Print results

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Print results

Post by -steves- » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:33 pm

Well with my birthday coming up at the end of the month, my step father decided to buy me a new 3D printer as quite literally half the stuff I print he has :thumbup:

Anyway, he bought me the new Creality Ender 6 Core-XY. It has good reviews and I was looking forward to trying it out.

It has a glass bed, of which I have never been that successful at getting things to stick to them, but I thought, ah well, try it and see. Initial prints were good but there was some small warps now and again at the edges of some prints. I have been using pritt stick and the like (Tesco one) for quite some time now, but the layers build up and give a very rough first layer. I found a thing called "3D LAC" on Amazon and thought I would give that a try.

Great results, the first layer is sooooo smooth now that I can't believe it, zero warping and once cooled it's fairly easy to get the prints off the bed.

The photos simply do not do the results any justice at all, but I can assure you that first and last layers feel like silk! :shock:

IMG_20210324_130759.jpg
IMG_20210324_130759.jpg (3.28 MiB) Viewed 2857 times
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Print results

Post by ge_rik » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:20 pm

Result!!!
No, I'm not at all envious ....... :evil:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:35 pm

They look excellent.
I think I've heard of 3D Lac, but never investigated it. Like you I found that Prit et al builds up giving an awful bed surface and I stopped using it. Will this new stuff not do the same thing over time?
Philip

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:03 pm

I've been using hairspray with a glass bed since I started (it was how the printer came and I've never changed).

Every so often, when it builds up and becomes noticeable on the print, I clean the whole plate with a razor scraper and Iso-propyl, then start building up again.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:07 am

philipy wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:35 pm They look excellent.
I think I've heard of 3D Lac, but never investigated it. Like you I found that Prit et al builds up giving an awful bed surface and I stopped using it. Will this new stuff not do the same thing over time?

This stuff comes in a non aerosol pump spray,. It puts a thin mist down and isn't noticable. So far I have only done 4 prints on it and have not had to clean it yet, but at some point I dare say there will be a build up of some description and it will need a clean.

The main issue I have found now is trying to release the prints from the bed. While hot it seems impossible but when cooled it does eventually come off, but sometimes with great effort, especially on large thin flat prints.

Can't knock it though, I would rather it be difficult to remove rather than creating a squiggly mess all over the place.

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:16 am

Out of curiosity I've been looking at the official blurb on this. I noticed that there is a fairly comprehensive review on the site by a user called HckLrd . He mentions the bed temperature for getting PLA to stick properly and a couple of other mods that he's done.
https://www.creality3dofficial.com/prod ... 3d-printer.
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:25 am

philipy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:16 am Out of curiosity I've been looking at the official blurb on this. I noticed that there is a fairly comprehensive review on the site by a user called HckLrd . He mentions the bed temperature for getting PLA to stick properly and a couple of other mods that he's done.
https://www.creality3dofficial.com/prod ... 3d-printer.
I have read his review before and he is certainly right about the speed of this thing, it's lightning fast and still gives great results, apparently all to do with the head moving and not the build plate and the fact the head area has been lightened so there is less momentum.

I am using a 60 degree heated base as he was quite correct, anything less really doesn't stick at all.

Not worried about the USB stuff and things like that, the only thing it could do with is a Perspex lid which it doesn't come with and then it would be ideal for ABS printing too, not that it can't do it now, but fully enclosed would make it so much better. Some guy on Thingiverse actually designed all the parts to make your own lid, I might do that at some point.