Still tweaking

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Still tweaking

Post by ge_rik » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:44 pm

Hi all
It's been a while since I've posted anything about modelling and developments on the PLR. All I can say is, if your spouse/partner/better half/significant other suggests refitting the kitchen, find as many reasons as possible to postpone it ...... :shock:

I'm in the process of:
1. Printing out another Southwold 6-wheel Cleminson coach to make up the roster to three. The parts take ages to print as it's quite a large wee beastie!
2. Finishing off the 0-16.5 GVT rolling stock I printed out and constructed in January - now at last getting around to painting them!
3. Re-drawing all the GVT stock to 16mm scale, then printing them out to make sure they actually work in practice.

On the latter topic, you may recall (many moons ago) that I was having trouble with my el cheapo Anet A8 clone 3D printer giving me 'corrugations' in the vertical plane when printing. I have tried all sorts of ways of beefing-up the structure of the printer in an attempt to stabilise it. I then read (yet another) forum post suggesting firming-up the vertical rods might help. I wasn't entirely convinced, but I drew and printed out a couple of plugs to help stop their wobble .....
Anet plugs.png
Anet plugs.png (210.8 KiB) Viewed 3069 times
.....and hey presto - what a difference it has made .....

BEFORE .....
DSCN3236.JPG
DSCN3236.JPG (472.13 KiB) Viewed 3071 times

AFTER ....
DSCN3237.JPG
DSCN3237.JPG (502.93 KiB) Viewed 3071 times

If only I had figured this out three years ago!!!!

I'm now printing out the rescaled GVT stock with it and will let you know in due course how they look. BTW - I'm drawing them for 45mm and 32mm gauge and, if they work out, will post the drawings on here for download ...

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Still tweaking

Post by FWLR » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:09 am

See what you can do when you know how Rik. :thumbleft:

Unfortunately I still have some trouble with mine, especially now that Flashprint have updated to 5 and I can't use 3 or 4 because it just won't load anything. I can't get any supports to work for me, so I end up with hanging bits of filament were there shouldn't be any.

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:14 pm

Im curious about this.

Why cant you upgrade to flashprint 5? If you started off using flashprint 3 you should be able to upgrade it. Or even download Flashprint 5 from their website.

As for not being able to add supports. Again I wonder why? How are you actually slicing the things you are printing. Whatever software you use must be able to add supports.

Trevor

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:01 pm

ge_rik wrote: ↑Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:44 pm . I then read (yet another) forum post suggesting firming-up the vertical rods might help. I wasn't entirely convinced, but I drew and printed out a couple of plugs to help stop their wobble .....
I also have had my Ender 5 pro for a couple of years but was happy with most of the prints. I finally (about a month ago) printed the bed support brackets that I downloaded after a few days of owning it. Hey presto, much better prints and loads less wiggle on the Z axis. Remember it is my entire bed that moves up and down and not extruder. Wish I had done this years ago too. :thumbleft:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:09 am

Trevor Thompson wrote: ↑Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:14 pm Im curious about this.

Why cant you upgrade to flashprint 5? If you started off using flashprint 3 you should be able to upgrade it. Or even download Flashprint 5 from their website.

As for not being able to add supports. Again I wonder why? How are you actually slicing the things you are printing. Whatever software you use must be able to add supports.

Trevor
I think you have misread Trevor.
I have got Flashprint 5 and I had 3 and 4, still have in my Finder apps, but to try and load those two latter ones with a file and they just will not load, so I have to use 5. I have now worked out how to use supports by the way. Silly me didn't click on the supports icon and then slice, although they are a bit of a pain to get off I think they are too thick, so I will have to do a print with somehow getting the supports thinner.

Thank you for your reply it did jog my memory about reloading 3 and 4. I am going to have a go later after I have had a rest.