Machine code - problem solved

If you are having problems with your 3D printer or have had a problem and discovered a great solution, then share your experiences here.
philipy

Machine code - problem solved

Post by philipy » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:02 am

I know the answer to this question before I ask it, but just in case I'm wrong, is there any way to extract the print settings from an .x3g printer file? Looking at the file in Notepad just gives the gobbledgook of apparently random letters, numbers and symbols, of course.

I did something stupid and now I can't get back to my custom settings that work. :oops:
Some while ago, by trial and error, I came up with a set of settings which are very non-standard but gave me a really good finish with PLA. I saved them and have successfully used them several times since. Yesterday afternoon I printed something off and it was perfect, then I changed back to standard default settings to get a quick test print off. When I went back to my saved custom settings, it said I had changed things and did I want to keep the changes, so I said No, thinking it meant the default settings. I was wrong, I think it was asking if I wanted the saved settings and I'd said No...!

I can get the head and plate temperature settings from the m/c display, but it won't stick to the bed so something else must be different but I don't know what. The piece that I printed successfully minutes before I did the test print, still works perfectly, I've tried it twice, so it isn't the machine itself ( levelling or gap) it must be something else that I fiddled with. I've tried slowing the print speed and I've tried playing with the infill %, but they makes no difference apart from the adding massive amounts of time to the print.
Philip

philipy

Re: Machine code - problem solved

Post by philipy » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:13 pm

Well, I say solved, in reality it has just gone away!

There seems to have been a problem with my drawing. No idea what it was, but I took the drawing apart into it's constituent groups and then put it back together again and re-sliced it and it is printing fine, where before all I was getting was a pile of spahetti and a gummed up nozzle. :dontknow:
Philip