Printer bed materials

If you are having problems with your 3D printer or have had a problem and discovered a great solution, then share your experiences here.
philipy

Re: Printer bed materials

Post by philipy » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:43 pm

ge_rik wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:12 pm It has the added advantage of making the workshop smell suspiciously like a tart's boudoir..... :lol:
...and you know this, how???
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:03 pm

philipy wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:43 pm
ge_rik wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:12 pm It has the added advantage of making the workshop smell suspiciously like a tart's boudoir..... :lol:
...and you know this, how???
I should have added "allegedly" ......

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:45 am

Well, thanks to everyone for the various inputs, this is just to let you know that I seem to have successfully re-invented the wheel. :roll: :lol:
As I said, my first test print on the glass bed worked perfctly with no aid. However my 2nd print showed a curling/lack of adhesion. This wasn't totally unexpected since it was an "h" shape approx 50mm top to bottom and only 2mm thick and the top arm of the h curled away from the bed. I tried it again with the 3DLac and it was fine, except that then I couldn't get it to unstick and had to resort to a flat blade and wooden mallet to get it off!

For reference, I had previously printed the same item on the flexible bed and it both stuck and then peeled off, with no problems at all... :scratch:

I've found some Tesco "Value" hairspray in the cupbaord ( left over from sticking foliage on 4mm treees) so I may give that a try just out of interest.
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:46 am

philipy wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:45 am Well, thanks to everyone for the various inputs, this is just to let you know that I seem to have successfully re-invented the wheel. :roll: :lol:
As I said, my first test print on the glass bed worked perfctly with no aid. However my 2nd print showed a curling/lack of adhesion. This wasn't totally unexpected since it was an "h" shape approx 50mm top to bottom and only 2mm thick and the top arm of the h curled away from the bed. I tried it again with the 3DLac and it was fine, except that then I couldn't get it to unstick and had to resort to a flat blade and wooden mallet to get it off!

For reference, I had previously printed the same item on the flexible bed and it both stuck and then peeled off, with no problems at all... :scratch:

I've found some Tesco "Value" hairspray in the cupbaord ( left over from sticking foliage on 4mm treees) so I may give that a try just out of interest.
Did I mention it only needs a very thin fine misting? I assume the 3DLac was successful it sticking it to the bed, lol :lol: . It's always more difficult to get things off glass compared to anything flexible, but IMO it's worth it for the better 1st layer quality :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:59 am

-steves- wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:46 am Did I mention it only needs a very thin fine misting? .....
Yes, I'm beginning to learn that. After Pritt, which requires a fairly even coating over the whole area on which the print will be placed, I'm having to learn how to just give it a very light swish.

How do you prevent it from gumming up the surrounding works? I'm assuming that after a while, fairly thick deposits could find their way on to everything else on the printer.

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:43 am

ge_rik wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:59 am
How do you prevent it from gumming up the surrounding works? I'm assuming that after a while, fairly thick deposits could find their way on to everything else on the printer.
Yep, that concerned me as well, but I simply took the glass off and sprayed it away from the m/c and then replaced it to do the print.

Re Steve's comment. I have wondered if I put too much on, the pump spray take a little getting used to I suspect. Certainly none came out on the first couple of pumps and then I got a sort of thin puddle.
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:12 am

-steves- wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:46 am Did I mention it only needs a very thin fine misting? .....
Yes, I'm beginning to learn that. After Pritt, which requires a fairly even coating over the whole area on which the print will be placed, I'm having to learn how to just give it a very light swish.

Rik
It just doesn't gum up, it goes on nothing like Pritt Stick which I used to use a lot in the past. One reason I changed to 3DLac was the constant washing of the bed.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:16 am

philipy wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:43 am
Yep, that concerned me as well, but I simply took the glass off and sprayed it away from the m/c and then replaced it to do the print.

Re Steve's comment. I have wondered if I put too much on, the pump spray take a little getting used to I suspect. Certainly none came out on the first couple of pumps and then I got a sort of thin puddle.
Exactly, spray it on away from the printer, the chances are you removed the plate to remove the last print, so just spray it while off and the pop it back on. It doesn't seem to have a life span before using the bed again once on there.

Give the 3DLac pump a good solid couple of pumps to start with and it should turn into a nice, thin even mist after that. If you leave it for a few days with the lid off you may need to do the same again with a couple of solid depressions and it will turn back to a fine mist again. You certainly don't need much, just a mist covering. If it doesn't turn to a mist, there is something wrong with your bottle, I have quite a few empty spares if required. :thumbup:

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:29 am

-steves- wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:12 am One reason I changed to 3DLac was the constant washing of the bed.
Thanks Steve.
How often do you find you need to clean the 3Dlac off the bed? I assume that each print removes the layer it sticks to, so there will be a surrounding area that never gets printed on and slowly builds up a thickness?
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:26 pm

philipy wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:29 am
-steves- wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:12 am One reason I changed to 3DLac was the constant washing of the bed.
Thanks Steve.
How often do you find you need to clean the 3Dlac off the bed? I assume that each print removes the layer it sticks to, so there will be a surrounding area that never gets printed on and slowly builds up a thickness?
Yes, it build slowly build up, but you will find it weeks or even months before you need to clean it, assuming your bottle doesn't go like a waterfall again :)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:39 pm

Unfortunately, the glass bed on my smaller printer isn't removable. It's glued to the heating element. I've been masking the surroundings with paper each time I spray.

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:27 pm

Could you put a second sheet of glass on top?
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:09 pm

philipy wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:27 pm Could you put a second sheet of glass on top?
Yes. I'll give it a try.

Rik
------------------------