Headboard customisable with your own text

Place links to files you have found on ThingiVerse or elsewhere on the web which are appropriate or useful to Garden Railways
SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Headboard customisable with your own text

Post by SimonWood » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:24 pm

I had a go at creating printable locomotive headboards in Tinkercad. The benefit of printing was being able to create headboards for any occasion without the time, expense and organisation needed to get an etch made.The downside was it actually still took ages to lay out the lettering in Tinkercad - so I made it reusable with OpenSCAD since everything can be designed parametrically - even the text.

So with this you can create curved style headboards with whatever text you choose - you just have to type it in.

Additional parameters you can set include: thickness of the backboard and the lettering, the font height, and how curved the lettering will be (by setting the radius of the upper edge of the headboard).

Headboard for 16mm scale model railway trains by mrsimonwood is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial - Share Alike license.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Headboard customisable with your own text

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:33 pm

Nice one!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Re: Headboard customisable with your own text

Post by Andrew » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:06 am

Very nice!

It's little details like this that get me excited about 3D printing - I must try to play around with the work one sometime, if I can work out where it's hidden...