Using clay/putty to add to 3D prints?

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Using clay/putty to add to 3D prints?

Post by big-ted » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:22 pm

All, I have some 3D printed resin figures I'd like to modify by adding accessories, hats etc. I thought I could use a putty or modelling clay to do this. I've no idea what product would be good for this. I'm familiar with Millput from back in the day when the way to get 16mm scale passengers was to take Star Wars figures, cut almost through the knee, bend to 90 degrees and fill the gap with Milliput. Probably ruined some valuable Star Wars figures this way...!! :D

Looking at options, seems I have Air-dry or polymer clay to choose from. Polymer clay needs to be baked at ~135 celsius, so probably isn't a good option for adding to resin figures.

I currently have Squadron grey gap filler in my toolbox, not sure this would be very good for molding though....

Any thoughts?

GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: Using clay/putty to add to 3D prints?

Post by GTB » Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:07 am

big-ted wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:22 pm All, I have some 3D printed resin figures I'd like to modify by adding accessories, hats etc. I thought I could use a putty or modelling clay to do this.
Stay with Miliput if you are familiar with it, as it's still available. If it's not obtainable where you are, most of the two part epoxy putties available in a hardware store would do the job.

Fillers like Squadron white are good for filling cracks, dents etc., but pretty useless for sculpting in my experience.

I've got a pack of Miliput that must be 30+ years old and doesn't harden as fast as it used to, which is not necessarily a bad thing for modelling work. I also use a two part putty from the local hardware called Knead It, for when I want something that hardens fast.

Graeme

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:47 am

I agree with Graeme. Squadron White would be no good for moulding add-on bits and pieces ( actually, it's not much good for anything recently, they seem to have modified the formula).
You are correct of course that modelling clays that need highish temperature baking would be no good for adding to printed figures, unless you can make them stand alone and glue on after baking.
Milliput is probably still your best bet.

Edited to add, that I've just re-read your post prperly and realised that you are talking about resin figures not filament, although it doesn't make a lot of difference. I believe that normal resins generally start to degrade above about 180C, so it might depend on the baking temperature.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:02 am

My wargaming mate uses Green Stuff. Like Milliput, it's a two part filler but it's much finer and so can give more intricate detail. I've used it for adding hats and longer dresses to figures to make modern figures look more 1930s

https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2017/0 ... s-for.html

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:22 am

ge_rik wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:02 am My wargaming mate uses Green Stuff. Like Milliput, it's a two part filler but it's much finer and so can give more intricate detail. I've used it for adding hats and longer dresses to figures to make modern figures look more 1930s

https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2017/0 ... s-for.html

Rik
I have used green stuff, takes a while to dry, up to 24 hours, and remains slightly flexible, depending on your requirements these can be good or bad things, personally I think both are positive attributes.

big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by big-ted » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:56 am

Thanks all. I'd seen Green Stuff mentioned online. When I saw the cost at my local shop I was more convinced to stick with the advice of "stick with what you know!" Will see how rusty my Milliput skills have gotten in the last 20 years...

That said, Rick's work is seriously impressive. If I can't get something satisfactory with Milliput I know what to try next.

big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by big-ted » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:25 pm

...and the finished result:
IMG_20220424_112057-1.jpg
IMG_20220424_112057-1.jpg (183.87 KiB) Viewed 4436 times

Some of you may recognize the figures as some of the freebies given away by https://www.designscanprint3d.co.uk/ by subscribing to the monthly news letter. I find the digital files to be excellent quality, with extremely good detail. My only gripe is that most of the figures are in modern clothing, no doubt reflective of the fact that they are created by scanning actual people in clothes they likely wear every day. I've held off on buying any additional figures in the hope that some in clothing more appropriate to the early 1900s be offered. In the meantime, adding hats, waistcoats etc using Milliput is a good way to get decent looking results, as Rik has also demonstrated.

I'm using regular craft acrylic's from my local art shop, rather than expensive stuff used in the miniature figure hobby. By and large, the results are perfectly good for my needs, although my white flesh colour in particular is a little watery. I might try and mix in a bit of red at a later stage. There's also a bit of 'rubber ruler' action going on, on account of my tinplate tippers being closer to 7/8ths in scale, but I'm invoking rule 8 here. Since most of my running is done at a track open to public viewing, I've noticed that the 'human element' is greatly enjoyed by children and families, so I'm making an effort to add figures to my rolling stock accordingly. Next up, a driver for my quarry hunslet...
Attachments
IMG_20220424_122341-1.jpg
IMG_20220424_122341-1.jpg (113.4 KiB) Viewed 4436 times

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:46 pm

Hopefully Dean at Design Scan Print should soon have some period figures on offer. I invited him over to scan me and some fellow thespians from our local am dram society wearing suitable costumes from our wardrobe.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:45 pm

big-ted wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:25 pm ...and the finished result:

IMG_20220424_112057-1.jpg

They look very good.
Philip

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:56 am

I think there maybe an imminent need for crutches, walking sticks, and prosthetic limbs looking at that man-rider wagon!

big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by big-ted » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:49 pm

Ha. I did think about adding some splashers or guards over the wheels, but figured the H&S department of my railway isn't super on the ball regarding these things!