Resin Printing & Temperature

If you are having problems with your 3D printer or have had a problem and discovered a great solution, then share your experiences here.
SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Resin Printing & Temperature

Post by SimonWood » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:47 am

This is a theoretical problem so far. I haven't printed anything yet with my new resin printer, but that's partly because of a note that arrived inside it, to the effect that the optimal operating temperature was 20-40 deg C. My shed was at 14C when the printer arrived and with the change in the weather has got even colder, and I've seen various solutions which seem to be focused on the temperature of the resin itself, to ensure it's not too viscous to print well, including - warm the resin bottle in a bowl of warm water before starting the print (the UV light/reaction should then keep the temperature up - but the resin would have to go back in the bottle to be reheated before starting the next print); put a cover over the printer (such as a plant tent or even the cardboard box it came in); put a heater in/under the printer (heating mats, ceramic heaters etc); some combination of the above or just heat the room the printer is in up to 20C using a conventional heater (but: ouch, energy prices).

I want to make sure I have the optimal temperature before I start doing test prints so if they fail I know it's not cold that is the cause. And I could just heat the space as a one-off to do that. But I'm curious whether anyone else has had issues printing at below 20 deg C and what arrangements if any you have for keeping your printer or resin vat warm?

philipy

Re: Resin Printing & Temperature

Post by philipy » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:06 am

I have mine indoors so temps are not something I've ever even thought about. Trevor asked me a similar question this morning on my "Print Splitting" thread and I answered it before I saw your post. :)
https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 56&t=14146
Philip

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Resin Printing & Temperature

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:52 am

An interesting question!

I have had problems with resin printing both in hot weather and cold weather.

During last summers heat wave I couldn't get the resin printer to work at all - every time I set it to print something the threaded rod just sat there - it didn't even move down into the resin. I tried everything including replacing the mother board. When the weather cooled down it just started working again.

Last week something similar happened - only this time it was cold. So I have given up until I can get my workshop warm.

The really frustrating thing is that there was no indication of why it would not work. An error message would have been helpful.

I have now invested in a small wood burner for the workshop - so if and when the cold weather returns I will be able to work out there as normal. I will be able to put the fan heater away as well!

Trevor