Bargain for Resin and PLA+ @ Amazon

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
philipy

Re: Bargain for Resin and PLA+ @ Amazon

Post by philipy » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:46 am

I just wondered f anyone had tried the special offer resin?

I had to reprint some of my DeWinton due to stupidity on my part, so I thought I'd give this e-Sun stuff a try.
I can't say I'm totally enamoured with it. It's OK-ish, but I wouldn't buy any more. It does print fine detail nicely and has a very nice surface finish, but doesn't do so well on big parts - it spreads and gives an elephants foot that I don't normally suffer from too much. It doesn't drain off very well (a bit viscous I think) so it clogs up the IPA wash quite quickly. Seems to cure quite quickly which is good, but the cured items seem to be fairly soft ( good for filing/sanding)but I don't know if it will harden more with time.

Be interested in any other views?
Philip

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:22 am

I haven't used mine yet. There's just one other thing I need to buy first... A resin printer. Must get on with that!

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:43 am

SimonWood wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:22 am I haven't used mine yet. There's just one other thing I need to buy first... A resin printer. Must get on with that!
I've replied on your other thread, but if/when you get a machine, I would caution you about using this free resin at first. Use some normal stuff initially and get comfortable with it before trying non-standard stuff. Personally I'm not very happy with this e-sun resin and it's at the back of the shelf for emergencies only now - I suspect that in due course it will go in the bin.
Philip

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:38 pm

Thanks. Yes, I plan to start printing with a tried and tested resin to get the hang of things, before using - or at least trying - the free stuff. Trevor has given me a recommendation for a tough resin that has worked well in his printer.

I just didn’t want to let this excuse to buy a printer go to waste!

Garethep
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Garethep » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:49 pm

I am a big fan of the eono (Amazon own brand) abs like engineering resin....I've had some really good results and its far less brittle than many resins (it can be drilled and tapped etc.)

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:34 am

Thats interesting Gareth, I hadn't really noticed that one before. There is an interesting promo video on the Amazon product page (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Brand-E ... 258&sr=8-5 ) so I think I'll give it a try.
What colour resin do you use? There seems to be a choice of grey or translucent blue ? I only ask because I've had big problems with Anycubic grey not curing properly.
Philip

Garethep
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Garethep » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:59 pm

I've used the grey and it cures nicely.....I think the translucent stuff will cure quicker especially thick sections but I haven't tried it.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:33 am

Garethep wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:59 pm I've used the grey and it cures nicely.....I think the translucent stuff will cure quicker especially thick sections but I haven't tried it.
Dunno what I'm doing wrong then. So far I've had about 6 or 8 failed prints and no really good ones, using the grey. From what I can tell, it seems to cure ok and is flexible, but the resin seems thicker and gloopier than I would have expected ( still has several months life according to the 'use by' date) and prints either pull off the plate part way through, or pull off the supports part way through the print. Using the identical files, stuff seems to print OK if I change back to the Anycubic Tough resin, so it isn't the drawing, slicing or gcode.
Philip

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:59 am

Not knowing more than I have read about them..
Could you have a 'bad' batch of resin?
If it is (partially?) opaque, how will it cure? - Will it need longer under UV?
I wonder if your 'light source' in the printer is aging, so not so powerful, and marginal with a less translucent resin?

Some, or all of this could be complete rubbish, but is thrown out as the musings of one interested, if not informed.
:dontknow:

Phil.P

Garethep
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Garethep » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:24 am

Phil P's suggestion of a bad batch is certainly credible.....I once started getting issues that went away once I finished that particular bottle. Did you check the recommended cure time settings for the resin? Each will have slightly different manufacturers suggested settings and it may be worth adding a second or 2 to the exposure timings.