Thingiverse Bug Boxes

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Thingiverse Bug Boxes

Post by Trevor Thompson » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:29 pm

Simon

That explains it!

Printed in two parts and glued together. Its the joint I could see.

I agree with the comments about superglue - it ALWAYS lets go - sooner or later, probably at the most inconvenient moment.

As you know I am not concerned about the minor surface imperfections. I learnt a lot when painting old cars. The trick is to apply as thick a layer as you can without it running. Too thin a layer and it never covers anything. You always think it is going to be far too thick but it contracts when it dries - what you are applying is mainly solvent which evaporates off leaving little of what you applied on the surface.

Trevor

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:54 pm

Trevor Thompson wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:29 pmI agree with the comments about superglue - it ALWAYS lets go - sooner or later, probably at the most inconvenient moment.
Best thing to do is bear in mind it is neither super or glue, then you won't go far wrong.

It is now a shadow of the product it was when first launched about 50 years ago.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:57 pm

philipy wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:41 pm These are what I was refering to.
The annotations make it clear! Yes - we're looking at the hole for the brass rod in the first and last pics, and the poorly glued join in the middle.
Why do you use superglue? I wouldn't let it within a mile of something like this. Both PLA and ABS stick beautifully with PlasticWeld ( Dichloromethane) and I think Trevor uses Acetone. Both of which can be applied with a brush exactly where you want it without messing about and takeno more than a minute or two to be handleable.
Because I'm a masochist! :lol: I looked at using dichloromethane, you can get big bottles of the stuff, and was scared off by just how carcinogenic it appears to be. Yet PlasticWeld looks fairly innocuous. Are we talking about this stuff? If it works on PLA I'm ready to give it a go.

I've used Liquid Poly on ABS. Trevor is using acetone on ABS. It's much easier to get a strong accurate join than superglue. But... It doesn't work on PLA.
Trevor Thompson wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:29 pm I agree with the comments about superglue - it ALWAYS lets go - sooner or later, probably at the most inconvenient moment.
I agree too! It's the main reason I'm looking forward to the weather warming up and switching to ABS!
TonyW wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:54 pm Best thing to do is bear in mind it is neither super or glue, then you won't go far wrong.
Amen.
Trevor Thompson wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:29 pm As you know I am not concerned about the minor surface imperfections.
Not all of the surface imperfections are equal. There is a distinct line half way up the lower panels that you can see on the porthole side here, and it's also on the First side I haven't photographed. It's puzzling me a bit... it's clearly not in the STL/gcode yet it's happened twice in the same place... but hopefully it'll be fairly imperceptible under the paint and from a few feet away.

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:27 pm

Simon

Yes that is the stuff.

Trevor

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:01 pm

Trevor Thompson wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:27 pm Simon

Yes that is the stuff.

Trevor
Yes, agreed and it is available in 250ml cans direct from EMA.
Philip

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:39 pm

I've created my modified side for a 3rd class bug box, and I'm going to experiment with printing this in different ways (since I don't mind ending up with more than one 3rd class coach!)

First up it's gone to the printer in one piece, printed vertically with supports. I'll post back on how (if) it comes out!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:45 pm

Nice!

You could do a further variant quite easily - during the late 20s at least one of these was patched up with vertical match-boarding under the windows - SXsiTiI6MTIwLCJQIjp7InZhbHVlIjoic21hbGw ... jpudWxsfX0

I'm planning having a go at one like that at some point, although it's in the second half of a lengthy "to do" list...

Cheers,

Andrew