within the chassis you are correct in thinking that mate. I haven't glued it yet, my fault entirely... :roll:

The body doesn't have any effect on the chassis Phillip, it's a very tight squeeze inside the body, that's why you can probably see the body lifting ever so slightly on the photo. It really doesn't detract from the running or the looks of the little loco, in some ways it makes it look like it's had one heck of a working life.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sat May 22, 2021 9:49 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Sat May 22, 2021 9:17 am
Hi Steve,

Thanks for all those replies. I have answered your questions like that, it was easier for me. The drive gear is hitting the body floor when it starts up, so I really think I need to glue the motor to the chassis don't I, silly me...... :roll:

I am also thinking of putting some small metal wheels on, so I haven't glued the axles or the bush's for that reason. I am going to try all those things later mate and report back to with a video when this blooming rain decides to stop for a few hours....
Look forward to hearing back from you and see how things go. It is essential that the axles turn freely before and after gluing the bushes, otherwise they won't be inline with each other and will causing binding, as will a motor moving around :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu May 27, 2021 12:48 pm

Well I finally got it to run without it binding, it was a simple little cut needed in the chassis. The worm gear was hitting it a little bit therefore stopping it running. :oops: :oops:

Anyway here it is on our line, it's just a short video. Difficult holding a camera and moving points with one hand and videoing as members know when they have done it... Also near the end the sun was stopping me seeing were it was on the line.....

It has been a build I have really enjoyed and it is turned out better than expected. I used Amazon Basic's filament and have had no problems with it. No stringing, or any silliness with it at all. It came off the bed on the my Flashforge Adventure 3 very easy indeed. In fact everything I have printed with this filament has turned out well without any problems with the bed. I have only cleaned it about 3 times since I got my printer and that was with Isopropyl Alcohol. I don't have a lot left of it now and the price as shot up since COVID.....

Hope you like it. The grandson loves it, he hasn't seen it in real life yet. He lives in Stoke with his Mum & Dad.

PS
Thanks also to Steve for all your help. It was very helpful, thank you. :salute: :salute:

Also to Phillip and Rik, for you comments. They were also very helpful too. :salute:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu May 27, 2021 12:57 pm

Well done Rod, that does go well and looks good too..... you have dirtied it up nicely.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu May 27, 2021 1:04 pm

Done a great job of that Rod, looks really good and as Peter said, great weathering too. Quite an inexpensive little diesel that looks the part, I do like the extended and bent exhaust :D :thumbup: :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri May 28, 2021 8:33 am

Thanks guys.

It is inspiring to know that builders of your standings like what I have done. :thankyouyellow

It does make me what to do more and I will, unfortunately though I am not the quickest so it maybe some weeks or months before I get to finish another one.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Fri May 28, 2021 10:14 am

I had one of these printed by a fellow down in Sydney. Haven't touched it, as I've three years worth of work ahead of it in the que! Bought the 3V IP chassis for it, as I was ordering one of their Simplexes anyway. Those two will be the yard shunters for my future sugar mill. The Jenbach is really a bit small for such a task, but several were in fact built by Bundaberg Foundry under license in the 1950s, for Qld's coal mines. The first was tested as a yard shunter at one of Bundberg's sugar mills. I believe it was rather under-powered for the job, but the model will go well with my Roundhouse Bundaberg Fowler.

Good to see yours is now running well, Rod. It certainly looks suitably grubby. :thumbleft: Like the exhaust pipe, too.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri May 28, 2021 10:37 am

That looks a great little loco Rod, and your line has matured nicely too.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri May 28, 2021 3:17 pm

Glad to hear you got it sorted Rod. Looking good now.... :D

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat May 29, 2021 7:44 am

Thanks guys... :thankyouyellow

It's a nice little loco really, but I wish I had printed the sides and the grill slightly bigger, it only needs about 2 or 3 mm so it sat down better and the battery also had a little bit more room.

Still nothing to stop me printing another one or anyone else to make it bigger to suit..... :thumbright: