Dduallt Station building

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Dduallt Station building

Post by Trevor Thompson » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:34 pm

Assembly progresses:

Three end walls and two floor sections assembled:
IMG_1759.jpg
IMG_1759.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 4786 times
and the rear wall added:
IMG_1764.jpg
IMG_1764.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 4786 times
For ease of construction, if I were to repeat this, I would assemble the rear wall to the end walls first and then add the two sections of floor with the centre wall between them afterwards. It is a matter of aligning the different parts accurately before gluing them together. I am bonding the parts together initially with acetone brushed into the assembled joint - just like we always have with plastic kits. In this case the solvent is acetone. When I am satisfied with the assembly I am in the habit of adding a fillet of that ABS slurry I have already described. Fairly thick this time and administered via a small syringe (left over from administering specific quantities of medicine into a pets food).

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:15 am

The front wall printed and in place:
IMG_1765.jpg
IMG_1765.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 4771 times
and something I have not tried before, putting the stonework onto the chimney to be printed with the chimney. I wonder if it will print OK:
Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 10.12.47.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 10.12.47.png (88.02 KiB) Viewed 4771 times
Having successfully printed the sides and floor I am going to correct the minor errors before making them available to download via this forum. I will add the rest of the files as I have tested and corrected them.

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:17 am

Half of the roof has been printed:
IMG_1767.jpg
IMG_1767.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 4744 times
It was printed in two parts flat on the bed. I used the high definition setting in the slicer, and each part took 6 hours to print. The definition of the individual slates, and their overlaps are really good. It is probably the best slated roof I have ever printed! The two halfs aligned easily and were glued together flat on the bench before gluing the whole half roof onto the building.

I have placed a spare capping tile loose on the top, and it is clear that the angle is wrong, and it covers too much of the slate underneath it. However I think that can be fixed easily by shrinking the component to fit.

Trevor

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:32 am

It's coming on well, Trevor.
I'm looking forward to seeing how that chimney prints. Are you going to do it vertically as a complete item?
Trevor Thompson wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:17 am I have placed a spare capping tile loose on the top, and it is clear that the angle is wrong, and it covers too much of the slate underneath it. However I think that can be fixed easily by shrinking the component to fit.
I did exactly that when I did my "stately home". Printed one and checked it, then tweaked the scale and did another until I was happy, teh printed a long strip. If the angle is wrong, the quickest way I found to change it in Sketchup is to scale up or down in one dimension only.
Philip

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:34 am

Trevor Thompson wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:17 am Half of the roof has been printed:

IMG_1767.jpg

I have placed a spare capping tile loose on the top, and it is clear that the angle is wrong, and it covers too much of the slate underneath it. However I think that can be fixed easily by shrinking the component to fit.

Trevor
A beautiful job, and i don't mean to be critical, but roofing slates have almost (if more in some cases) of each slate under the slate above, so maybe its not the capping tile that is in error, but the top two rows, i.e. next to the top row should extend to top of the roof, and the top row done away with. Difficult to explain, but hopefully you understand where I am coming from :)

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:30 pm

philipy wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:32 am It's coming on well, Trevor.
I'm looking forward to seeing how that chimney prints. Are you going to do it vertically as a complete item?
Trevor Thompson wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:17 am I have placed a spare capping tile loose on the top, and it is clear that the angle is wrong, and it covers too much of the slate underneath it. However I think that can be fixed easily by shrinking the component to fit.
I did exactly that when I did my "stately home". Printed one and checked it, then tweaked the scale and did another until I was happy, teh printed a long strip. If the angle is wrong, the quickest way I found to change it in Sketchup is to scale up or down in one dimension only.
Yes that is what I am going to try. It will have to be in two sections upper and lower to cater for my 150mm height limit. And I did exactly what you suggested with the ridge (capping ) tile.

Trevor
Last edited by Trevor Thompson on Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:33 pm

Jimmyb wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:34 am
Trevor Thompson wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:17 am Half of the roof has been printed:

IMG_1767.jpg

Trevor
A beautiful job, and i don't mean to be critical, but roofing slates have almost (if more in some cases) of each slate under the slate above, so maybe its not the capping tile that is in error, but the top two rows, i.e. next to the top row should extend to top of the roof, and the top row done away with. Difficult to explain, but hopefully you understand where I am coming from :)
You are of course correct. I have noticed that the overlaps are not all exactly the same, and really I should have laid out the roof as a roofer would have - rather than assuming the drawing was "correct". However 24 hours of printing later I think we can live with it! The slates on the other roof are a completely different size - so the ridge tile has to be altered to suite the new roof anyway.

