PETG or not PETG?

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
metalmuncher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: PETG or not PETG?

Post by metalmuncher » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:17 pm

Good to see the results of your experiment, I think I'm in agreement with Philipy regarding the usefulness of PETG for models. I do have a roll of it, but haven't really had a good reason to use it yet.

Regarding the stringing, I've seen that excessive stringing can be a result of the filament taking up water, it might be able to be reduced by drying the filament prior to use. Then again, I think PETG is just more naturally prone to strings, it might make little difference.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:42 pm

metalmuncher wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:17 pm Regarding the stringing, I've seen that excessive stringing can be a result of the filament taking up water, it might be able to be reduced by drying the filament prior to use. Then again, I think PETG is just more naturally prone to strings, it might make little difference.
Thanks for the suggestion.

The reel was vacuum sealed in plastic with silica gel bags before I used it, so I think it would have been fairly dry. The stringing was worst before I reduced the print temperature and the fan speed. I might try tweaking both again to see if I can reduce it further but, as you say, PETG does seem to be prone to stringing.

If I can't improve on it, I might try drying it out in the oven before the next print run to see if it makes a difference.

R
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:51 pm

Rik

That is all very interesting.

Particularly the issue of gluing things together. How you glue things is really an important consideration. It is partly why I started to use ABS - where the solvent glue is acetone. I had acetone in the garage left over from boat repairs.

The print quality on the wagon seems OK.

Trevor

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:16 pm

OK
I've now reached the end of the reel of PETG and reached a conclusion.

I have decided to abandon PETG in favour of PLA+

Here's one reason why .....
IMG_2287.JPG
IMG_2287.JPG (487.12 KiB) Viewed 3495 times
On the left is the sandbox for my Skylark loco printed with PLA+ and on the right is the same sandbox printed with PETG. OK, maybe I should persevere with PETG to see if I can improve on the settings, but I have come to the conclusion that for fine detailed work and small parts such as these, PLA wins hands-down.

It wasn't until the PLA I'd ordered turned up that I discovered it was PLA+, so I used the default settings in Cura for it and this was the first item I printed. Not sure any further tweaking of the settings will improve it, but you never know.

The second object I printed with PLA+ was the smokebox door handle - which is only 8mm in diameter and took 59 seconds to print. I don't think PETG would have produced anything but a blob of plastic.
IMG_2285.JPG
IMG_2285.JPG (650.36 KiB) Viewed 3495 times

Rik
PS - Anyone want to buy two unused reels of Eryone PETG?
------------------------

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:21 am

I also purchased some Petg some time ago but have only just got around to trying it. I thought I ought to as I have 3 rolls of the stuff.

Anyway, my first prints were pretty awful, so I did a bit of reading and found some recommendations on how to print it. My main issue it seems was speed, I was printing it way to fast, hence loads of stringing. With a mixture of speed, heat and retraction settings I am now getting very passable prints with it, all be it rather slow compared to what I am used to.

Not much detail on these, but here is a seat and some R1 check rails I printed with it and I am more than happy with the outcome. Hopefully the check tails won't warp like they did in the summer when I used some PLA ones.

So, food for thought, settings can make that difference, or at least they did for me.
Attachments
IMG_20211130_103000.jpg
IMG_20211130_103000.jpg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 2997 times
IMG_20211130_102951.jpg
IMG_20211130_102951.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 2997 times
16382711847294114355836021609984.jpg
16382711847294114355836021609984.jpg (3.79 MiB) Viewed 2997 times
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:34 pm

That's useful to know. I still have a reel of PETG, so I might give it another try when my PLA runs out.

Rik
------------------------

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:08 pm

Really interesting thread. Since my Adventurer 3 was upgraded to enable printing PETG I've wanted to give it a try. But I do find PLA the easiest to print, your findings Rik seem to make my PETG experimentation even less urgent...

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:33 pm

SimonWood wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:08 pm Really interesting thread. Since my Adventurer 3 was upgraded to enable printing PETG I've wanted to give it a try. But I do find PLA the easiest to print, your findings Rik seem to make my PETG experimentation even less urgent...
I would say it is worth trying as it does give a reasonable finish and a much more durable print too. Just make sure you find the right settings for your printer for petg, not just temperatures but retract speeds, print speeds etc etc.
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:47 am

-steves- wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:33 pm I would say it is worth trying as it does give a reasonable finish and a much more durable print too. Just make sure you find the right settings for your printer for petg, not just temperatures but retract speeds, print speeds etc etc.
The printer was updated a while ago with presets for PETG, which piqued my interest in the first place. But I have also got into the habit of using dedicated nozzles for PLA and ABS so I think I'd want to invest in one for PETG too as well as a reel of the actual filament - and of course the time to play with it! It'll happen... but maybe not so soon now.