Water tank rivets problem

If you are having problems with your 3D printer or have had a problem and discovered a great solution, then share your experiences here.
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Water tank rivets problem

Post by -steves- » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:14 pm

This one shows what I see in Cura with a "non manifold" file and the yellow one is how is should look and does look after Repetior has fixed it.

Why it does it, I have absolutely no idea? :dontknow: What I do know is that Repetior manages to fix most of the files.
Attachments
manifold4.JPG
manifold4.JPG (112.57 KiB) Viewed 4749 times
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:55 am

Steve

I suppose the main thing is that you are managing to use the files!

Im sorry that you are having so many problems with them, but it is difficult to know how to prevent this issue occurring in the future. Clearly just because I can print it successfully doesn't mean it will work for others. Of course I have no reliable way of knowing this in advance.

For example I have just printed the first class seat for coach 16.

IMG_1479.jpg
IMG_1479.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 4726 times
In sketchup the inspector identifies surface issues including "nested objects" which are the armrests which just impinge on the backrest. The backrest is curved so I cant get a flat surface to sit on a curved surface - and the only solution is to insert the armrest into the backrest slightly. When I import the stl file into the slicer it identifies issues with the surface and wants to repair the file. If I let it repair it it destroys the curved surface of the seat itself - and that is an area where there are no problems - I am sure there aren't. If I tell it to ignore the problems it just prints it out perfectly. So I really don't know if I should continue to share things that I create!

Trevor

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:36 am

Trevor Thompson wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:55 am
In sketchup the inspector identifies surface issues including "nested objects" which are the armrests which just impinge on the backrest.
Trevor,
Are you using the Sketchup "Intersect faces with model/selection" command? It's in both the Edit drop down and right click mouse.
Trevor Thompson wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:55 am I cant get a flat surface to sit on a curved surface - and the only solution is to insert the armrest into the backrest slightly.
Yes you can as long as it is touching all over i.e. inserted just enough that there is a complete junction, and then you need to ungroup/explode everything to want to stick together ( not sure whether you need to explode a component to get this to work), then select the area you want to intersect and click and you should see the blue outlines go black. and the junctions between the curved faces have a hard line showing a proper edge, whereas if it isn't properly joined is just sort of fades together.

I've just roughly knocked this up in Sketchup and all of the surfaces are properly joined together as you can see in the 2nd pic taken from underneath with the face removed.
Screenshot 2021-04-14 11.29.00.png
Screenshot 2021-04-14 11.29.00.png (149.55 KiB) Viewed 4724 times
Screenshot 2021-04-14 11.33.05.jpg
Screenshot 2021-04-14 11.33.05.jpg (42.01 KiB) Viewed 4724 times
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:51 pm

Trevor Thompson wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:55 am Steve

I suppose the main thing is that you are managing to use the files!

Im sorry that you are having so many problems with them, but it is difficult to know how to prevent this issue occurring in the future. Clearly just because I can print it successfully doesn't mean it will work for others. Of course I have no reliable way of knowing this in advance.

For example I have just printed the first class seat for coach 16.
Hi Trevor

Indeed the main thing is that I am able to use the files and don't worry about the little snags with them, these things happen, I was just seeing if anyone knew what the error meant and originally how to fix that, but also why it happened. I might try fixing them in the same slicer as you use, saving that stl file and then slicing it through Cura as that's sort of what I have been doing using Repetier.

Coach seat looks great BTW :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:50 am

Are you using the Sketchup "Intersect faces with model/selection" command? It's in both the Edit drop down and right click mouse.
Trevor Thompson wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:55 am I cant get a flat surface to sit on a curved surface - and the only solution is to insert the armrest into the backrest slightly.
Yes you can as long as it is touching all over i.e. inserted just enough that there is a complete junction, and then you need to ungroup/explode everything to want to stick together ( not sure whether you need to explode a component to get this to work), then select the area you want to intersect and click and you should see the blue outlines go black. and the junctions between the curved faces have a hard line showing a proper edge, whereas if it isn't properly joined is just sort of fades together.

Yes I have been using the intersect faces command. It does intersect the faces when you use components. However the intersected part is still there and you still get the same problem. That is the universal issue with my drawings. The only way around it it to copy and paste each component into the base component and then it will do as you have shown. Of course that negates the whole point of using components.

All I can say is that it doesn't make any practical difference to my printer and I ignore the nested objects warning. That is really what I was trying to illustrate.

Trevor