It still looks OK!

Trevor

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:59 am

Trevor Thompson wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:33 pm
It still looks OK!

Trevor
Don't do your self down it looks a lot better than just okay, it look great :)

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Ddaullt Station building

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:48 am

The roof and ridge tiles are all successfully printed and fitted:
IMG_1780.jpg
IMG_1780.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 4482 times
A few words about the printing. I had raised the extruder temperature to 235 degrees while printing the walls in white ABS. It seemed to improve the finish of the planking. However I forgot to reduce it again when I changed to the black filament to print the roof. I am fairly sure that this was the cause of some issues with printing the roof. The first two parts were fine, really nice finish, and clear definition, but the third part was less satisfactory:
IMG_1772.jpg
IMG_1772.jpg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 4482 times
This was difficult to photograph, but perhaps you can see that the upper part of the top but one row of slates is missing, and the top half of the bottom two rows is missing. I found a build up of cooled filament suck to the front edge of the extruder, which looked as if it was wiping away the hot abs as it was extruded. Cleaning it off seemed to solve the problem. I think that the raised extruder temperature might have caused this.

Since I primed the bed with the ABS slurry I have had no further problems with adhesion, but I am continuing to use a reft for these large flat prints. The roof was printed without raising the model off the bed, and I was able to separate the model from the raft fairly easily.

The roof tiles were printed as individual tiles, 14 at a time, on end, with the thicker part on the bed.

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Ddaullt Station building

Post by Trevor Thompson » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:32 pm

Now the chimney is printing OK. I am printing it in 3 parts lower, upper and the brickwork on the top. The two lower parts as they were printed:
IMG_1783.jpg
IMG_1783.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 4449 times
And in position:
IMG_1785.jpg
IMG_1785.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 4449 times
I will finish the chimney before updating the files on the forum.

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:38 pm

The building is now finished. Apart from painting of course.

That includes the ornate valence around the roof and porch, the finials on the ends of the roof, the porch and the urinal tucked behind the building.

The view from the back:
IMG_1825.jpg
IMG_1825.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 4363 times
and from the front:
IMG_1822.jpg
IMG_1822.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 4363 times
I am particularly pleased with the way the stonework and the brickwork on the chimney has worked out.

I will now update all of the .stl files, and check they are fault free before adding them to the files section.

Trevor

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:11 pm

I'm particularly impressed with the female figure, although she does appear to be searching for the lady's facilities and has ventured close to the gents instead!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:11 pm

She was from a file downloaded from Thingiverse, and printed on my resin printer.

I think she is out of luck, as I don't suppose ladies facilities were provided in the 1870's. Well there is no evidence in the photographs.

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:19 pm

The final files for printing this station building are now in the files section

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:43 pm

Thanks Trevor. Thats a lot of hard work to share.
Philip

Tropic Blunder
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Tropic Blunder » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:47 am

Looks great!
Jake

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:25 pm

I have been preparing ancillary fixtures to go with the station building. I have noticed that the station name boards which I printed over 2 years ago are looking a bit tired. Not the plastic itself - but the white paint I had used to fill in the background. So I have tried something to see if I can get around that for the future.

I have never tried printing in multiple colours before but this seemed like a valid reason to try it. So most of the sign was printed in white filament, and the embossed lettering and the surround printed in black filament:
IMG_1893.jpg
IMG_1893.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 4415 times
That was an easy way to get clear crisp lettering! I think that should avoid paint fading - as long as the filament does not fade.

Trevor

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:21 am

They look excellent Trevor.
I've never tried 2 colour printing, although I bought a 2 head machine deliberately so I could, but never really had a need in reality. Unless it is simple black and white like this, most of the coloured filaments are too bright and garish for reality.
Philip

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:29 am

I agree about the filament colours being unsuitable for our needs - but in this very limited way I can see the advantage of a two head machine.

Trevor

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:20 pm

Won't the print become brittle with exposure to UV? I thought painting was necessary for that reason?
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077