Thingiverse WARNING

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Thingiverse WARNING

Post by ge_rik » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:59 pm

Another thought

The CC licence allows us to share and redistribute STL files which were uploaded to Thingiverse provided we acknowledge the creator and source. It also allows us to remix them - eg resize them for our scale.

The search engine on Thingiverse isn't the most efficient - it can sometimes takes ages to find something appropriate. If I've read the conditions of the CC licence correctly, members could legitimately upload STL files which we've found on Thingiverse to the forum 3D files section. I've certainly accumulated a few items which I found on Thingiverse which I've found useful.

In this way we will eventually compile a set of resources for our scale in one central location - a sort of one-stop-shop

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:06 pm

ge_rik wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:59 pm If I've read the conditions of the CC licence correctly, members could legitimately upload STL files which we've found on Thingiverse to the forum 3D files section. I've certainly accumulated a few items which I found on Thingiverse which I've found useful.

In this way we will eventually compile a set of resources for our scale in one central location - a sort of one-stop-shop
Thingiverse search is awful so a one stop shop would be really convenient. Great idea! And yes, CC licences allow resharing, providing you credit the creator and make it clear the licence you are sharing it under.

But - especially given the issue with the number of file attachments on the forum - wouldn't it be easier and use fewer forum resources to create a (pinned?) thread for people to post just links to 'Thingiverse' finds in? We could add notes too (e.g. printed it scaled up by 167% and with supports, etc.)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:20 pm

SimonWood wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:06 pm
Thingiverse search is awful so a one stop shop would be really convenient. Great idea! And yes, CC licences allow resharing, providing you credit the creator and make it clear the licence you are sharing it under.

But - especially given the issue with the number of file attachments on the forum - wouldn't it be easier and use fewer forum resources to create a (pinned?) thread for people to post just links to 'Thingiverse' finds in? We could add notes too (e.g. printed it scaled up by 167% and with supports, etc.)
Good idea. I was just concerned that sometimes links become lost if the site is revamped. However, to keep our upload file quota under control links might be worth the risk.

Let's start off with a single thread, but if it gets unwieldy, we might later break it into sections.

Rik
------------------------

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:50 pm

Easiest way to look for things on ThingiVerse is to actually use google's search with a site clause:

Site:Thingiverse.com <search>

e.g Site:Thingiverse.com 16mm wheel

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:12 pm

BorisSpencer wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:50 pm Easiest way to look for things on ThingiVerse is to actually use google's search with a site clause:

Great advice, thank you. Hadn't even thought of that :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:59 pm

-steves- wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:12 pm
BorisSpencer wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:50 pm Easiest way to look for things on ThingiVerse is to actually use google's search with a site clause:

Great advice, thank you. Hadn't even thought of that :thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:46 am

philipy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:08 am
FWLR wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:06 am
Has for being involved with discussions on how to use files and setting a thread up, I wasn't told or asked for my minion opinion.
At the time of those discussions you had neither a 3d printer nor Tinkercad, so there would have been little point in asking your opinion, anymore than the 1100 or so other members in a similar position.
FWLR wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:06 am
There is one idea though, is it possible to put files on a kind of general PM thread.
A reasonable thought, however unfortunately PM's can't carry attachments. I know because I've wanted to do that myself in the past.

An option would be to not actually post the stl's to the board, but 'advertise' what is available with a photo and then anyone who wants them to PM the originator.
That is what I was intending to do, by editing my existing posts, before I realised that my platform faces had actually been pirated from Thingiverse not here. However, personally, I still would prefer to trust our members to honour the intent, especially now that all of mine carry CC licences and it is also covered by default in the "Readme" post at the top, but it is always an option for anyone who wants to do that.
Your'e at it again Philip, no, "Hi Rod", "The reason was" would have been better Phillip don't you think...... :thumbleft:

I do like your'e idea for PM'ing the originator however, then it would be kept between originator and the member at the time, then if used which I would have thought it would, when completed a little note of acknowledgement of who was the originator would be a lot better I think. Members who do make a file would have it in their own files on their own laptop, PC or whatever they use wouldn't they. There would be no chance of anyone ignoring the copyright then at all would there. If a member did use it for anything else, well if it was me who built the file, that member wouldn't get anymore and could be flagged for it.....

I for one don't put things on FB or anywhere else now. Too many idiots about for my liking.....

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:48 am

That is also a good idea Boris, using Google. I do like sometimes trawling through Thingi, you find all kinds of wonderful and bizarre things....

:lol :lol :lol

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:50 am

FWLR wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:46 am

Your'e at it again Philip, no, "Hi Rod", "The reason was" would have been better Phillip don't you think...... :thumbleft:

I'm AT nothing!
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:01 am

Oh dear......

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:15 pm

Just to let everyone know, you can actually PM files now, I can't recall how many off the top of my head or what size they can be. Just had to make a small admin change as it was set wrong, should work now.
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/