Southwold Wagons (Rik's)

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Southwold Wagons (Rik's)

Post by FWLR » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:19 am

Hi Rik,

I am a bit, well a lot :roll: confused with your files on which ones to print and build a wagon. Has you know I am not the brightest when it comes to anything like this.... :dontknow: Other members with a lot more intellect than I, will understand what it all means I'm sure......

I have given up with trying to build a file myself because even with TinkerCad's fairly easy way of building something, I just can't get my head around it and i'am sure the other members are fed up with my constant questions on how to do something. A bit like this question I am asking you.

I can't and am not going to get rid of my printer, it's there to be used and it will be, but not as I intended sadly. :( :(

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Southwold Wagons (Rik's)

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:33 am

Hi Rod
Have you opened the ReadMe file which is included in the first folder? It describes the construction process but maybe I need to clarify which files need to be printed.

Basically, you need two sides and two ends. You also need a floor and the two solebars - one with the brake lever and one without. You also need two spacers to get the spacing right for the solebars depending on whether you are using 32mm or 45mm track.

I've shown how to construct a couple of my wagons on my blog. This should help you work out which parts to print out.
https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2020/1 ... hwold.html

https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2020/1 ... inted.html

https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2020/1 ... hwold.html

Rik
PS I'm assuming you realise you need to import the STL files into your slicer and turn them into GCODE files which your printer needs. Don't give up on your printer yet, Rod. It takes a little practice but it's well worth the effort in the early stages.
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:33 am

Thank you for your prompt reply Rik. I did open the ReadMe file and yes your blog does indeed show me which file to print. I am going to print complete wagon of and see how it goes.

On the spacers and the solebars, do we print them off on pairs or one at a time. It doesn't matter to me how they are printed, just thought it may use a little less material..

Thanks again Rik. :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:39 am

ge_rik wrote: ↑Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:33 am

Rik
PS I'm assuming you realise you need to import the STL files into your slicer and turn them into GCODE files which your printer needs.
Haha yes I do import them to Flashprint Rik and GCODE them to the printer.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:53 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:33 am On the spacers and the solebars, do we print them off on pairs or one at a time. It doesn't matter to me how they are printed, just thought it may use a little less material..
It doesn't really matter, Rod. I tend to print them together (I also print two ends at the same time as well). It will save a tiny amount of filament if you use brims, as you can put the parts close together and they share the same brim.

Good luck ..... :thumbright:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube