Which FDM printer?

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
philipy

Re: Which FDM printer?

Post by philipy » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:33 am

Thats interesting Hugo, thanks.
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:54 am

HugoFitz wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:15 pm Funny I've not had problems yet with "yanking " the power on a pi rather than shutting it down... I must have got lucky so far :o
I used to yank the power all the time and mine came up with a message telling me to not keep doing it. I honestly can't remember if it was a Pi message or an Octoprint message? :dontknow: Either way, it told me off and I was duly scolded :oops:

Thanks for the link on Amazon, I have one on the way now :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:16 am

BTW Steve, the way to cure your prob with Alexa not distinguishing between Ender One and Ender Two, is to reverse what you say i.e "One Ender" and "Two Ender" ( or whatever you choose) to make them sound very different commands.

Also, use the "Shutdown system" command at the top line of Octoprint, before you shut the power off.
Philip

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:23 am

Slightly different question - does anyone know if the red light in the BLTouch serves any useful purpose, and is there any way to turn it off? It's blinding my camera.
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:58 am

-steves- wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:54 am
HugoFitz wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:15 pm Funny I've not had problems yet with "yanking " the power on a pi rather than shutting it down... I must have got lucky so far :o
I used to yank the power all the time and mine came up with a message telling me to not keep doing it. I honestly can't remember if it was a Pi message or an Octoprint message? :dontknow: Either way, it told me off and I was duly scolded :oops:

Thanks for the link on Amazon, I have one on the way now :thumbup:
I have a couple of pi's in different usage. A 'non graceful' shutdown (i.e. yanking the power cord, or a power cut) would often result in corruption of the micro SD card, meaning having to rewrite the image. With a UPS in place, I now do a graceful power down even in the event of a power cut.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

HugoFitz
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by HugoFitz » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:59 am

philipy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:23 am Slightly different question - does anyone know if the red light in the BLTouch serves any useful purpose, and is there any way to turn it off? It's blinding my camera.
Useful status indicator, stick some white insulating tape over it you'll still see the LED but it's less like to blow out the image on the camera.

I've used white insulating tape over many blinding status lights over the years!

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:19 pm

HugoFitz wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:59 am
I've used white insulating tape over many blinding status lights over the years!
Yes, I had put black tape on, but I wondered if there was a more elegant option. :D
I found an "Instructable" which involved some electronic micro-surgery but I didn't fancy wrecking things.
Philip

HugoFitz
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by HugoFitz » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:39 pm

philipy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:19 pm
Yes, I had put black tape on, but I wondered if there was a more elegant option. :D
I found an "Instructable" which involved some electronic micro-surgery but I didn't fancy wrecking things.
Yep, whites more elegant because it's translucent! :lol:

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:07 am

OK, as you all know by now, I have the Raspberry Pi3B+ running Octoprint to control my 3D Printer and doing nothing else. It all works perfectly but I want to be able to occasionally manually power down the Pi safely without needing my laptop next to the printer to use the Octoprint command and so I bought the Pimoroni on/off shim ( https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/onof ... 1102600138).
My problem comes with needing to install the one line code to make it work. Since it talks about using a terminal window to load that code, I assume this requires a keyboard and monitor attached to the Pi to be able to see it? Since I don’t have that hardware attached, does this mean that I can’t use the on/off shim? Or, am I getting too complicated and is it just referring to the Terminal window that comes up on a tab in Octoprint? If so, where do I put this line in the code that is in the m/c?

Any advice more than welcome and I'll even accept a certain amount of flack for being thick! :lol:
Philip

metalmuncher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by metalmuncher » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:47 pm

The terminal it's talking about is the command line of the Pi itself. There are a few ways to get to it.

You could temporarily plug in a keyboard and monitor and run the Pimoroni script, I would guess that once its installed you don't need to keep the keyboard and monitor plugged in. This method should be foolproof, but you need a spare USB keyboard and HDMI monitor/TV.

You can use a tool called SSH to get a console session over the network. There is some documentation for this here: https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentati ... windows-10

Essentially, on a modern Windows 10, Mac, or Linux machine you should just be able to type "ssh pi@octopi.local" into your laptop's command prompt and get a console session on your RPi running Octoprint. Replace octopi.local with whatever you type into the web browser to get to your OctoPrint page, minus any http://, e.g. an IP address. The default password is raspberry, but you might've changed this when you burned the SD card for the Pi. Its not the same account you set up in the Octoprint web interface on first run. This is probably the easiest thing to try, if you can get to Octoprint on your laptop, SSH should work.

There are other methods, but the above are probably the easiest.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:50 am

Thanks Richard, sounds simple, but I'm going round in circles, unfortunately. Problem is that it won't accept my Pi password. I know it's correct because I still have it written down from when I originally set things up and I've also tried the default 'raspberry' and also 'return' for no set password, but I've seen references to this refusal being a not uncommon bug.
I have read countless sites on how to reset the password but most of them require a keyboard and monitor attached to the Rpi, and/or modifying various files. I'd be reluctant to do that based on unknown origin 'net instructions. The usb keyboard is no problem but I don't have an HDMI monitor and we only have one TV so I can't use that.
The ssh doesn't get me anywhere apart from the terminal window asking for a password with a blinking cursor that won't actually allow me to actually type anything at all, correct or incorrect.

I wasted several hours yesterday evening and then again all of this morning, so it's time to know when I'm defeated, I think. It really isn't worth it for the very minor convenience of a stop button.
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:12 pm

Philip,
You can get quite inexpensive adaptors to connect hdmi to vga, dvi and Dell displayport which would allow use of any monitor you have.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

metalmuncher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by metalmuncher » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:52 pm

Unfortunate that you're having issues.
The ssh doesn't get me anywhere apart from the terminal window asking for a password with a blinking cursor that won't actually allow me to actually type anything at all, correct or incorrect.
I think its normal for the password field to not show anything while you are typing, not even a * for each character. You just have to hope you've typed it in correctly and hit enter. But if its not coming up with something like a message saying password incorrect after trying, there something wrong and I'm not sure what it could be.

You could download a backup of the configuration in OctoPrint, wipe the Pi and reinstall with a known password, then reupload the OctoPrint configuration so everything is back to how it was, in theory. Its under Backup and Restore in the OctoPrint settings. I can understand being reluctant to try this however if you've spent a lot of time configuring it just the way you like it.

If you're having problems with the password I'm not sure if connecting to the monitor is going to help, its just going to ask you for the same password as you would need for SSH.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:24 pm

metalmuncher wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:52 pm I think its normal for the password field to not show anything while you are typing, not even a * for each character. You just have to hope you've typed it in correctly and hit enter. But if its not coming up with something like a message saying password incorrect after trying, there something wrong and I'm not sure what it could be.
I type the password and it shows nothing... then hit enter and it just shows a new line asking for the password.
metalmuncher wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:52 pm You could download a backup of the configuration in OctoPrint, wipe the Pi and reinstall with a known password, then reupload the OctoPrint configuration so everything is back to how it was, in theory. Its under Backup and Restore in the OctoPrint settings. I can understand being reluctant to try this however if you've spent a lot of time configuring it just the way you like it.
I was thinking of doing exactly that, but wasn't 100% certain where the password is stored and if it would solve the problem. I think the password is encrypted and held on the SD card, but didn't want to risk it!
Plus, even if/when I get in, I still have the potential problem of getting the line of code in and working.
metalmuncher wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:52 pm If you're having problems with the password I'm not sure if connecting to the monitor is going to help, its just going to ask you for the same password as you would need for SSH.
Sure, but a lot of the sites and forums I've looked at give various ways of getting past the block, but you need to see what is happening.

I think its a definite case of if it ain't broke don't fix it, or in this case, if it is broke but still working, cross your fingers and carry on! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for trying though, I do appreciate it.
Philip

HugoFitz
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by HugoFitz » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:50 pm

I'm assuming that you've enabled SSH as you're getting as far as entering a password.

Not sure if this will be of any help but it seems that you can stick a text file on the SD card with a new password.

https://community.octoprint.org/t/forgo ... pi/8839/11

Might get you out of your current jam!

(I have the on-off shim for another Pi project I've just not installed it yet...

Good luck :D

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:12 pm

Thanks for that Hugo, I'll give it a try when the printer isn't working. :D It seems much too easy compared with other suggestions, but there are quite a few posts on that thread saying it does work, so fingers crossed!
Philip