A Wickham trolley

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
philipy

A Wickham trolley

Post by philipy » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:37 pm

Following my recent request for inspiration, and not finding anything that grabbed me in back issues of SMT, I turned to my own stockpiles of idea for "one day" and there I came across pictures of Wickham trolleys. Something that I have thought about more than once but wasn't sure I could get all the gubbins in the small engine compartment and never took any further. My mental image of a trolley has two or three open frame cross benches and a small, more or less square engine housing in front of the front bench, but looking again at the pics I realised that the earliest models had a full length, enclosed centre bench with the engine underneath and that certainly has enough space for a motor & gearbox. I also discoverd that many of them ran with a matching open tool truck, which gives me the potential space for batteries, sound equipment, etc. I also found that although the majority were standard gauge, Wickham did produce 'special' narrow gauge versions. So I've spent a few hours over the last few days drawing up a Type 17 trolley based on a British Railways one in an exhibition in Shildon 10 years ago, but narrow gauge.

It still needs some details but this is the result so far:
Screenshot 2021-03-14 12.15.37.jpg
Screenshot 2021-03-14 12.15.37.jpg (187 KiB) Viewed 5655 times
I have a motor and gears and some other bits on order, and once they arrive I'll get the chassis design sorted although I have a fair idea of how I think it will work out.

More to follow....
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: A Wickham trolley

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:42 pm

Great idea Philip, one I would never have thought of, so following with interest.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

thornmini
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by thornmini » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:19 pm

Looks like a lovely project --- and very fitting. Already wanting more!
Waldeker EisenBahn

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:13 pm

I think that somewhere I have an old copy of RM with a scale drawing of the later style Wickham trolley and trailer. Standard gauge. I believe they were often kept in a lineside shed equiped with a miniature turntable to put them onto a siding.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:34 pm

invicta280 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:13 pm I believe they were often kept in a lineside shed equiped with a miniature turntable to put them onto a siding.
Yes, the turntable was a standard fitting although I can't make out where/how they carried it. There was no reverse on most of them so it had to be turned to go back to where they started from!
Philip

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:57 am

Made a start by printing the front.

My original intention was to print it as one piece, but on closer thought, I realised that there were too many different layers which would need support and be difficult to clean up, so I split it into 4 layers:
Window frame, front boarding, intermediate layer with internal framing, and then two vertical timbers ( the two horizontal bars on these are simply to keep the alignment and will be removed).
This shows all the bits straight off the printer:

I've also printed the roof.Following what others have said I tried printing it vertically. First time I've tried anything thin ( 1.5mm thick) and tall and it seems to have worked better than I could have hoped.

Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:54 pm

philipy wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:57 am

I've also printed the roof.Following what others have said I tried printing it vertically. First time I've tried anything thin ( 1.5mm thick) and tall and it seems to have worked better than I could have hoped.
I always print roofs on the end. 1mm is too thin and 2mm is a bit thick so I think you have it bang on at 1.5mm :thumbup:

Looking very good so far, and looking forward to seeing more as this progresses. :D
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:44 pm

This is a terrific project. Enjoying seeing the progression via photos of the prototype, CAD drawing, printed parts...

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:59 pm

A bit of an update:

1) The three main components of the ends glued together and the front glued to the underframe.
2)The cantilevered seat glued to the engine cover, but that is not yet glued, simply placed in position for now.
3) One of the two footboards.
4)Test print of the chassis. This will fit up inside the engine cover with the longitudinal frame members siting on top of the axle boxes. The chassis will hold the motor, as seen but slightly further in (I forgot to leave a cutout for the motor connections!), plus the gears, plus the battery.
5)Test print of one wheel which seems pretty satisfactory so far.

I have a couple of other cunning plans but waiting for bits, which should have been here this morning but weren't!!! :angry5:

Philip

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:29 pm

Good progress. Looking forward to seeing this in action.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:36 am

Looking good. Should look great pottering about on the track.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:51 am

ge_rik wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:36 am Looking good. Should look great pottering about on the track.

Rik
Absolutely! You've really captured the utilitarian look of the prototype...

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:17 pm

Just in case its of interest:

I have found reference to an unmanned 2 ft gauge wickham trolley which was used at Raytor Target Railway on Dartmoor! (Wikipedia).

Trevor

So they did make them as narrow as 2 ft gauge.

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:20 pm

Thanks Trevor. I didn't know about that one specifically but I did know the War Office/ MOD had several on various narrow gauge lines including Longmoor, where it was used in The Great St Trinians Train Robbery. There is a preserved ex MOD one at Amberley and there were a couple on the IOM.
They were all post-WW2 as far as I know, but I see no reason why there couldn't have been earlier ones where the documentation has sadly got mislaid!!
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:14 pm

Philip,
You know you want to...

Looks like it just gets balanced and then spins on a capstan. Although the picture above seems to have a different arrangement.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:23 pm

Thanks Phil, that's the first picture I've seen of the T/T itself although I haven't looked specifically. I can see it has 4 separate parts that slot together for use but I'm still not sure how it was carried around on the trolley though. Might look into it a bit further when I've got the basic machine sorted.
Philip

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:49 pm

I've been doing some digging and although I've not found anything particularly relevant to my project, I did come across this amazing Wickham trolley version exported to India in 1932. This has to be up Peter Butler's street?
http://hgcreasey.co.uk/wickham-ware/wic ... rks-no-494

Whilst on this site, take a look at the other headings, there are some amazing road vehicles that are crying out to be modeled.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:08 pm

philipy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:49 pm I did come across this amazing Wickham trolley version exported to India in 1932. This has to be up Peter Butler's street?
Too right Philip, that is a posh Wickham and I love it! The bucket seating looks really comfy too.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:56 am

On the subject of the turntable, I've found this video showing how its done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrf0tpoRES8
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:30 pm

philipy wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:56 am On the subject of the turntable, I've found this video showing how its done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrf0tpoRES8
Well done for finding that! It really is as simple as it appeared to be then. Presumably there were variations in the central pivot point employed, hence the differences in the photos.
Personally, at our scales, I think 'the hand of Dog' is easier :lol:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077